2017 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Looks like I'll be scheduling meetings all day Friday, won't be able to make it to the job sites
I'm going to make the crossing, anyone else heading out? The 24 lber was caught on a green spatter back hoochie in 400' of water at the flats. I'm on the Bayliner 245 Cruiser, the only idiot out there running manual downriggers.

...Is it Friday yet?

We'll be out there but not until later in the afternoon, around 2ish.

It looked pretty nasty out off Jericho on my way into work this morning(That was at 6:15am). Going to head out first thing tomorrow. The winds look fishable compared to today.

Mike

It looked pretty nasty out off Jericho on my way into work this morning(That was at 6:15am). Going to head out first thing tomorrow. The winds look fishable compared to today.

Mike
Cheers thanks, I pulled the pin on the idea of going out pretty quick.

making the run across tomorrow and staying on gabriola till sunday. still seeing lots of fish?

Yup. LOTS. If you're not getting on them in relatively short order... MOVE. Try fishing selectively and you may catch better quality too. Be ready for anything... a few more larger fish in the mix in the mid-upper 20 lb class like the pic a few posts up. Just talked to someone who fished there yesterday who lost 2 about that size.... and one larger estimated in the 28 pound range which broke the Sickle hook off the new Homeland Security spoon.

Not much going on at thrasher.
Just one undersize. Heading in soon.
Be out tomorrow am.

Making my fist crossing from Port Moody to Thrasher tomorrow morning (leaving after 9). Weather looks good so hoping for the best. My new Hewescraft is stuck behind another boat I'm working on so I'm taking my 28' Bayliner Contessa fly bridge instead (fuel will be spendy but I enjoy her). I was out last Friday at the hump off Bowen Island and caught a nice one just before packing up. Never been on the golf island side for fishing but I'm really excited from what I hear. Would be great to ping someone out there but don't know what channel everybodys on. Will post how it went later.
IMG_2135.JPG

We picked one up at Thrasher yesterday. Ripped over, got there just before 8. Had some equipment issues so only managed to start with 1 line in water. Within 5 seconds of lowering to 120' had a big hit, but didn't stick. As I was clipping on rigger to lower again, spoon was taken on surface. Undersize. So within 30 seconds of fishing we have 2 hits. I was thinking this was going to be pretty epic. But we decided to go to Silva to sort out our equipment issue as we wanted at least 2 lines in. Well we found out Silva has no gear. Filled up with gas, back out there, my bro rigged a temp set up to deal with our equipment issue that worked pretty well. By 10am we had another couple of fish to the boat, one keeper, 2 unders, then it went real quiet. One more under before we packed it in at noon and came back over.

Not many boats over there - maybe 6 that we saw. We saw one boat that looked like it was into a good one, and saw another couple of fish netted. It was ok action, but not what I thought it would be. Fished Homeland and a Lighthouse Glo spoon.

If I was to do it again, I would probably only fish 15-20 mins in one spot and if nothing doing, pick up and move north/south/east... wherever I felt lucky. We fished in anywhere from 400-600 feet of water, anywhere on rigger from 110-190. Most hits came in the 110-140 range.

I'll be leaving Richmond around noon, staying at Silva Bay and fishing tomorrow too... I'll be in the 27' trophy and listening into channel 71 and 88... I don't mind cel # swapping too, PM Me.

Nice work lads, sure is nice out here. Just the one keeper for me though

Finally, got the limit. Off shore.

Last edited:
Back