OFFICIAL 2016 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friday and Saturday at Thrasher reef and out in the deep. Missed a couple that seemed like good fish, a few under size and killed two 10 and 14 and 4 nice ling !

Friday and Saturday at Thrasher reef and out in the deep. Missed a couple that seemed like good fish, a few under size and killed two 10 and 14 and 4 nice ling !

I'm hoping to make my way out to Thrasher later this month. I have never fished for lings before and was wondering what the recommended set-up and method is? From doing a bit of research it would seem that drifting over the right type of structure is important but what about lure type, bait, and/or presentation? Thanks.

Out all day Sunday. Mid-teens at 90 feet around noon at the QA. Good morning bite, lots of little ones and one larger fish that got off. Went completely dead after that ...... headed out to hump to finish the day, very clear water, boxed a keeper at 16o feet at 5pm. All chovy's.

I'm hoping to make my way out to Thrasher later this month. I have never fished for lings before and was wondering what the recommended set-up and method is? From doing a bit of research it would seem that drifting over the right type of structure is important but what about lure type, bait, and/or presentation? Thanks.
Large herring and p-cod work great. You just have to drift around different spots in 40-80' of water !

I tried to cross the straight yesterday but it was lumpy for 16 feet. Pulled the boat up to Sechelt inlet and fished 9 mile point for springs and lings. No love for either but saw a nice spring taken. Seems like the lings have all been taken there lots of rockfish though, used to the hot spot for lings but fished out, hope the same doesn't happen for thrasher because it sounds like that's the way it's going.

Anyone been out at all as of late? I thinking of hitting tide change locally. Wondering if anyone has had any luck as of latE. Thanks

I've never hit HITW. Curious what the inflow/outflow situation is like in the sound. Can a person in a smaller craft (15 foot closed bow ) get in and out early before the wind picks up? How long do the 'flows' last...like if I get stuck in the roughness and end up ducking behind one of the islands, how long does one have to wait before it usually calms down?

I've never hit HITW. Curious what the inflow/outflow situation is like in the sound. Can a person in a smaller craft (15 foot closed bow ) get in and out early before the wind picks up? How long do the 'flows' last...like if I get stuck in the roughness and end up ducking behind one of the islands, how long does one have to wait before it usually calms down?[/QUOT

Shoukd be fine launching at sunset, then your right there. Usually pretty calm water. The rough spots are ususually further north into the sound

I've never hit HITW. Curious what the inflow/outflow situation is like in the sound. Can a person in a smaller craft (15 foot closed bow ) get in and out early before the wind picks up? How long do the 'flows' last...like if I get stuck in the roughness and end up ducking behind one of the islands, how long does one have to wait before it usually calms down?

I've been at HITW with nasty inflows on my 28 Comand bridge and couldn't even get the riggers down. No reprieve around the islands either. I'd avoid going in anything other than calm waters with a 15'. Just my opinion.

so if the winds come up from the south west tomorrow, would a small boat be better off to try hole in the wall or spanish banks to the bell area? does horseshoe bay block the south west wind at all when fishing HITW?

Three nice smiley guylies there Bobba Boy, but without the magic depths and wobbly lures, you're doing nothing but bragging!

I hope to get the tubby tub out in the chuck tomorrow, Out to the ding-dong and I hope to KABONG some black mouthed kingly dings!

OLAY!

For weather in howe sound use the ec howe sound forecast. Wind is either inflow (southerly) or outflow (northerly). Either can make for rough conditions around hitw, although typically the really strong winds are outflow. If you are launching in the harbour you will be exposed to northwestern flow out of the strait rounding pt Atkinson. Usually not to bad if the strait is blowing SE.

but without the magic depths and wobbly lures, you're doing nothing but bragging!

OLAY!
I kind of resent that remark!
this coming from someone living vicariously thru an imaginary talking horse, your kind of over the top with that ****!
it wasnt funny 40 years ago and its not now either. if your looking to get spoon fed I aint the one to do it, its all been discussed here numerous times if you care to read back a page or two.
this is a sport fishing forum not the mickey mouse club house....grow up!
its because of this kind of crap I dont post reports anymore,

Hahah hookin'up could you be more sensitive? Don't post if you can't handle a small 'needle' fish. El kabong keep doing your thing, probably my favorite poster on the forum

I kind of resent that remark!
this coming from someone living vicariously thru an imaginary talking horse, your kind of over the top with that ****!
it wasnt funny 40 years ago and its not now either. if your looking to get spoon fed I aint the one to do it, its all been discussed here numerous times if you care to read back a page or two.
this is a sport fishing forum not the mickey mouse club house....grow up!
its because of this kind of crap I dont post reports anymore,
I couldn't agree more!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back