Your favorite Spoons

Oh ok I'll tie that one again to fix that. Still thinking about welding rings though

AP says to have the single ring in the drilled hole, and tie to the double ring part.

This helps too, especially on the smaller light spoons like the 3” sand lance or 2” herring shape. Sometimes tying tightly to the welded or split ring on a small spoon inhibits the action. So a loop knot is recommended. Here’s a great diagram of an easy to tie version.

IMG_9425.jpeg

Last edited:
AP says to have the single ring in the drilled hole, and tie to the double ring part.

This helps too, especially on the smaller light spoons like the 3” sand lance or 2” herring shape. Sometimes tying tightly to the welded or split ring on a small spoon inhibits the action. So a loop knot is recommended. Here’s a great diagram of an easy to tie version.

View attachment 103470
Damn, thanks! I wondered about the inconsistency of a welded ring. I'm definitely going to use that one.

View attachment 103470
Or use one of these on your leader and you get a the quick change feature as well
1708699220177.png

I personally would avoid a loop knot onto a split ring. The loop knot moves around freely and could wear on the split ring where it steps from single to double ring. A clinch knot should stay in place where you tighten it down.

I bought a pack of the smaller versions to try out. Adding weight to a 2” spoon might affect it but removing the split ring and using this instead is a thought too.

The loop knot does work well though.
If anything the quick change will allow freedom of movement making the spoon more active. there is no additional weight added to the actual spoon as you are towing or trolling. Use the smallest size possible that will allow the spoon to move and without comprimising the strength of your set up. I suggest 25lb quick change as a minimum.

If anything the quick change will allow freedom of movement making the spoon more active. there is no additional weight added to the actual spoon as you are towing or trolling. Use the smallest size possible that will allow the spoon to move and without comprimising the strength of your set up. I suggest 25lb quick change as a minimum.
The weight upfront can affect the action of the spoon by dampening it. Using a swivel on the nose of a small spoon is not recommended either.

The weight upfront can affect the action of the spoon by dampening it. Using a swivel on the nose of a small spoon is not recommended either.
In my experience a quick change will not effect it in any substantial way. I simply remove the ring from AP spoons and connect directly.

In a previous post, I had mentioned removing the split ring and using that thin coast lock on a trial basis. Most of my comments are from Andrew himself though. Plus my own world experience.

As is all of mine. There is no wrong way to entice fish as long as you are catching. I am always learning and experimenting. I don't live in a box and I do not follow the norm. :)

Andrew's spoons are a favorite of mine and have been top shelf choices of mine in numerous areas around Vancouver Island.

Attachments

• 20240223_122947-01.jpeg
    20240223_122947-01.jpeg
    312.9 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
As is all of mine. There is no wrong way to entice fish as long as you are catching. I am always learning and experimenting. I don't live in a box and I do not follow the norn. :)

Andrew's spoons are a favorite of mine and have been top shelf choices of mine in numerous areas around Vancouver Island.
Have you tried the 2 inch herring spoon yet?

Back