Yamaha tilt trim problem

swhip

Looking for a little help as I try to save a few bucks without making things worse. As many before me have experienced, the tilt trim motor on my Yamaha 9.9 leaked and was corroding. I took off the cover, cleaned it up and got it working better. Seems now I might have lost a little trim fluid in the process? Motor runs but struggles to raise the unit. Question: Is the refill hole the hex bolt or the flathead screw in the picture? Yes I realize the flathead screw on the side (not pictured) releases pressure in the system to move the engine down.

Attachments

• 20230314_124947.jpg
    20230314_124947.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 58
  • 20230314_124947.jpg
    20230314_124947.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 58
I appreciate the suggestion. As a new boater between YouTube and this forum I've taught myself a lot. Strangely, I can't seem to find any video showing the setup on the 9.9 I pictured. I figure it's not all that comolicated but thought someone might be able to ID the right screw before I trial and error it.

I’ve added fluid through the flat head bolt, filled until poured out. Remember to trim up and down a few times after then slowly open flat head to let air burp out.

Hey SWIP......did you have any issue loosening the flat head bolt? I am having issues as well but that bolt will not budge. I was reluctant to try too hard at this point with fear of totally stripping it. Mine is weird, I can hear the electrical activating tilt, but the engine will not move.....at all. I thought it weird that i all of a sudden had zero fluid in it........any other thoughts? Anyone?

Hey SWIP......did you have any issue loosening the flat head bolt? I am having issues as well but that bolt will not budge. I was reluctant to try too hard at this point with fear of totally stripping it. Mine is weird, I can hear the electrical activating tilt, but the engine will not move.....at all. I thought it weird that i all of a sudden had zero fluid in it........any other thoughts? Anyone?
I used an impact screwdriver to loosen that screw. The manual kind you hit with a hammer. Worked no problem. I would also guess low fluid...how/why...no idea. I managed to get everything working on mine without replacing anything so maybe you'll have the same fortune.
ATF fluid works as replacement for trim fluid... Dexron III I think. Good luck!

I just finished reparing my yamaha tilt trim system as well. What happened with mine is it was fully operational except that the seal at the top of the ram where it exits the housing was corroded and it had swelled from seawater crystalizing behind it. This locked the piston inside the assembly and the motor didnt have enough power to overcome the resistance.

If it still doesnt move open the bleed screw and see if you can manually retract the cylinder as it could be stuck like mine was. @17 ft sea ranger

Those little tilt units on yamaha 8 and 9.9 motors are notorious for allowing seawater into the electric motor and wrecking it. its a very terrible design. i ended up replacing the motor on mine at the obscene price of over 400$ back in 2017 and then the brand new one started leaking too in 2021 but i caught it in time and only had to replace the brushes (also obscenely priced at 80$ each) and the bearings the second time around. This time I learned my lesson and using marine silicone i sealed the whole bugger properly including the wiring. it's rediculous the amount of money they charge for these motors and they have such a poor design. I'd recommend anyone who has even a new one to take it apart, seal it with silicone and put it back together as it will fail and you will be in it for a lot of money to repair. It is difficult to tell if yours is leaking, as they will work for a while with water in them and then catastrophically fail suddenly.

Back