Yamaha Cowling Latch Stuck Closed

Tips Up

So I went to do oil change yesterday and found the rear latch on Cowling is seized. Can't move it and afraid to break it.
Anyone have experience with with this issue?
Odd as I had it off last summer. Never had this issue before.

Thanks in advance

Maybe try to hit it with a little lube/anti seize and let it sit for 24?
Tried some WD as that is all I had on hand. Will try something better but I don't think I can get at the part that must be seized. I believe it is the latch inside. Google has a bit on it and it's an issue. May have to drill cowling. Was hoping someone here may have experience with it. Stupid by design from what I read and Yamaha has changed the latch.

Tried some WD as that is all I had on hand. Will try something better but I don't think I can get at the part that must be seized. I believe it is the latch inside. Google has a bit on it and it's an issue. May have to drill cowling. Was hoping someone here may have experience with it. Stupid by design from what I read and Yamaha has changed the latch.

Graham phone up Chris at Forsche Marine. He is like the yamaha whisperer. His shop is on Sidney area close 2 u. Maybe just give him some cash drive it down.

Had the same thing happen to me. Right at the end of the warranty period. SG fixed before they went belly up. $175 in parts and three hours labour. After taxes $565. Sucked but my home repair option was on the verge of breaking it.

HEAT and any kind of rust breaker.. its usually the different metals used in the hinge or springs. can be a total pain if it the type with the cables that run on the inside of the cowling.

Got a motor given to me because of a seized latch. The frozen part was under the cowling and no way to lube it so I drilled a hole in the aluminum engine housing. Used a drift punch to work it free. Looked at a functional motor to drill the right spot. It would have broken by hand. Good luck. Plug the hole with jb weld

Back