Yamaha 300 Offshore or Twin 160's

it all boils down to affordability and risk. The less risk tolerance the higher the propensity for twins. If you have money to burn buy twins and don't look back.

Routine runs of 20+ miles offshore are done with singles - don't convince youself you need twins to fish the banks.

I would feel totally comfortable with a reliable single main and a strong kicker offshore. I'd only go if the weather was good anyways.

Obviously twins with there own fuel tanks are the best triples even better but I'm mean how many of our wives will let us get triples!! Anyways I have had six boats with single and a kicker and now the first with small twin 90's. yes there is a little more maintaince cost but I bet when your trolling that a bigger motor is cheaper on fuel then a kicker working against the current and wind. I have always had pretty decent and well maintained motors and in 6 years i have had one break down on my main on the water. The main wire harness came unclipped on my optimax dead in the water but when I found it was fix and flashed back up. Motors these days are very reliable bring so extra fuel filters and travel in a group good to go!!

Love the twins!

I have had several boats with twins, and several without. I really like the twins for reliability, safety, maneuverability, will never go back. Kind of nice to pull up to a spot and not have to mess around with a kicker, they troll so slow now adays that I can cutplug on my mains. My one boat with twin 90hp 4 strokes gets the same fuel milege as my other boat with a 350chev/ alpha setup (23-24ft boats). If you are going with twins, the Kobelt dual station setup is sweet.

Back