Yamaha 250 stopped idling down

bigdogg1

Hey there, about to crack open the repair manual and the internet but want to start here first.

Motor: Yamaha 250 four-stroke, ~ 450 hrs, typically can troll down to 500-600 rpm before pulling into neutral.

Issue: Ran house battery down today and decided to troll w/ main to charge house and to keep fishing. Could not drop the rpm's below 1000, making it hard to shift (and troll...). But the bigger question is what would cause the idle to increase to 1000 as its low point?

Where to start? Thanks.

It also seems to have a higher rev/rpm when I turn on the ignition switch than normal. It comes back down but only to 1000.

Gremlins! Hopefully!!! Got home, looked over all the options, took the cowling off and looked at the fuel line. Decided I really didn't know where to start so threw the muffs on. For whatever reason, I decided to press the warm up button in the middle bottom of the shift control lever. Moved the lever back and forth a few times. Put it in neutral, started up and dropped down to 500-600 rpm :). Perhaps a slightly stuck linkage? Who knows? Will head out this week and give it a trial.

Before I read your last post I was going to say hung up throttle linkage or cable.

Thanks all. Also hoping it is a cable or linkage issue. Moved the lever back and forth - seems okay but time on water will tell. Did notice a bit of blue build up just inside the cowling connection so knocked that off as well.

Well, awesome results! After knocking off a bit of blue build up just where the cable enter the engine cowling, all worked as before 5-600 rpm.

Thanks again of inputs.

Back