WTB hunting rifle for teen

Tips Up

The ideal find would be a compact 7mm-08 or 243.
Looking for a deer hunting rifle for my 13 and 16 year old kids to use.
I have PAL and kids will be completing their CORE next weekend.
In Victoria.
Thanks

Cheaper is better but with scope under $1,000. Ideally closer to $600.

Last edited:
check out canadiangunnutz online forum -->https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/forumdisplay.php/64-Exchange-of-Hunting-and-Sporting-Rifles, also worth looking or calling depending if your looking for used or new are island outfitters in vic, gone fishing in duncan/nan/port or cabelas in Nanaimo
Thanks for gunnutz link. Lots of resellers there. Looking to buy from the guy they are buying from without the mark up. I have island outfitters looking forward me. I know them well. Just putting feelers out. Sometimes best deal is just right place at right time. Maybe someone here has rifle sitting around they did not have up for sale yet.

Thanks for gunnutz link. Lots of resellers there. Looking to buy from the guy they are buying from without the mark up. I have island outfitters looking forward me. I know them well. Just putting feelers out. Sometimes best deal is just right place at right time. Maybe someone here has rifle sitting around they did not have up for sale yet.
https://store.prophetriver.com/cons...40mm-dead-hold-bdc-reticle-only-100rds-fired/ The 6.5 is similar in recoil and performance to the 7mm08 and more than the 243 but this is a decent price if your looking for all in between 600-1000 bucks.

Rifle prices have gone through the roof! Seen many "$750" combo are now well into the low $1K range due to new regulations.

Good luck!

New savage axis combo would be well within your budget, they do shoot well for the money although the fit and finish isnt the greatest. Also check ammo availability for the calibers u mentioned. Some are cery hard to come by, there does seem to be lots of 6.5 creedmoore and 308 available. Others not so much . Can tire langford has a better selection than cabelas or outfitters , but pricing on rifles is retarted. Good luck with your search .

New savage axis combo would be well within your budget, they do shoot well for the money although the fit and finish isnt the greatest. Also check ammo availability for the calibers u mentioned. Some are cery hard to come by, there does seem to be lots of 6.5 creedmoore and 308 available. Others not so much . Can tire langford has a better selection than cabelas or outfitters , but pricing on rifles is retarted. Good luck with your search .
Thanks. I will look into a combo or more likely support local and buy from island outfitters if it comes down to buying new.
I have a 308 that I picked up last year just because is friend was selling but prefer something with less recoil. When I find something I will likely sell the 308.
I hunt with an old CIL 30:06. Going to suck if kids end up with nicer rifle than me. Although I have shot many animals with this rifle so I’m pretty comfortable with it and it’s ability.

TOUGHEN them up I shot my first deer at 10 with a 303 then at 14 got a 30-06
you already have the 308 they should be able to handle it...LOL LOL

If you have a 308, start them out with a 22 to get used to the noise, and get good mechanics without flinching, then just pick up reduced recoil loads in 308 they work great on island deer.

Thanks. I will look into a combo or more likely support local and buy from island outfitters if it comes down to buying new.
I have a 308 that I picked up last year just because is friend was selling but prefer something with less recoil. When I find something I will likely sell the 308.
I hunt with an old CIL 30:06. Going to suck if kids end up with nicer rifle than me. Although I have shot many animals with this rifle so I’m pretty comfortable with it and it’s ability.
If you have a .308 you have the gun for them. Very minimal felt recoil from one to the other. Get some light loads for the 08’ and let them get used to it. A 150 grain from a 08’ is a fine shooting cartridge for younger shooters.

150 grain .308 doesn't kick that bad. They won't even feel it when it comes down to the kill shot. Buck fever will be a bigger problem.

Yes they have shot .22 lots. Yes they will shoot the 308 with 140 grain if I don’t find something else.
But I’d still like to get a 243 or 7mm-08 to add to the cabinet. They do have less recoil. And I have about 30 fishing rods so why shouldn’t I have 3 rifles.

So anyone have a rifle for sale?

You were 6ft 200lb at 10 years old though.
Lol
I know you will find this hard to believe i was small kid .. smallest on the team on hockey but would take on the bigger guys sort of like a rypen
when I graduated I was 5 foot 7 . true story (ill spare the grad pic ) when I went to my 10 year grad reunion they went WTF as at 18 to 20 I grew to 6 foot 3

i strongly advise looking for ammo availability before you shop for a rifle. it’s getting harder and harder to find.

for example a 6.5 Creedmoor. incredible round and just about perfect for a youth.

it’s pretty neat $80 for a box of decent creedmoor ammo if you can even find it.

my bro is forever trying to find ammo for his creedmoor

@Tips Up So sorry to hear of this so late. My father passed away in December of 2020 and I did inherit his gun collection and would have gifted a .243 to you for our kids. (LOVE to pay it forward) Unfortunately it sold a month or so ago. With my Dad's collection I was willing to pass on or trade for a bottle of wine to simply have them go to a good place and to those who would appreciate.

If you and your kids are interested in muzzleloading I do have a couple left. Likely with lots of supplies.

Back