My son’s one and only day of rifle hunting

Steplift

As the title goes it was a one day deer season for my 14 year old guy boy that is I got three days this year. We moved to Calgary a few years ago and getting back home to go hunting with my father with my son has been difficult. Family and work commitments take a toll on my extra circular activities but when I do get out it seems to all come together. I got out for two mornings with my dad looking for elk and spent the afternoons drifting alone through some great deer country. The rest of my family got up from to join me on the evening of my second day. Up and out early to get to our spot and get into it before light. Well the wind picks up harder and harder snow blowing gross and nothing moving horrible morning. We put on a few miles anyway and spot a spike buck decide it’s home time for breakfast and regroup. Check the weather channel wind is dying down perfect gather up the gear jump into the truck and off we go. We get to the chosen spot close to where dad and I had run into a good buck the day before chasing a doe that almost became fatal for him. The afternoon of his one and only day slipping away he passed on a little three point that gave us a close up look. On the way back out to the truck we’re chatting about supper and a warm beverage a buck comes running out of the bush spots us and turns broadside ready to vanish back into the woods. Kalum was quick with his gun with an encouraging shoooot from dad BOOM his 270 barked the buck stretched out and wheeled into the tree line. We backed down the cut line a 100 yards and pulled out the phone to warn the family we’re likely going to be late for supper. We gave it 40 minutes darkness is pretty much upon us and we start tracking but it’s to dark in the thick bush. So I pulled out my phone turned on the light and we found one little drop of blood a few yards in. Slowly we followed the track that went from five or six jumps to a few steps no more blood a little disappointed we continued on a few more yards. Oh look he must have skidded under the tree why would he do that dad? Look beside you I your almost stepping on your buck.

Attachments

• A1A35495-62C8-4324-AF8A-7E11A0A760D7.jpeg
    A1A35495-62C8-4324-AF8A-7E11A0A760D7.jpeg
    206.1 KB · Views: 181
  • D44B1A7A-6CC3-4B4B-AB6B-CFA01133E0D1.jpeg
    D44B1A7A-6CC3-4B4B-AB6B-CFA01133E0D1.jpeg
    461.6 KB · Views: 176
Wow,, awesome deer.

Please give your boy a pat in th back for me.

From someone who chases whitetail extensively that is one dandy buck and it may be many years until its duplicated.

Too bad it broke that G4 off in development would have been a crazy nice buck.

As the title goes it was a one day deer season for my 14 year old guy boy that is I got three days this year. We moved to Calgary a few years ago and getting back home to go hunting with my father with my son has been difficult. Family and work commitments take a toll on my extra circular activities but when I do get out it seems to all come together. I got out for two mornings with my dad looking for elk and spent the afternoons drifting alone through some great deer country. The rest of my family got up from to join me on the evening of my second day. Up and out early to get to our spot and get into it before light. Well the wind picks up harder and harder snow blowing gross and nothing moving horrible morning. We put on a few miles anyway and spot a spike buck decide it’s home time for breakfast and regroup. Check the weather channel wind is dying down perfect gather up the gear jump into the truck and off we go. We get to the chosen spot close to where dad and I had run into a good buck the day before chasing a doe that almost became fatal for him. The afternoon of his one and only day slipping away he passed on a little three point that gave us a close up look. On the way back out to the truck we’re chatting about supper and a warm beverage a buck comes running out of the bush spots us and turns broadside ready to vanish back into the woods. Kalum was quick with his gun with an encouraging shoooot from dad BOOM his 270 barked the buck stretched out and wheeled into the tree line. We backed down the cut line a 100 yards and pulled out the phone to warn the family we’re likely going to be late for supper. We gave it 40 minutes darkness is pretty much upon us and we start tracking but it’s to dark in the thick bush. So I pulled out my phone turned on the light and we found one little drop of blood a few yards in. Slowly we followed the track that went from five or six jumps to a few steps no more blood a little disappointed we continued on a few more yards. Oh look he must have skidded under the tree why would he do that dad? Look beside you I your almost stepping on your buck.
They still make 14 year old like that?! Nice work.

And now hooked on a great sport for the rest of his life! Going to take a lot of work to out do that. Good going on the deer!:)

Back