WTB 250 hp Yamaha or Suzuki 4 Stroke

There is a lot of stress on that pod. The weight of the motor. Added continual motion. Force when under power. I’d be making a new one. You’ve got a perfect template to build a new one using the old. You can cut corners in other ways. That’s one serious single point of failure. Just one mans view.

build a new pod, not going to be easy or sound to weld to that one

I agree. I would be concerned about the integrity of the existing metal due to the extent of the damage. I bought a project boat two years ago, and while a challenge, it was also fun to do. I look forward to following this one.

Sandblasting it and drilling holes for a brace bracket first will tell you if you have clean and structurally sound aluminum to work with.

Hi All, just wanted to keep this thread going as I haven’t found a solid outboard to date, I have looked at
a few but nothing solid yet. I know it’s early but any leads on decent used lowish hours outboards is much appreciated , thank you.

That boats rated for max 250 HP. While the 300 weighs the same you could have issues from an insurance perspective. Trust me a new 250 will push it perfectly. You can buy a new F250 for a few grand more than that well used 300.

Hi Pescador, interesting that you mention that it’s rated for max 250. I am getting lots of information from people and websites that now say the 228G Seafarer is rated up to a 300hp , even the Grady White 228 G specifications directly. The school of thought seems to be that there weren’t 300 hp outboards back in 1999 and most engines were 2 stroke and a bit lighter. But now the 4 strokes are getting lighter and comparable in weight to those old 2 strokes and most of those 225, 250 and 300 engines are all built on the same block, they are just detuned using the ECM and a laptop. But having said that my goal is to get a 250 if I can, there just seems to be more used F300 Yamaha’s around at the moment for some reason, thanks.

It’s true the new models are rated for 300 hp. But older models were rated for 250 hp. Not sure what year they changed but yes it’s related to the 4 stroke evolution and reduced weight. I’m guessing the hull could manage the added performance. It’s the insurance issue I was worried about. I put on a new F250 in July on my 228G. The performance improvement going from an F225 to a new F250 was very noticeable. I used to cruise at 28 mph at 4100 rpm. I now cruise at 3700 rpm getting the same speed. The hole shot requires less time and motor strain. Top speed at 5800 rpm with low fuel one guy on board and all the usual gear is 48 mph ( only done twice while breaking it in ). With a 300, you’d probably get well over 55. Not sure you need it.

Last edited:
I can’t agree with you more, a 250 HP is my first choice and a great engine, I don’t need to do more than 30 mph on the water, thanks for the information, Don

Picked up the Suzuki for $10,500 all in with 180 hours, controls, gauges, stainless prop, previous owner to replace impellor and anodes at their cost. I've been a Yamaha guy for the last 22 years so this is a bit of a leap of faith for me. Bought a new 2019 9.9 Suzuki and dual binnacle at Breakers in Port Alberni as well for trolling.

Picked up the Suzuki for $10,500 all in with 180 hours, controls, gauges, stainless prop, previous owner to replace impellor and anodes at their cost. I've been a Yamaha guy for the last 22 years so this is a bit of a leap of faith for me. Bought a new 2019 9.9 Suzuki and dual binnacle at Breakers in Port Alberni as well for trolling.
That is a sweet deal for such a lower hour units. Nice find !

Back