World Juniors.

walleyes

Crew Member
Not supposed to have Christmas dinner with our family‘s but they can play hockey. Oh well gives us some entertainment and distraction from it all.

Any predictions out there, I’m not really up on our jr’s at all but will be getting into it all over the coming days.

tough break for team Canada with our captain Kirby Dach having to leave the tournament. I’m sure the blackhawks didn’t want him to go anyways and now he’s hurt in an exhibition game. I was excited to see what Dach could do in the WJC but I think we are still the most stacked team

i love watching the tourney but i can’t stand how Toronto Sports Net pumps it up to this “ bigger than life” event. it’s a hockey tournament. i mainly watch it now to get a glimpse of Canucks prospects. The russian kid Podkolzkin looks like the real deal. went end to end and almost scored and laid out one of the canadian kids big time yesterday.

Love watching this tournament every year. Definitely sucks losing Dach for the tournament, he was going to be fun to watch. But Canada is a deep team so others should step up. Interested to see how Byfield does in his second tournament. Hoping for no more covid related issues throughout the tournament and of course hoping to see the boys singing O Canada as the flag gets raised at the end of the tournament

And every game has enormous importance. The only thing better is Olympic play with NHL players available. In either format you get huge pressure, with the most skilled players on the big ice with room to move. No time for fighting or playing the trap, and ANYTHING can happen.

I like tournament style one-and-done series far better than bloated four-round NHL playoffs where the best players are mostly injured by the time finals come around. Different, marathon approach with durability winning out over speed and skill. I known the NHL will never change, I'm just glad the Juniors tournament is there to give us a taste of a different way. Wish the NHL would go back to Olympic play though, don't they understand it showcases their product so well?

Me and wife went and watched it live last year in the Czech Republic, bucket list trip! Was an amazing trip as we went to Budapest for Christmas, then to the Czech to watch every game Canada played including them beating Russia for the gold. It is the best tourney to watch as those kids are not only playing for themselves, but more importantly for their country! We saw it last year!!!

Saving up for Sweden in 2024!

Cheers

SS

Good for our guys to get tested in today's game. Slovakia had them locked up tight almost all game and they did well to hang in there and not show the frustration they surely felt at not being able to get their speed game going.

I think the euro teams have a big advantage as their players had already been playing in leagues for a couple of months, so far I'm not impressed with Canada and wasn't impressed with the coach and players comments after the slovakia game, they need to be much better against any of the top 3 euro teams (rus fin swe) and the us if they are to have any chance to medal. typically canada improves a lot game by game but this time I don't think 1 pre tourney game is enough for them to gel into the team they could be this year. I put bets on the swedes and fins before the tourney started and would be happy to lose those bets to see canada win but imho they will need a lot of luck to make this happen. I hope all of you had a good xmas and may 2021 be a huge improvement over 2020 for all of us. cheers nicnat

Agree, I think our guys are at a disadvantage coming in with no game play since March. Also likely to see more injuries too, if the NHL return to play was anything to go by.

Also, can anyone explain why Tim Hunter isn't head coach this year?

Given the lack of actual playing time as mentioned I'm surprised at the level of play and some individual efforts have been outstanding.

Also, can anyone explain why Tim Hunter isn't head coach this year?
With that schnozz? greater risk of getting the ‘rona. I can poke fun at him cause i’m related to him ( although i’ve never met him) fun fact: his nose has never been broken and his mom looked identical to him! my dad described her as a “handsome” woman!

Good showing today, they cracked the code after the Swiss had them pushed out wide and stifled in the first. Some intermission magic in the locker room perhaps because they found a way to impose their skills game after that. Lots of hard work as well, turning loose pucks into points and some rocket shots from the D just tearing through the goalie.

Always the key in tournaments is to get a little better each and every game. They're doing it so far.

Good showing today, they cracked the code after the Swiss had them pushed out wide and stifled in the first. Some intermission magic in the locker room perhaps because they found a way to impose their skills game after that. Lots of hard work as well, turning loose pucks into points and some rocket shots from the D just tearing through the goalie.

Always the key in tournaments is to get a little better each and every game. They're doing it so far.
Yup much better showing today, it should be a good game tomorrow, big advantage for canada as finland is playing slovakia today, finishing 1st will be huge for canada going forward, there will be a big difference in the quality of opponent they play in the 1st knock out round.

Back