Winter Storms.

Glad to see so many fellow Islanders are working through this nasty weather event and staying positive. Refreshing to hear people talk about how they can be better prepared or even were prepared for this kind of event, so often all we hear is complaints about how long it takes for help to arrive.

I was lucky this time and was only without power for about 9 hours, but well remember in years past where we lost it for days. So glad to have a wood stove a generator and a portable radio, along with our camping lanterns etc.

For those of you still impacted here’s hoping you have a very Merry Christmas and all the best in the New Year. Also for the Hydro crews and First Responders, thanks for your hard work and professionalism.

Yes good point ziggy, let's hope everyone's has a good Christmas and please remember those workers out there that have families at home that they would like to be with and can't because they are out there trying to make everyone else Christmas enjoyable.

My thoughts and gratitude to the workers out there, take care people and be safe man.

I cancelled my second trip to port alberni that day after having a feeling i would be into some trouble and i was right , we had three drivers spend the night in port after the road was closed, did one load today and was stuck in traffic whiskey creek to cameron lake is an absolute disaster, hope they get those families some power for christmas , also my fiance’s parents house in deepcove hada 75 foot fir tree topple over on it .. took three days to get an 80 ton crane there to remove it.

Last edited:
Thinking of the boat insurance thread, how much is boat insurance going to go up after all these claims that are going in, maybe won't be enough to change it any, but yah never know, just depends on who the over writers are.

I wish. I could afford a 30 Commander if i had those plants.
My secret was start working construction with my dad when I could walk, start my own company after finishing my apprenticeship at 20 and then work harder than all my friends for the past 17 years. And then marry up... after divorcing the first mistake.

Back to the storms!

Just on the outskirts of Duncan and power just came back on early this morning after over 2.5 days.Many people still out and no hope that it will be restored before Christmas.Also 2 fatalities that I've heard of including a young homeless woman who was
crushed in the tent she was living in.Bought a 3000 watt genset the morning after the storm at a local shop and they had already almost sold out of the 30 units they had in stock and were taking orders for dozens of more units.The Valley here got hit pretty hard !!

Out in Errington down close to the falls and no power since 10am Thursday. Generators keeping the fridges and freezers going. Couple lights and the tv and DVD. Have an above ground pool full so water for the farm animals and boiling water in a turkey fryer for baths and dishes. Got the butane burner and Coleman stove for cooking. Fingers crossed that power is back on Monday. Could have been a lot worse. Mad respect for the hydro workers doing their best.

Out in Errington down close to the falls and no power since 10am Thursday. Generators keeping the fridges and freezers going. Couple lights and the tv and DVD. Have an above ground pool full so water for the farm animals and boiling water in a turkey fryer for baths and dishes. Got the butane burner and Coleman stove for cooking. Fingers crossed that power is back on Monday. Could have been a lot worse. Mad respect for the hydro workers doing their best.
We’re going out there this morning, to start getting up and running.

Back