Winter Storms.

walleyes

Crew Member
Just wondering how everyone is making out with the recent storms. I was just reading an article in the NP about power being out to a big area. I took a snap shot of the pic they had up and in it you can see at the end of the dock one boat isn't doing so well. I bet there are some awesome surf waves out on Long Beach lol. I'd like to see some footage of that.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canad...-clock-to-restore-power-to-british-columbians

Attachments

• IMG_4908.PNG
    IMG_4908.PNG
    1.6 MB · Views: 103
Campbell River Coast Guard was out in some knarly waves the other day. Not sure if it was training or rescue. IMG_0295.JPG IMG_0296.JPG

Power came on last night. 54 hrs without power and I thank stars we had fuel and generator going. There are many houses around us that wont have power on for Christmas, and that sucks. Trees and power lines down everywhere. Mid island was hit the worst. There was damage to some key infrastructure in some areas. From talking to homeowners a lot were unprepared. It's something to think about as a earthquake would be worse.

People are totally un prepared, I need to adjust a few things, but we had are generator going just for the fridge and to charge somethings fireplace on for heat. We lost power for 37 hours. A friend lost her sailboat at white rock but it’s a good wake up call

How are the two guys who recently moved to the Island making out?
Got our first real snow in the Okanagan overnight. 1-2 cm. I was raking the last of the maple keys that came down from the remnants of the wind storm yesterday. Strange winter hear so far.
Best wishes that those who have planned are able to offer some comfort to the neighbours who have not if the power stays off.

Last edited:
Anacortes. Why do people build so close to the water?

49051484_10157331666741320_1279446413603766272_o.jpg

We’ve been working 16’s for two weeks trying to restore power to the Sunshine Coast, storm after storm. They just sent us over to the Island and told us to pack for a long time.

Attachments

• 8ECB7FDA-BD31-47CA-B3E6-2F27F0F2843C.jpeg
    8ECB7FDA-BD31-47CA-B3E6-2F27F0F2843C.jpeg
    289.3 KB · Views: 114
  • 05DA48AB-9633-4E6E-A2B0-B4CC42320B26.jpeg
    05DA48AB-9633-4E6E-A2B0-B4CC42320B26.jpeg
    396.6 KB · Views: 111
  • D3B7D912-6E46-431A-B5CA-2D437D7CD12F.jpeg
    D3B7D912-6E46-431A-B5CA-2D437D7CD12F.jpeg
    283.7 KB · Views: 112
We’ve been working 16’s for two weeks trying to restore power to the Sunshine Coast, storm after storm. They just sent us over to the Island and told us to pack for a long time.
We didn't lose power in Vic, but I thank all the hydro crews working to restore power to our neighbors up and down the coast and islands!!

Just got power back on in sunny Saltair. Think chemainus is going to get going today sometime. Been out since Thursday around 1 pm

The power has Been out at my place in cowichan and I don’t expect it to be back for a few days judging by the carnage that remains in our area (sahtlam) this storm was like no other I have seen since I have lived on the island. I can’t imagine if it was a bit colder and we had some snow and ice on the trees.

Thursday morning we were working away it was a beautiful start to the day then bam at 1030 the wind started power went off 15 min later and we knew we had to get out of there or we would be trapped (west shawnigan).

We are very thankful no serious damage was sustained to our property besides a few trees down in the bush. We knew when we bought in a rural area this was a real possibility so generator was on the must have list. We keep good amounts of freshwater also just in case but after the dust settles I will be looking at options to get my well to run off the gennset.

Glad to see so many fellow Islanders are working through this nasty weather event and staying positive. Refreshing to hear people talk about how they can be better prepared or even were prepared for this kind of event, so often all we hear is complaints about how long it takes for help to arrive.

I was lucky this time and was only without power for about 9 hours, but well remember in years past where we lost it for days. So glad to have a wood stove a generator and a portable radio, along with our camping lanterns etc.

For those of you still impacted here’s hoping you have a very Merry Christmas and all the best in the New Year. Also for the Hydro crews and First Responders, thanks for your hard work and professionalism.

Back