Winter storage tips

I bang together two 2x4 a-frames and attach em with a 2x4 ridge board. The ridge board is a couple feet above the windshield and goes from transom to bow then I tarp over that. Both ends stay open for lots of air flow.

I bang together two 2x4 a-frames and attach em with a 2x4 ridge board. The ridge board is a couple feet above the windshield and goes from transom to bow then I tarp over that. Both ends stay open for lots of air flow.
I have done the same. I take all my stuff out and set up my framing then put the blue tarp over it and tie it down. Have never had a problem over the last 8 years.

It will depend on the boat. If you have an enclosed cabin, a small heater will prevent condensation on the windows. In my enclosed cabin I use a heater that has a fan.
I'd say you need all 3 - heat/movement/exchange. Also keep the bilge as dry as possible.

It will depend on the boat. If you have an enclosed cabin, a small heater will prevent condensation on the windows. In my enclosed cabin I use a heater that has a fan.
I'd say you need all 3 - heat/movement/exchange. Also keep the bilge as dry as possible.
I find with cabin space you really need to dehumidify it well first. Wet feet and summertime relative humidity leave the space damp. On the bayliner I ran a heater and fans with all the windows open for a couple days as soon as the temps got down toward zero. Once it dried out the saucers did the trick to maintain. On the commander I have to leave two fans going whenever I leave it now with two windows open a crack. Cuddy and bathroom doors open. 200 sq ft of living space is a different beast altogether.

Yeah the best thing you can do for a boat is put it under a shelter where it stays dry. Get a portable shelter. Highly recommend it and will save you money.

In the cuddy I put one of these in. You can pick them up at any marine store.

upload_2020-9-29_14-22-9.png

I don't really winterize. I use boat over winter. Mechanical things need to be used. I have an inboard so I just keep doghouse ventilated open up so air flow around motor. Always drain manifold and HE after trip when it gets cold out.

I'm building another boat shed to keep sun and rain off. I plan to fish in the winter and summer, the humidity may turn things green but will run ceiling fans to promote airflow.

Attachments

• boat shed.jpg
    boat shed.jpg
    526.3 KB · Views: 76
I'm building another boat shed to keep sun and rain off. I plan to fish in the winter and summer, the humidity may turn things green but will run ceiling fans to promote airflow.
Looks like you’re getting settled in nicely

Looks like an awesome spot you have yourself. How far from the water are you.

Oly

I have a question on these things, can you simply lay them on the feet, direct on the cabin floor? Or could they melt gelcoat? 150 degrees max, im going to put one of these in the main seating area. The shed I am wet slipped in is sealed up amazingly tight even with the rolling door and high ceilings so it can be humid. Thx

Last edited:
I have a question on these things, can you simply lay them on the feet, direct on the cabin floor? Or could they melt gelcoat? 150 degrees max, im going to put one of these in the main seating area. The shed u am wet slipped in is sealed up amazingly tight even with the rolling door and high ceilings so it can be humid. Thx

they come with a clip-on holder you need to screw down somewhere. I use 2. One is clipped on the ceiling of the cabin and one is dangling off the other one by its cord. They’ve warm but not hot to touch.

Last edited:
Back