me and a buddy are planning a trip for next summer
we are bringing our own boat
just wondering where to stay?
Is there any marina/campsite spots?
fuel?
ice?
restaurants?
best time of year to go? june? july?
we are looking for big halis mostly and salmon fishing when the weather doesnt permit
any information about the area as neither of us have fished it would be good...
how long of a run to the normal spots?

CS is correct about all that and I can't be emphatic enough about watching for the SE winds. End of July would be my choice for salmon' May june would be it for bottom fish and from 15 aug on would give some great coho fishing inside- not too wx dependant. I fish there at least 10- 3 day periods a year but I have the luxury of only going when the wx forecast is favourable, Winter Harbour can disappoint if you are going on specific calendar dates-try and give yourself a few days leeway as to when you go. I don't mind showing you all the spots to fish-unfortunatly as time goes by they have become increasingly off-shore. Keep in touch-I always report on the WH thread-sometimes as early as April.

we will be running in a 19' whaler outrage
we are more then cautious with the weather and will be sure to be safe out there

we will be running in a 19' whaler outrage
we are more then cautious with the weather and will be sure to be safe out there

X2 on both the other posts and the end of July would be my choice for SALMON! Especially, the last week of July, and/or first week of August. Your best salmon fishing will probably be offshore around the 300-foot contour line, about five - seven nautical miles off Kains Island. Me for salmon, I would be heading 270 degrees magnetic for 6.9 miles, fishing just south of Top Knot Rockfish Conservation area, and it would be very early in the morning. It is very much “unfortunately as time goes by they have become increasingly off-shore.” Watch your over and under salmon regulations and the Rockfish Conservation Areas, especially, Top Knot, Holberg Inlet, and Brooks Bay.
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/opportunities-possibilites/PN/2010/27-ch.pdf

“we are looking for big halis mostly and salmon fishing when the weather doesn’t permit” With that statement I am assuming your target is specifically halibut? I would go either the end of May through June, BEFORE they get fished out and you have to run offshore for them! Halibut can be found in Quatsino Sound early in the season, but don’t rely on that for a successful trip. During spawning season (generally November to March) halibut adult fish move to deeper waters near the edge of the continental shelf. They migrate to the shallow waters in late spring and summer, including in Quatsino Sound (and get fished hard). So, if I were going to target halibut, I would be there looking for them in that May - June time frame. Honestly, if I were planning on fishing Winter Harbour specifically for halibut, I would even give one of the LOCAL charters a call and confirm what i have just stated. Plus, if I am not mistaken ask when the Marble River Chinooks run, as I believe they are a Spring run? Might want to confirm that, also – as they could be a very nice bonus to your trip!

You can either launch at Coal Harbour and leave you vehicle there (I suggest a locking gas cap and remove anything valuable) and run to Winter Harbour. Winter Harbour also does have a boat launch. Right across from the campground, so with a 19’ foot Outrage, I personally would just just tow it in. As far as were to moor, there is a large government dock, mentioned which I have never had any problems with room. I would suggest tying on the inside of it. I have stayed at Dick’s Last Resort and if it is in your budget would recommend. Plus he has a large freezer for your catch. Here are some contacts for you, I don’t guarantee the phone numbers, as its been a while since I have used them:

Campground with RV parking Phone: 250.969.4343
Dick’s Last Resort 250.969.4240 : http://dlastresort.com/
Windcatcher Lodge: http://www.windcatcherlodge.com/index.html
The Outpost: http://www.winterharbour.ca/fishing.htm
Qualicum Rivers Fishing Resort: http://winterharbourbc.com/
Wayne Ridley’s Charters (250) 969-4200: http://www.ridleyfishingcharters.com/index.htm

Your early mornings are usually calm and flat, with eight to ten foot swells normal. Around noon, the winds pick up and the swells will build to ten to twelve with 2 foot wind chop on top – that is normal, I have seen them much larger… and that’s when you need to be careful in that Outrage.

If you noticed, I also have a Whaler. I love it and it is the best offshore boat I have ever owned, but it is also a Conquest 295 with cuddy cabin = enclosed bow. The 19’ Boston Whaler Outrage – which is also a great boat, and “Its 12" draft lets you ply shallow backwaters, yet its V-hull entry, 22" interior freeboard and 60-gallon fuel capacity make it equally suited for heading offshore.“ That is right off their website, but that open bow boat is a tad small for running very far offshore and in the Winter Harbour area, being an open bow, be prepared to get very WET, especially after noon. I'd also say that it is not wise to venture far in any small boat (open bow or not), unless you watch the weather closely and are highly experienced and skilled; particularly in a single engine outboard. Those who do have a lot of sea experience offshore believe in O'Tools Law. Mr. O'Tool, theorizes that Mr. Murphy is overly optimistic. While a 19’ foot Outrage is a great boat, I personally would caution anyone running it to either Brooks Bay (Brooks Peninsula) or Cox Island… and don’t even think about Triangle Island! And whatever you do, DO NOT ANCHOR THAT BOAT OFFSHORE!!!! It may not sink, but it will founder, rollover, and capsize. Those areas are also known to have some “confused seas” (if you don’t know what that is – look it up) - Be careful!

X2 on both the other posts and Plus, if I am not mistaken ask when the Marble River Chinooks run, as I believe they are a Spring run? Might want to confirm that, also – as they could be a very nice bonus to your trip!
[/FONT][/SIZE]

Marble River chinooks are not a spring run, they come in during the fall. Big fish, there was talk years ago that a fish of 102lbs was netted in the river while getting brood stock.

You can also launch your boat out of Coal Harbour which is a 20 min drive from Port Hardy. I believe the run up the inlet is 45-60min. It saves trailering along the Holberg road, which can be a rough gravel road at the best of times. This way you can choose whether to fish the Port Hardy side or go for the Winter Harbour side. You can catch good Hali out of Hardy also. Just gives you more options.

I agree with Mrwood -Marbles are definatly a summer run hence the restriction to retention above cliffe point after aug-1- I released one in front of the marble sept 5 this year that was pushing 50 while fishing for coho. Charlie is right though people don't realize that April May brings fabulous spring fishing on the highway. Charlie and I can argue over a beer whose run it is but they are there . Everything (almost) goes by WH heading south and if the bait is there 'they stay for awhile. Get the WX!!!

Marble River chinooks are not a spring run, they come in during the fall. Big fish, there was talk years ago that a fish of 102lbs was netted in the river while getting brood stock.

You can also launch your boat out of Coal Harbour which is a 20 min drive from Port Hardy. I believe the run up the inlet is 45-60min. It saves trailering along the Holberg road, which can be a rough gravel road at the best of times. This way you can choose whether to fish the Port Hardy side or go for the Winter Harbour side. You can catch good Hali out of Hardy also. Just gives you more options.

Oops, I should have said “summer” rather than spring - Sorry.

Marble River has both a summer and fall run; however, I don’t know when those summer fish start showing. I do not and have not ever targeted them, but again, I do believe if not mistaken those Marble River Chinook “summer’ fish might start showing and be an unexpected bonus to anyone planning an early trip to the Winter Harbour area?

I do know Marble River Hatchery has been enhancing that run for years. I don’t know current production levels or whether they enhance both summer and fall stocks.

Marble River Chinook production targets are one million smolts, while Coho targets are 200,000 fry and 50,000 smolts. Coded wire tagging is conducted on 75,000 Chinook smolts, while a further 100,000 are extended sea site reared to 20 g with partner Quatsino Lodge.
http://www.thesalmoncentre.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=93&Itemid=69

I certainly wouldn’t overlook those fish and if I was planning an early trip to Winter Harbour targeting halibut – I would be asking when those start showing!
http://www.stateofthesalmon.org/inventory/downloads/BCMAPS/ScoreSheets_SC.pdf

I have had great Spring fishing on the highway as early as 15th of apr-are they there earlier-I don't know-I do know that there is a good winter spring fishery just below(seaward side of the narrows) from Jan to Mar. Winter Harbour is a great area to fish-not too many boats and because of that most guys are willing to help you out. There are many areas to fish-some not so well known-so keep watching this thread-I'm sure if you're prepared you will have a great time. Hey good info on the stocking and enhancement Charlie-didn't know that!!

Charlie and I can argue over a beer whose run it is but they are there . Everything (almost) goes by WH heading south and if the bait is there 'they stay for awhile. Get the WX!!!
Might surprise you which side of that argument I'll be on? South of Brooks is different and then south of Estevan is different again. They follow the shelf into Brooks. The Conuma mostly follow the coast down from there, while the U.S. bound fish are normally farther off - off course there are exceptions to that. Winter Harbour, depending on when, where and how far out, one hour you will catch nothing but Canadian, next hour all U.S. I would say "the majority" of Chinook out of Winter Harbour will probably be Canadian, again - based on that who, what, when, and where? That 300 foot contour is diffidently a mix of both. FYI... It is up to about 80% of Chinook caught south of Estevan are now U.S. headed. Thank DFO great management for that one!

Hi Charlie,
When you say summer run Chinook in the Marble...what do you mean by that. Do you mean the fish enter the river during the summer months or are approaching Quatsino Sound during the summer. We fished the Marble lots during the summer for steelhead but there were never any springs in the river until Sept-Oct. Now I've been wrong before....just today for instance....maybe twice now.
Cheers

I do NOT have a clue when those fish will start showing or spawning – In fact, if I were to target Marble River summer-run and wanted to know anything concerning them or when they start showing, I would be contacting local, as in Wayne Ridley. That would be some of that “local” knowledge someone needs to find out, to effectively target them! J

Will gladly share what I do know, which is only this. Marble River has two distinct races of Chinook salmon. One is the “summer-“and the other is the “fall-run”. What does that mean – absolutely nothing!

Pacific Salmon species and each Chinook salmon stock and race is different and is a genetic entity within itself, evolving over thousands of years. In general, summer Chinook are supposed to make it back starting in June ending late July (or August), spawning October through December; however, this really means nothing concerning Marble River Chinook either.

Most individual stocks migrate at similar times each year relative to overall runs, hence the terms “spring,” “summer,” “fall.” That is NOT when they spawn. They will spawn when they are ready to spawn! Chinook that migrate March through May, June through July, and August through October have been categorized as spring-, summer-, and fall-run fish, respectively; terms given by us humans. What do those terms really mean to the fish – absolutely, nothing! It is quite apparent the fish themselves do not necessarily recognize or care of the run times designated and used by any fishery managers.

Migration timing varies annually and it believed water temperature as the primary controlling factor. At stated the fish really don’t care what we call them. When they are ready to migrate, they migrate. To degree, the middle portion of the run (i.e., summer-run Chinook salmon) is overlapped early in the migration by the spring-run and later by the fall-run. Summer- and fall-run adults intermingle and spawn at the same time. Summer Chinook spawning has been observed as late as mid-December, that is at least a month later than so-called summer-run are said to spawn. Conversely, Chinook salmon designated as fall-run according to their run timing, have spawned as early as mid-September.

Run-timing differences among salmon are, at least partially, the fish adaptations to predictable thermal and flow regimes in migration corridors and spawning streams. Many time their migration to arrive at their natal streams, just prior to optimal spawning conditions, others enter earlier. Ever heard the term, they need to “ripen”? Now, other stocks time their migrations to avoid difficult passage environments. Some will migrate well before spawning periods to avoid high water temperatures. Some time migration to avoid low flows. Then some summer Chinook salmon stocks spawn in high-elevation headwaters characterized by low water temperatures, which requires longer egg incubation and therefore they have an early spawning date. An adaptation there was observed among Fraser River sockeye stocks in 1987. Some summer Chinook salmon stocks spawn in larger and warmer low-elevation rivers, more similar to that of fall Chinook, and that is later migration and arrival at spawning grounds. Most spring–summer Chinook stocks have adapted to migrate prior to peak main-stem warming and often during peak annual discharge. Local stocks evolved in an array of habitat types, based on ecological or environmental changes. Each specific stock migration will be based on its genetics created do to these different conditions.

Apply this to Marble River Chinook and it means those fish could migrate and spawn just about any time. So, was those summer- or fall-run? That can only be answered by someone who knows those fish.

So I guess the answer is - Yes, the summer-run will start entering the system in the summer months, most of the time, but not always. Yes, the summer-run can be found approaching Quatsino Sound during the spring, during the summer and even during the winter months. Yes, one can and is subject to see summer-run in the river anytime throughout January through December. Yes, they typically will spawn between October and December, but don’t be surprised to see them spawning earlier or later. J

'spring' run fish historically refered to fish entering during flood conditions on their eco system of choice. these fish would use the very upper reaches of the drainage they entered. columbia r. springers were headed up into canadian waters, a long journey ended by grand coulee. commercially, these were the prized fish for consistency of flavor and sheer size. some of the columbia fish exceeded 100 pounds. rumor has it that a similar springer run used to populate the elwha r. drainage. if you have driven up that river you can tell it would have taken some muscle to make it through the various white water to get all the way up into the upper reaches. with the dams coming down starting in sept '12, maybe we will actually witness this.

'fall' fish historically refered to fish entering later in the year. these fish tended to utilize lower areas of the drainages they entered for spawning. in some respects this was natural selection functioning to seperate and reduce the competition for redd areas. each of these runs, spring and fall, tended to actually spawn during similar time periods. what seperated them is when they entered their drainage of choice.

what 'summer' run refers to is a mystery to me but maybe an anomoly of the higher lattitudes and when sufficient water is present to allow these fish to get to the prefered spawning areas. would be interesting to know more about this.

Wishing I was fishing, think I will do that tomorrow! J

I do believe this is about the Marble River run, but if one wants to know more about Columbia River, or summer-runs in general, I would suggest starting here: J

NOAA Technical Memorandum NMFS-NWFSC-22
Status Review for Mid-Columbia River Summer Chinook Salmon
F. William Waknitz, Gene M. Matthews, Thomas Wainwright, and Gary A. Winans
National Marine Fisheries Service
Northwest Fisheries Science Center
Coastal Zone and Estuarine Studies Division
2725 Montlake Blvd. E.
Seattle WA 98112
July 1995
http://www.nwfsc.noaa.gov/publications/techmemos/tm22/tm22.htm

Hey guys,

I plan to spend my holidays around Port Mc Neil. I am trying to figure out if there is any retention on the Marble. Chinooks or Coho?

Cheers, Scott

Hey guys,

I plan to spend my holidays around Port Mc Neil. I am trying to figure out if there is any retention on the Marble. Chinooks or Coho?

Cheers, Scott

Are you fishing freshwater or salt? If fresh, check the freshwater regs http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/regulations/docs/1315/fishing_synopsis_2013-15_region1.pdf

Nothing in the DFO freshwater salmon supplement regs so no retention for Salmon, but again better check for yourself. Might only be fly fishing only now too in the river.

having ran marble river hatchery for about 10 yrs I do know something about marble river chinooks ... they show at cliff point in mid aug and at river mouth in sept and later no earlier runs and no 100 pounder was caught to my knowledge

Back