Winter Harbour 2013

I assume you couldnt be talking about this Friday past. I was there Thursday thru Monday and had no fog at all.
fished at Topnot Friday morning. Ten springs in one tack. Plugs and Hoochies 130 to 180 in 300 feet of water.
Good early bite at Cliff Sunday and Monday.
Going back next Friday for 2 weeks.

OTE=spring fever;305892]Hit Kain isl 2pm fri. Guy at Cole Harbour said fishing was poor only got 3 Springs-one a 30 Had a look-don't buy anything weighed by this guys scales-barely made 20 but still not a rosy picture. Heavy heavy fog at Koprino-full radar required. I'll cut to the chase-cliffe point ( Lighthouse end) the north end was slow-south end down by the big rocks held some coho and springs, Kain was basically dead while we were there. Grants Bay held the odd spring early but nowhere as good as 2 weeks ago. The place to fish as far as I'm concerned was from 200 ft deep at the first set of pinnacles directly off Lippy straight out to the hi-way. Pretty steady action for Springs coho and some of the largest pinks I've ever seen. The Springs seem smaller to me than other years-our best would have been 22 tops however I was forced to release 2 over 20 as we already had our spring possession limit. I was testing a new prototype lure that Salty-dog and I have come up with in conjunction with a major manufacturer-we picked up a 40-ish hali (108cm) and 3 lings over 20 trolling. Guys -It was FOGGY for 3 days-solid-most of the fish were off-shore- the radio chatter consisted of guys trying to screw up their courage to go without a radar. Winter Harbour is not like it used to be-there are lots of boats out there-you can't run at 25 knot on a chart plotter-we're going to lose somebody!! No fish is worth it.
Lures to use anchovy with a Teezer or flasher, White cuttlefish hootchy with double flash LED. Didn't use anything else except the new test lure and my son-in-law refused to switch. Depths-180 to 200 ft of wire-chase the bottom if you are shallower. Sorry-no pictures I can show as they show the new lure and we are at a delicate stage with negotiations right now-its a real winner!! I guess it is slow really for Winter Harbour-I have never seen so many boats and so many boaters ill equipped to take on Winter Harbours challenges. It ain't a Lake guys-slow down in the fog and make sure you really understand how to work and drive on your Radar! Great trip for us-lots of challenges but a full hold and a grand adventure!! Tight Lines!![/QUOTE]

Just an insight to fishing WH last mon - wed, all the fish we caught
had NEEDLE fish in them. All our fish were caught trolling from Grants Bay
out to 260'. ...........BB

Good to know.
Saw a few smaller pilchards in a few of our fish last week but we sure weren't rattling thru them like usual.
Just an insight to fishing WH last mon - wed, all the fish we caught
had NEEDLE fish in them. All our fish were caught trolling from Grants Bay
out to 260'. ...........BB

Latest I've caught them in legal retention areas was Sept 10-may not be the latest possible but my latest. That was at cliffe and at the Anvil

will be going to winter harbour Wednesday night , will fish Thursday Friday Saturday . any updates on the fishing and weather would be appreciated
cheers
scar tissue

will be going to winter harbour Wednesday night , will fish Thursday Friday Saturday . any updates on the fishing and weather would be appreciated
cheers
scar tissue
Weather looks perfect off-shore fri, sat-watch out for fog!! understand Lippy and cliffe point are the places to be-and with that I would guess the harbour approaches off of Kain Island must deserve a look. Remember Kain on the flood-cliffe on the ebb!

Couple of phone calls; swell watch doing its magic and Spring Fever will be off Kain Island by 2 pm fri- listening on 6, Green and white Orca. Staying on the hook-drop by for a brew and a chat. I share info-see what we are testing this week. There til Sun pm.

Gunna be camping out at Koprino on friday and saturday, fishing saturday sunday at cliff and Kains. I might have to hit you up on that offer there spring fever, will try to pop by if i get a chance.

Chovy

Gunna be camping out at Koprino on friday and saturday, fishing saturday sunday at cliff and Kains. I might have to hit you up on that offer there spring fever, will try to pop by if i get a chance.

Chovy

During the pm we usually anchor behind the first island going into the channel to WH on the left. Not sure where we will drop the hook for the night-depends on fishing. Drop by or chat if you see us. Good Luck.

Just got back from 2 weeks in WH.
Cliff and the light were slow the whole time except for first light at Cliff on cut plug along the kelp.
We had 4 boats and at least one of us tried inshore each day.
Offshore at the 50 fathom was the ticket.
Fish got larger near the end of the trip.
Fished north the first week, south the second.
Plugs and large bait 170' to 280'.
Full moon killed the bite the second week.
Honest report.

Fishing Report

Well the best laid plans-swell watch said it was going to be great but then that turned into OK and then not bad. First time in 18years I couldn't get outside!!! Never ever go to WH on a forecast south east wind-I knew it but it looked OK. So got to Cliffe point at 1300 on fri-tried to go across to Kain but it was blowing SE at 35-with white caps and driving rain-the boat was fine but some of my crew didn't look happy so back to cliffe point. There was some coho activity at the light and down in Harvey cove. The odd Spring was taken-we got a 31 right off the beach in 41 ft of water with 35ft of wire on an LED lit blood and bones hoochy right at dark. Baffled me-I'm a bait man but I got little for my efforts with anchovys-Flavour of the weekend was coyotes in the 3.5 size, cop car, watermelon, and nasty boy. Coho Killers worked as well-size definitely mattered. Saturday was a truly nasty day off cliffe point so fell back to Mahatta river and had a great and enjoyable day playing coho to 13lbs. Lots of Jumpers to chase-great fishing!! Sun. forecast gale warnings looked incorrect so we got 100 yards outside Kains-the seas would not settle down-there was a SE swell with a 25k wind from the west-Not enjoyable-so we fell back to cliffe point by 7 am-Rewarded fairly quickly with a mid-20's spring and several reasonable coho. The water was filthy with kelp, logs-you name it-very difficult fishing-again it was the small spoons and LED hoochys that worked-anchovys got NADA!! It was dead by 9am and pretty unpleasant wind and weather wise. Moved back to Mahatta-very slow -way fewer jumpers than Sat. but did pick up 2 mid twenties springs on a cop car which were gently released after giving a good account of themselves. Mahatta was dead so moved over to the Koprino shore in squalls-got into the coho with many double headers-long line releases and boats blowing every which way but the right way. Great fun-didn't know my crew knew that many profanities-truly inspiring!!! Finished our limit and headed for an anchorage
closer to Cole harbour. Crabbing had to be rated as poor. There are now rafts of Sea otters in the thirties in Rupert arm. Few crab above 90 ft and only the occasional male below below a 100 ft-mostly females. I have pretty good intel from Wayne at Winter Harbour lodge that the fish(springs) are off Lippy and Lawn point-start at 200 ft and troll out til you find them. We got all our coho inshore at 33 to 39 ft of wire. A bit of frustration on this trip-I knew where they were and couldn't get there-the back-up plan worked-we had fun-and we kept the beer industry in business. Tight Lines.

Thanks for the report SF, hoping to head out thurs pm and stay until monday. Was blowing like crazy in mcneill today so imagine it was same but worse out west...

Hoping we get a chance to get offshore also but will be content to chase coho on light gear if the weather doesnt let us.

We have noticed a remarkable jump in the otter population this year from previous ones also!

Thanks for the tip on the spoons

Yak

Hit WH on the 3,4,5 sept- gentlemans final trip only-stay inside and play with the Ho's- good food and lay back take it easy. Hit quatsino, monkey creek Koprino and Mahatta river- no Jumpers-very few coho-went to cliffe didn't look promising-seaward looked like a lake. Hadn't intended to go outside so had no anchovy's. I had to fish like "THOSE PEOPLE". It did not look promising-in 200 ft of water with 200 ft of wire off Lippy put down a pearl glow wench hoochy with a double flash white LED and a Jughead. In an hour I took 2 springs (16 and 21) and a coho then a terrific strike!! reel is howling,can't get it out of the holder easily-then break off-Only Juggie gone. Time to anchor up . Next morning was flat and gorgeous- plied my trade-reasonably steady using LED's large spoons and plugs-had a great time all the way out to the hi-way. Sure missed the chovy's. It wasn't summertime fishing but it was fun-small springs to 22 lbs and large coho to 13. Quit at lunch time and hit all the known ho spots until dark when we anchored at Mahatta river. Next morning worked our way up to the marble river-few jumpers-not many coho-. Boarded by some very nice DFO guys -very professional-nice to see!! Seems very early for coho to be over-they have had a bit of rain-got some phone calls in to figure it out. I have to say that I personally wouldn't go for coho inside again unless I heard there was some new fish in. I scoured that inlet from Kain island up to the Marble and there are very few coho inside whereas on the 24,25 aug it was loaded. I have fished much later than this and did well so maybe they are coming in waves. Tight Lines.

Back