Window gasket/moulding

Gypseas

I got two new windows for the back of the cabin and having a beachofatime installing the glass in the moulding/gasket.

Anybody with some experience willing to share a tip or two or three?
:D

Cheers

here's the moulding profile

IMG_5754.jpg

I watched a couple guys install a window once and if I remember right they put the gasket on the window glass first. Then they had a piece of cord that was wrapped around the gasket in the channel with two longer tag ends. Then start the gasket in the opening as best you can, a corner or a side but have the tag ends in that spot. Then the one guy held the window in place with the tag end on the other side. Then the guy inside slowly pulled the tag end around the opening and the gasket just rolls around as you pull the cord. Worked pretty slick.

If you do this this way use a little soapy water in the section you put the cord in makes an easer instasll.

If you do this this way use a little soapy water in the section you put the cord in makes an easer instasll. Also overlap the cord by about a foot . I used to install VW windows this way when I was a kid.

The guy that reinstalled my two side windows was sweating alot by the time he was done so I guess you need some sweat LOL. Seriously though he used window urethane sealant and windex as lube. He had some special hook/prying tool to help it along as well. There was some colorful language thrown in as well. Good luck.

Cheers,
John

I forgot about the hook tool and the colorful language thing. LOL. They were installing the back window of my truck.

that is self locking rubber with an insert strip ---do you have the strip of rubber that goes in the middle -----we have a special tool for installing it --but you can do with a hook tool or flat head screw driver if you are handy
So you first put rubber on frame ---put the joint at the side or bottom -----use soapy water 2 oz to a spray bottle --spray a lot on ---especially if it new rubber --very stiff---- then you have to get the glass is ---- no you cannot rope it in with this type ---- so here will be the tricky part if you are not a glazier ----I can do it with the hook tool but I would suggest you use a hard plastic stick we call it a fibre stick ----If you are groaning by now then pay somebody who knows some beer ----is the glass cut to size yet ????? that rubber looks like it goes on a frame that is 1/8 thick

Thank you all for the help. Mission accomplished :D

Measure once cut twice...uhmm

IMG_5755.jpg

Both side windows are new, now I can keep an eye on the star rod
cheers

IMG_5758.jpg

Back