Winch power

tubbed out

SO ive been running my trailors winch with just battery power

tired of that

do any of you have any info on where to hard wire it on my truck ???

93 chev 3500

tubbed

I would start by finding out how many amps it is pulling. Might have to run separate wire to battery and fuse it accordingly.

Cheers

gonefishingsign.gif

I solved this issue by purchasing red and black 10 gauge wire long enough to reach from the winch to the battery on the truck. I attached red and black clamps the same as you would find on a battery charger and just raised the hood, unwrapped the wire from the trailer and hooked it up to the battery. When done, I just re spooled it on the trailer and closed the hood and away I went.
This prevents any serious damage like burning your truck to the ground if installed wiring carry heavy amperage were to get in contact with the truck frame and causing a fire. If you do go with fixed wiring use fusable links at the battery to prevent any surprises. Just my 2 cents, Cheers, I.I.

I had hoped to attatch it right to my battery and just leave the truck running ??? I also had the idea of attatching it to my 7 pin trailor outlet ?? but maybe its to much amperage

Yes the trailer light hook up is small gauge wire and can't handle the amperage. My dad had a hook up mounted at the back of his truck for his winch and it was big gauge wire running front to back. I am not sure of the type of wire it was, but it was a large gauge and solid core, not stranded with a really tough skin on it. I never had an issue with the previous set up I mentioned, I just left the truck running for the short time it took to get the boat on the trailer. After a couple of times of using this method it became real quick and was painless.

Back