Wild Sheep Society re: Anti Hunting Push

IronNoggin

A group is attempting a ban on hunting of large carnivores and more - here’s the statement from the sheep society;

‘Thinly veiled under the guise of conservation, a concerted attack is now in place against ‘large carnivores’- specifically named are black bears, cougars, wolves and elk as they are mentioned as ‘trophy hunted only’. Noted in this same push by anti-hunting groups are bighorn sheep, part of our very life blood as an organization. We know firsthand that these sheep are so much more than the ‘trophy’ as claimed- that they are an icon of the hills that we care so passionately about. And that through our annual sheep counts as volunteers, know that there are no dangers of extirpation.’

Follow the link below to send an email and help out, sitting on our hands won’t assist us. It takes less than 3 minutes!

Slippery slope this one. They have already identified sheep and elk hunting as their next targets.
Hope a few from here realize what we're up against, and take the few minutes required to help.

Cheers,
Nog

what group?

Fom HuntBC:

"This campaign is pretty easy to link to Raincoast's recent paper on Social License to Hunt. That paper dropped, then it was picked up by the media, then the wolf-trapping woman handed them an unforced error, leading the the livestream between Premier Horgan and the G&M, then the radio interview with Rebeka Breder and Jesse Zeeman. I know WSS and BCWF are responding, and while I'm sure GOABC and BHA are also probably doing something, I'm not sure what it is.

Steve Hamilton on BC Hunting Fishing FB group also makes sending MLA letters pretty easy (he has blanks in the files section of the Facebook group).

Visits, phone calls, emails and especially written letters in the mail to your MLA are really worth doing. The idea is that they'll demonize and outlaw trophy hunting of big carnivores, with the understanding that big carnivore trophy hunting includes everything down to shooting a grouse."

The BC Wildlife Federation has stepped up with a similar program.

Good idea to hit it too...

Your Right to Hunt Is at Risk​

"Over the past month, the anti-hunting movement has attracted headlines across the province. Now that grizzly bear hunting is closed, anti-hunting organizations are looking to close black bear, cougar and wolf hunting across the province. We expect this movement will continue to sheep and goat hunting as well as catch-and-release fishing. Some in the anti-hunting movement have recently suggested all hunting should be closed.

Recently, the BCWF has been in the media opposing the misinformed rhetoric villainizing hunters but more work needs to be done. The collection of interviews and articles can be found below.
The B.C. Wildlife Federation is working with the Wild Sheep Society of BC and other organizations to take a stand and fight back against the anti-hunting movement and we need your help. Our plan is to deliver at least 25,000 letters to the B.C. legislature by June."

I keep saying it over and over. People get in bed with these groups on other issues and help fund them and then they are surprised when they don’t stop. These anti groups won’t stop until they have their way on every issue they have. They are dangerous well funded organizations.

Here's an inkling of the mindset (don't watch if you get upset easily...)

Overdue for us to make a stand against this foolishness!

Nog

Here's an inkling of the mindset (don't watch if you get upset easily...)

Overdue for us to make a stand against this foolishness!

Nog
Scary stuff man.

Separation is our only hope to preserve our way of life. We have very little if anything in common with the large urban centres of the east any longer. We better wake up before it’s all gone and it’s to late.

I don’t want to turn this into a political debate but as it sits there are no federal parties that interest me these days. Even our so called federal conservative party has been taken over by a leftist globalist. I’m done with all of them until we get a proper leader in there, for me there is a new movement started up and it’s a western based movement. Their goal is not to ever hold the PM seat but to control the west and preserve western values. Laugh if you want but I’m done with partisan politics, I’m putting my money and vote with my conscience.

Last edited:
Many, many years ago (after Mulroney) - I came to that same conclusion about partisan politics: all parties are undemocratic and only reflect the needs of who supported their election bid, and who gives them money under the table afterwards.

Looking for any one party to accurately and honestly reflect their constituent needs is like waiting for Santa to come down the chimney - unless of course parroting those views held by select promoted spokespersons that are given air time help a party get elected again - like say in Quebec with Heidi Rathjen or Nathalie Provost.

I am convinced that only ground-up, consensus-based governance systems work - ones where parties have minimal if any influence.

AA: Thanks for contributing pretty much nothing to the topic of this post.
I personally don't care one whit what your thoughts & beliefs regarding politics are. Period.
Nor do I appreciate you cluttering up this with thread with your ramblings.

EDIT:

Walleyes, I hadn't realized you had edited your post, and tossed in a political message of your own. While I understand your frustration, I don't believe this is the thread to express that in. The topic of the moment is our hunting & fishing heritage being under threat from the anti's, and what we can do to counter that. Let's try and stick to that shall we? Thanks
.....................................................................................................................................

Folks, to those that have helped and fired off a letter or two I thank you!
To those just now considering doing so, the two links above make it swift & painless.
Only by sheer voice of numbers will we get our message across that wild life and wild lands must be managed through proper science, and not the willy nilly approach of emotion.

Cheers,
Nog

Last edited:
I left the posts above as Nog has pointed out exactly why these threads go off the rails. As soon as one post takes on a political tone and message, it becomes a back and forth volleying of partisanship and finger pointing. Stick to the topic at hand and all is well.

I have only barely looked into this and as Nog pointed out this paper seemed to start the newest movement off.

The paper does seem to mention sheep hunting,

"Additional theory and data are required to understand that even when they are killed for multiple reasons, large carnivores possess particular characteristics that attract opposition to their killing. As background, hunters of any taxa generally pursue 1 or more tangible outcomes: food, trophies, perceived population control, and so on. For example, both black bears and many large herbivores (e.g., elk [Cervus canadensis], big horn sheep [Ovis canadensis]) are commonly killed for meat and trophies. We note, however, that popular referenda in the United States proposing to modify or ban ungulate hunting have been limited to 1 (to ban an open season on moose [Alces alces] in Maine in 1983), whereas those regarding black bear hunting alone have been subject to at least 8 referenda, joining others on canids and felids (National Conference of State Legislatures 2020)."

interesting. I don't hunt & never have. I have nothing against hunting. Seems to me hunting has declined significantly as an activity mostly do to the licensing requirements and increasing restriction on firearms discharge near populated areasand not so much due to hunting bans. I guess tag requirements/ limited entry has had a role as well

It would be nice if the OP would provide the name of the organization that is lobbying to ban sheep hunting. It would increase the credibility of the post considerably in my view.

It would be nice if the OP would provide the name of the organization that is lobbying to ban sheep hunting. It would increase the credibility of the post considerably in my view.

The message was presented exactly as the WSS put it out. I suppose you could contact them yourself Ralphie Ol' Chap, and then you could in turn enlighten us all once you have. Or not. Up to you. As for increasing the credibility of the the post, I could not care much less what your thoughts are in that regard. The WSS and the BCWF both pack excellent reputations. As such I am very comfortable relying on what they put out there.

Cheers - Nog

From what I read on the WSS website is that they are concerned about trophy hunting and efforts to restrict and/or eliminate that component of hunting. I don't trophy hunt as I have never understood the need to prove oneself that way - altho I can see in some situations where prey cycles are in a downturn and levelling off excessive predators and predation could help both predators and prey. But that's not strictly trophy hunting neither. Levelling off cycles is also the outcome of trapping, as well.

In any event, Raincoast in particular has been very active in the anti-grizzly hunt campaign, and I think this is where the fear is coming from. I find they are quite biased in the science used to support their assertions, but not necessarily 100% wrong 100% of the time in every concern they raise (just a large part of the time) - but they do need campaigns to raise support and donations. I think that is the real driver. Without active campaigns they slowly fade away.

From what I read on the WSS website is that they are concerned about trophy hunting and efforts to restrict and/or eliminate that component of hunting. I don't trophy hunt as I have never understood the need to prove oneself that way

And you once again largely miss the point. The WSS simply is not "concerned about trophy hunting and efforts to restrict and/or eliminate that component of hunting" and suggesting so does them a large disservice. Their focus is on ALL hunting, beginning with a few that the anti's have labelled "trophy" in their attempt to paint those hunts with a negative brush. This is a standard tactic they employ.

Most that hunt bears and cats actually eat them. I do myself. they are fine tablefare. As is sheep. As is Elk, As is deer.

Raincoast is one of the drivers, but there are others involved. To say they are "biased" and / or employ erroneous "science" is a complete understatement.

The stance that the WSS and others is taking is not to prop up "trophy hunting" as you assert, but rather to support all hunting against the nonsense spouted by Raincoast and others of that ilk.

Nog

Back