Grizzly Hunting-- Yea or Nay?

quote:Just remember, United we stand, Divided we fall.

Exactly.................. But if I might-- I think it would be wise to make an effort to remove the hinds. It would "shoot down " the rant that some of the anti have that its immoral just to shoot an animal for its hide. ( but tell that to the cow that is turned into chic leather garments and shoes!!! Dead is dead!! ) But after eating griz-- I can tell you that its quite good!!!!

Also Ken-- it would be revenge for that griz that buried yours and Billies bull that fall! :D

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

quote:Originally posted by Sitkaspruce

Originally posted by Steelhead S2

This has nothing to do with eating a grizz, or any other animal for that matter. This is all about the the big dollar, anti hunt/fish groups for below the boarder coming up here with tons of $$$ and telling us Canadians how we should live our lives and go eat only organic vegetables, tofu and latte's. We should leave the cute, cuddly, poor little bear, deer or other animal alone. And lets not forget the fish. Those poor little fishes (what did PETA call them...Kittens??)that get stuck in the mouth with that large, sharp hook and reffed and torqued into the boat to be bludgeoned and left to suffer in the cooler.

Don't believe me??? Google it in the US, it has already started, although the following is not as big because a lot more folks fish than hunt.

Cheers

SS

Fishing08018-1.jpg

Bryan

Read my earlier post.

This has nothing to do with eating grizzly or any animal for that matter.

Ever since those ding dongs from the NDP put a moratorium on the Grizz hunt, the bear has been front and center with the anti's and Save the Forests people. They are now seeing that they might have a slight crack to wiggle into and get the ball rolling on all hunting, and using the Grizz as the battering ram. It is all about the big $$$$ from south of the boarder. Hell they already paid 2+ mill for Leonard Ellis's Guide Territory and are rumored to be forking out another 3+ mill for another coastal guide territory. That money is NOT coming from the Canadian Environmental groups.

This has nothing to do with Trophy hunting, Grizzly bears, eating the meat or anything else that is related to that bear.

THIS IS ALL ABOUT OUR RIGHTS AS CANADIANS BEING UNDERMINED BY PEOPLE WHO WOULD LIKE US TO ALL LIVE IN THE CONCRETE JUNGLE AND VIEW THE REST OF BC AS A ZOO.

and like it or not, fishing will soon be a target as well.

Cheers

SS

Fishing08018-1.jpg

Hear ye Hear ye the truth has been spoken and it stinks, but is the truth. They will do whatever to achieve their means.[}:)][}:)]

IMG_1445.jpg

Since asked, and it is a good question, my definition of "trophy hunting" is taking down the animal for a trophy with no intention of making any use of any of the flesh. I do agree that "trophy" is in the eye of the beholder, but that's talking about something different.

I also agree that "united we stand, divided we fall". But I don't think that means our interests as sportsmen are best served by standing up and defending all hunting and fishing activity, regardless of the tactics, methods or purposes. As I understand it, one purpose of standing united is so that, as a stake-holding group, we can exert meaningful influence on the long-term regulation of our chosen recreational activities. But there is no doubt that, in order to be taken seriously, we need to have a rational and coherent message. For example, although poaching is a hunting and a fishing activity, it would not be in our collective interest to stand up for poacher rights just because they are our brother sportsmen (I realize that is a debatable point in itself).

I agree that there is a fine line (or a slippery slope?) between identifying what activities we do and do not support, on the one hand, and fragmenting into a bunch of self-interested, arrogant niche groups on the other. But I think it is an essential task if we are to make a meaning contribution to the management of out natural resources in the long run.

We are starting to see this kind of multi-sector cooperation on the fish farm issue. Sporties, commercials, and FNs are banding together in an effort to preserve their common interest.

While I find trophy hunting distasteful at a personal level, it may also be politically untenable. Perhaps it is unpleasant to factor that kind of optics into assessing an issue that has such deep roots in our rural and sporting communities. But it is just that kind of optics that guides the decision making in Victoria. If trophy hunting for grizzly bears becomes a political issue of any significance it is not in our interest to cling to it. That would risk our other activities being painted with the same brush. To add another well-worn expression to this discussion, "keep your friends close, but keep your enemies closer".

If we stand up and make one small concession, it might improve the image of hunting in the province and bring greater credibility to our sport. In the end, if the hunter who kills the bear is required to take the meat, nothing is really lost. And the bad optics of "trophy hunting" is significantly reduced.

Just two more of my cents. :)

quote:Originally posted by Steelhead S2

Since asked, and it is a good question, my definition of "trophy hunting" is taking down the animal for a trophy with no intention of making any use of any of the flesh. I do agree that "trophy" is in the eye of the beholder, but that's talking about something different.

I also agree that "united we stand, divided we fall". But I don't think that means our interests as sportsmen are best served by standing up and defending all hunting and fishing activity, regardless of the tactics, methods or purposes. As I understand it, one purpose of standing united is so that, as a stake-holding group, we can exert meaningful influence on the long-term regulation of our chosen recreational activities. But there is no doubt that, in order to be taken seriously, we need to have a rational and coherent message. For example, although poaching is a hunting and a fishing activity, it would not be in our collective interest to stand up for poacher rights just because they are our brother sportsmen (I realize that is a debatable point in itself).

I agree that there is a fine line (or a slippery slope?) between identifying what activities we do and do not support, on the one hand, and fragmenting into a bunch of self-interested, arrogant niche groups on the other. But I think it is an essential task if we are to make a meaning contribution to the management of out natural resources in the long run.

We are starting to see this kind of multi-sector cooperation on the fish farm issue. Sporties, commercials, and FNs are banding together in an effort to preserve their common interest.

While I find trophy hunting distasteful at a personal level, it may also be politically untenable. Perhaps it is unpleasant to factor that kind of optics into assessing an issue that has such deep roots in our rural and sporting communities. But it is just that kind of optics that guides the decision making in Victoria. If trophy hunting for grizzly bears becomes a political issue of any significance it is not in our interest to cling to it. That would risk our other activities being painted with the same brush. To add another well-worn expression to this discussion, "keep your friends close, but keep your enemies closer".

If we stand up and make one small concession, it might improve the image of hunting in the province and bring greater credibility to our sport. In the end, if the hunter who kills the bear is required to take the meat, nothing is really lost. And the bad optics of "trophy hunting" is significantly reduced.

Just two more of my cents. :)

You need to wake up!!!!

Poaching of fish and game IS NOT EVEN close to hunting and fishing. It is ILLEGAL!!!!!!!

Please do not even use the word poaching in the same sentence as hunting or fishing.

You need to get some education on the difference between them

And to say that a sportsman is a poacher is way off as well!!!!

I will never defend poaching....never!!!!!

You need to educate yourself about what is really happening out there before you make statements like you did above.

Cheers

SS

Fishing08018-1.jpg

quote:if the hunter who kills the bear is required to take the meat, nothing is really lost. And the bad optics of "trophy hunting" is significantly reduced

Ken-- I have to agree with Steelhead on his statement about meat recovery. This battle will not be won by science. Perception plays a large part in deciding what will eventually become law.. Dont agree-- well look at the "Great Bear Rainforest and the "Spirit" bear. The antis won because they look like a miniture polar bear and cuddly ones at that! I tried to explain the some folks about the recessive genes carried by white, yellow and blue phases of the black bear, but all they see is Walt Disney. ( guess where I have seen the most of my "Spirit Bears"--???? The Terrace garbage dump fer crying out loud !!)
The Great Bear rainforest/Spirit Bear campaign was a masterful piece of marketing. We have to get equally creative if we want to be able to continue hunting in the future.... Taking the moral highground by removing the edible meat is just the start. And a lot of folks just might like it too!
Time for a Cuba Libre-- back later [:p]
Cheers
CA

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Just a question then "trophy hunting" seems to be the problem here how many on here want to catch a big spring show of hands please!!!!!!!oh ok almost everyone 99 %.
I have taken people out from Canada and other parts they catch a nice 35 lb spring and they want to keep it "whole" to show people back home, leave the head on etc.

SO there you have its a TROPHY!!!!!!!!!!! For some it is a varing difference to some it may be a 15 lb spring to others they wont even think of it anything less if its not over 40lbs.

And anyone on here have probablly done the exact same thing as I have just mentioned we all want to brag and show off what we got if you say no not me ill call bull$hit.

the worst part I have witnessed is Ive asked them after they come back so what did you do with that big fish from last year?? oh well its still in my freezer to big dont know what to do with it...... NOW THATS the waste isnt it!!! and makes me sick to my stomach but who am I to judge its there fish and they can do whatever they want with it ...Do I agree hell no.

And I agree with sitka you cant even put hunting and fishing in any thing near poaching thats just wrong.

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

First off, I am a little concerned about looking like a fool here. I absolutely do not think poachers are legit sportsmen, and I do not think anyone on here would ever defend poaching of any kind. If you read the post carefully, I tried to flag that without distracting from my point. But I am glad I caught your attention. The point was, while we need to stand united and not let insignificant matters like method or species divide us, we also need to know what we stand for and with whom we stand.

As a group we do not stand with poachers, in part because it would be bad for our own image -and there are lots of other reasons too. The question I am pushing is, what else should we stand against? Just because something is legal does not mean it will remain legal. And just because something is legal does not make it right. It only makes it legal. If an activity that is currently legal is ultimately bad for our broader and long-term interests as sportsmen, we might be better served by standing against it. I, for one, would not book passage on a sinking ship.

To be clear, I do not think poachers are sportsmen. (Though if the hunt or fish, they may well be classed as hunters or fishermen.) And I don't for a moment think anyone active on this site would back a poacher. I hope that is clear. [:I]

One more thing, I LOVE catching big springs, and I love to show them off. But most of all, I LOOOOOVE to eat them. If it makes you sick that some of them are wasted by some people, imagine how nonhunters feel when they think about an entire bear, minus its hair, left for the scavengers. I think it is very important to separate hunting from that terrible feeling as much as possible.

quote:Originally posted by Steelhead S2

First off, I am a little concerned about looking like a fool here.

One more thing, I LOVE catching big springs, and I love to show them off. But most of all, I LOOOOOVE to eat them. If it makes you sick that some of them are wasted by some people, imagine how nonhunters feel when they think about an entire bear, minus its hair, left for the scavengers. I think it is very important to separate hunting from that terrible feeling as much as possible.

Nobody said you were a fool.

Glad to see you in a healthy conversation.

So if you think that about the grizz hunt, how do you feel about trapping, hunting wolves, yotes, cougars etc???

If you cannot eat them, then how do you control them??

And lastly, I personally do not care what NON HUNTERS think about anything. Hell I really don't care what anyone thinks of me unless it is my family. If you run your life wondering what others are thinking of you and your actions, you will end up in a white padded room.:)

Bryan

Sorry to push this, but we either stand together as one and do not question the ethical legality of a law, or we start splitting hairs and fall flat on our face. Bring out meat will not make a hill of beans to the anti's. That is why there was once Bear Watch and others who were trying to stop the black bear hunt in BC even when we had to bring out all edible portions of the bear.

Again, this is not about hunting the grizz. This is about us and our rights as Canadian and BCer's.

I rest my case

Cheers

SS

Fishing08018-1.jpg

I'll probably never be around that campfire, but I share the sentiment. Lots more to say, but our main points have been well-made in the thread.

One final point, cuz who can resist...? I agree that the only way to live your life is as an individual. But it is hard to win a political fight if you don't manage your image.

Been a rewarding exchange. :)

quote:Originally posted by Cuba Libre

Ken-- to be continued around the campfire this summer! :D

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Quatse?

After a days fishing!!!

And a cold one.

Cheers

SS

Fishing08018-1.jpg

Hey I'll drink to that![:p][:p]

IMG_1445.jpg

yup, you throw a rock at at a hornets nest and guess what happens??that aside,my personal feelings about killing a creature for a rug or wall hanging will never change,waste is waste.having said that, i would like to sincerely apologize to SG for my ad hominem remarks.however, at the same time people overtly posting 'Trophy' photos on a sportFishing website have gotta expect a little backlash...

Back