Why are jets banned on the Gold?

So far the only reason out there for the power boat ban on the Gold is because of a few crying jealous anglers? Come on…..Where are those ***** anglers from the past that pushed for this regulation? I know you’re out there lurking and reading this crap. Did you all quit fishing? Surely one of you can speak up in defense for your past actions. There must be some better reason than simple jealousy? Or not?
Boating and tackle restrictions thru out the region have drastically reduced the angling effort in streams on Vancouver Island. I think it’s time to start removing all the regulations that do nothing to save fish and have been applied to please certain complaining anglers. Relaxing these senseless restrictions might **** off a few cranky fishermen but will delight and encourage many more others to participate. I believe the province is in the interest and now mandated to find ways to increase angler participation and stimulate the economy. With no sensible opposition to power boat usage other than jealousy there should be great opportunity for removing this and many other regulations in the future. I’m excited!!!

Fishmyster, having taken up trolling, made the comments following.
My response is bolded.

“So far the only reason out there for the power boat ban on the Gold is because of a few crying jealous anglers?”

Damn!! You figured it out. You must be a frigging genius. LMFAO

“ Come on…..Where are those ***** anglers from the past that pushed for this regulation? I know you’re out there lurking and reading this crap. Did you all quit fishing? Surely one of you can speak up in defense for your past actions. There must be some better reason than simple jealousy? Or not?”

No. No. It was always just simple jealousy. None of the guys in the Steelhead Society ever caught any steelhead, all of them being elitist fly anglers of course, so when they heard about somebody catching 27 or 29 or some such number in one day using a jet powered inflatable and roe they all went crazy and made the authorities ban powerboats and roe.

“Boating and tackle restrictions thru out the region have drastically reduced the angling effort in streams on Vancouver Island.”

Absolutely true. Christ you ARE clever aren’t you?
The reduction in angling effort cannot possibly now be attributed to the lack of fish.
Nope, it’s “boating and tackle restrictions.” That’s what stops people from going fishing. Damn restrictions anyway!

“I think it’s time to start removing all the regulations that do nothing to save fish and have been applied to please certain complaining anglers. Relaxing these senseless restrictions might **** off a few cranky fishermen but will delight and encourage many more others to participate.”

Yep. Those certain complaining anglers used to control the world of steelheading here on Vancouver Island but now that you’re on to them I guess they’re screwed.
And you’re totally correct again about “regulations that do nothing to save fish”.
I mean what’s up with that?
We should all go back to killing our 40 a year as fast as possible like many did back in the good old days. Yesiree Bob, bring back the bloodbaths. That should attract new anglers for sure. I mean catch and release, come on, what a stupid idea.
Again, I’m just amazed at your intelligence on this topic. Who could possibly argue with your logic?

“I believe the province is in the interest and now mandated to find ways to increase angler participation and stimulate the economy. With no sensible opposition to power boat usage other than jealousy there should be great opportunity for removing this and many other regulations in the future. I’m excited!!!”

You are also as ignorant as they come, as the Province has absolutely nothing to do with powerboat bans on the Gold. It’s a FEDERAL regulation and wasn’t instituted to protect or save fish at all, although that would be a very good unintended consequence indeed.

Any other questions?

Take care.

I never knew the guys from the Campbell River Steel Head Society owned the Gold.They are the ones responsible for the jetboat ban on the Gold.Where are they now? What happened to these guys? What a friggen joke.I enjoyed my jet trips on the Gold back in the day,it was bl--dy awesome.

Looks like Kenny got David out to play:D.... Ahh bringing back memories of the old days, "Hadden vs Myers" round 2....Ding Ding:D

Pass the Pack

why dont they just allow jet boats on all streams and rivers. think about it flyfishing for cutties on the little q from a jet boat.. or better yet why dont they pave roads along all the river banks so u guys can drive right to the fishing hole. and u guys are right the only reason i dont like jet boats is jealousy, i mean who really wants to do the whole hiking and wading thing anyways

Wow Dave H. Your name-calling appears to show your intelligence. What a stand up guy. You must have some kind of "penis" envy. Cheers, Dave H.

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

I don't have any firm opinions on this issue. But I did get buzzed by a really big jet boat on a remote and seldom fished VI river the other day, and it left a bad taste in my mouth, so to speak. I had just finished a rough bushwhack to get to an amazing spot, and I was eying up the hole planning my approach when a distant roar became louder and louder. Sure enough, the jet boat blew through the best water at high throttle, creating a big wake, generally stirring up the spot and leaving bad smell. I don't know if there were fish there that day, but if there were, they were spooked out of biting.

There was no reason for this guy to run the hole like that. He saw me well in advance, surely knew the spot, as he was heading downstream, and he could have slowed down and left the place relatively intact for me. Whether or not he is a fisherman I can't be sure, but there was no sign of rods or a net; I am convinced he was a joy rider. Surely even jet boat fishermen don't want to see jet boat joyriders blasting through their hard-to-reach spots. But apparently if jets are allowed on the river, then that is a real likelihood. I think I would prefer to see some rivers jet free rather than lose the tranquility that I seek and cherish when I'm on the water.

Other watercraft don't have the same impact on the the water, the fish or the state of nature. I just don't think jets need to be allowed on every river unless there is good reason to keep them off. Because of the impact they have on the wild inhabitants of the area and on humans who have come down to the river to enjoy nature, it seems like the better default position is no jets, unless there is a good reason to grant them access. A ban on jets does not prohibit any able-bodied angler from fishing steelhead, but in my own recent experience, a jet on the river can have serious negative impacts on fishermen and presumably on fish and other wild animals as well. To draw a simple analogy, I don't think very many of us would seriously argure in ffavor of allowing dirt bikes on the West Coast Trail, even if it would get more people out there.

I am not jealous of those with jets; I have fished from them and it really changes things. But just because you've got one doesn't mean you should have a right to drive it over every drop of water in the province. Rather than demanding reasons for the prohibition, because jets are so out of place on a river in its natural state compared to a person walking or a raft drifting, lets see some cogent arguments as to why they should be allowed anywhere at all.

steelhead s2 you perfectly expressed my opinion on jet boats. the experience i had on a jet boat we caught fish but it didnt rewarding like it does to hike into a spot, wade out and stand on a half submerged rock to get a perfect cast. then fighting and landing it without nets, or others to help u. i dont need a rod holder when im fishing ... i have 2 hands

Hey circusmyster and the rest of the sled community why don't you just work a bit harder and flip a raft or drift boat in the river like the rest of us lowly bank maggots. Rumour has it you are the best steelhead fisherman around so you should have no problem using plastic bobs, worms etc and still slamming numbers that even SS would envy.

It sure sounds like a pile of jet whinning as the annointed ones have to abide by the same set of rules that the rest of the lowly angling community has to abide by.

Who knows you may even enjoy a day of fishing without having to wear hearing protection all day.

Island Fish Lifter wrote:

"Wow Dave H. Your name-calling appears to show your intelligence. What a stand up guy. You must have some kind of "penis" envy. Cheers, Dave H."

Could someone translate this into something intelligible for me please.

Apparently I've called someone a name, I'm intelligent and I can stand erect with an envious penis, or some such combination.

I never realized I was so multi-talented. :D

Give it a break kids. Roe Bags already explained things to you way back in an earlier post. The SSS system has it all for you bait bag and powerboat anglers and is heavily hatchery supported to boot.
What more do you want?

Nothing left to talk about from my point of view, so forget the childish retorts.

Oh, and somebody best tell Dinnertime what sarcasm is. Seems it went way over his head.

Take care.

Island Fish Lifter wrote:

"Wow Dave H. Your name-calling appears to show your intelligence. What a stand up guy. You must have some kind of "penis" envy. Cheers, Dave H."

Could someone translate this into something intelligible for me please.

Apparently I've called someone a name, I'm intelligent and I can stand erect with an envious penis, or some such combination.

I never realized I was so multi-talented. :D

Give it a break kids. Roe Bags already explained things to you way back in an earlier post. The SSS system has it all for you bait bag and powerboat anglers and is heavily hatchery supported to boot.
What more do you want?

Nothing left to talk about from my point of view, so forget the childish retorts.

Oh, and somebody best tell Dinnertime what sarcasm is. Seems it went way over his head.

Take care.

Yes Dave H I do have another question for you. Do you think that the federal govt. pulled the power boat restriction out of their ars hole??? We both know that somebody was b#m buddies with a Gold river council member. Also the MOE biologist B.H. had his fun there already. He was game to screw anybody who exploited steelhead for a living or wasn’t in his circle of buds. Ultimately the reg came from a provincial level recommendation not federal concoction.
As for you other comments: Killing 40 steelhead a year where did that come from? Take another pull dude, I’m pro catch and release always have been. Yes, It’s common knowledge that, regulations have chased the majority of fishing pressure away not lower fish stocks. Or I and many other guides would be there supporting the community in the winter. Lastly yes, the power boat reg came from a few crying anglers but it doesn’t take a genius to realize that.
Thank you steelhead S2 for the great post. Nice to hear a viable complaint. I do feel deeply for your valuable opinion. I don’t know what to suggest for you’re average experience to be more pristine and peaceful other than find more secluded spots. I have looked all over this province to find ecosystems that have no human intervention and true pristine wilderness. IT’S VERY RARE!!! I can tell you confidently that an automobile won’t get you there. Not to the best spots anyway. I also would like to reassure you that weather terrestrial or aquatic the wildlife is not traumatized after boats, planes, trains, log trucks, snowmobiles or kayakers intrude on their domain. They simply stand aside while the disturbance passes by and then resume life as usual. You do fit into a category of angler that is usually very passionate for the wilderness. I totally appreciate and sympathize with your view. Please don't let this unpleasnt boat experience jade your opinion of the rest of the jetters. Fact is that we all enjoy the outdoors in different ways. I’ve found that quiet and pristine is not, buy majority, a requirement for participation. Another fact for me to share is that many people are not healthy enough to walk to or would risk the slippery steps to reach the area that you were fishing recently when you encountered the jet intrusion. Expensive and specialized access vehicles are the primary tools for almost all outdoor recreational businesses in this province. This special equipment is used to attract clientel. Where were you recently fishing, may I ask?
My point in this thread is that, just like forestry, sport fishing is a valuable form of industry in this province. Although there are sacrifices to this industry they are all social and not scientific. Steelhead stocks are not threatened by boats, angling, or commercial exploitation. They are threatened by habitat loss and climate change. Economic value via sport fishing is the only way to ensure a rivers future protection from water and power demands. In the future quiet and pristine angler efforts will not hold a high enough lobby card to trump urban development and energy demands. At the present state the steelheads future existence is dismal. I love those stupid fish as much as anybody out there. I feel that sore lipped fish that have been run over by boats in the future is better than no fish in the future!!!

Yes Dave H I do have another question for you. Do you think that the federal govt. pulled the power boat restriction out of their ars hole??? We both know that somebody was b#m buddies with a Gold river council member. Also the MOE biologist B.H. had his fun there already. He was game to screw anybody who exploited steelhead for a living or wasn’t in his circle of buds. Ultimately the reg came from a provincial level recommendation not federal concoction.
As for you other comments: Killing 40 steelhead a year where did that come from? Take another pull dude, I’m pro catch and release always have been. Yes, It’s common knowledge that, regulations have chased the majority of fishing pressure away not lower fish stocks. Or I and many other guides would be there supporting the community in the winter. Lastly yes, the power boat reg came from a few crying anglers but it doesn’t take a genius to realize that.
Thank you steelhead S2 for the great post. Nice to hear a viable complaint. I do feel deeply for your valuable opinion. I don’t know what to suggest for you’re average experience to be more pristine and peaceful other than find more secluded spots. I have looked all over this province to find ecosystems that have no human intervention and true pristine wilderness. IT’S VERY RARE!!! I can tell you confidently that an automobile won’t get you there. Not to the best spots anyway. I also would like to reassure you that weather terrestrial or aquatic the wildlife is not traumatized after boats, planes, trains, log trucks, snowmobiles or kayakers intrude on their domain. They simply stand aside while the disturbance passes by and then resume life as usual. You do fit into a category of angler that is usually very passionate for the wilderness. I totally appreciate and sympathize with your view. Please don't let this unpleasnt boat experience jade your opinion of the rest of the jetters. Fact is that we all enjoy the outdoors in different ways. I’ve found that quiet and pristine is not, buy majority, a requirement for participation. Another fact for me to share is that many people are not healthy enough to walk to or would risk the slippery steps to reach the area that you were fishing recently when you encountered the jet intrusion. Expensive and specialized access vehicles are the primary tools for almost all outdoor recreational businesses in this province. This special equipment is used to attract clientel. Where were you recently fishing, may I ask?
My point in this thread is that, just like forestry, sport fishing is a valuable form of industry in this province. Although there are sacrifices to this industry they are all social and not scientific. Steelhead stocks are not threatened by boats, angling, or commercial exploitation. They are threatened by habitat loss and climate change. Economic value via sport fishing is the only way to ensure a rivers future protection from water and power demands. In the future quiet and pristine angler efforts will not hold a high enough lobby card to trump urban development and energy demands. At the present state the steelheads future existence is dismal. I love those stupid fish as much as anybody out there. I feel that sore lipped fish that have been run over by boats in the future is better than no fish in the future!!!

Back