Who's using AIS vhf

marula

Have to get a new vhf, thinking of the standard horizon gx2150 with AIS and tie it into a new gps. Who's using AIS and what is your thoughts ?

Thanks for any input.

I've got one and think that it is great. Well worth the money if your going buy a new one and interface it with your chartplotter

I have had one of for a year now. It only receives AIS, doesn't send. However I really like the unit. I buddy boat out of Winter Harbour with a guy that has the same unit. All the larger boats show up automatically. We program each others to track each other every so many minutes. That is nice and one of the main reasons for upgrading to it.
Ted

I have that exact unit and love it, I really like how it overlays all the commercial traffic right onto my hds10
poor mans radar of sorts.

I've been using that same unit and it's real nice to know where the freighters are in the fog for sure.

I have the ACR Nauticast receive only AIS unit. It was very reasonably priced (about $125 US or less), super easy to install and interfaces perfectly with my Garmin GPS. Of course it's not radar, but for a fraction of the cost, it lets me see the biggest ships from many miles away under any condition so I can get out and stay out of their way. It's excellent.

Last edited by a moderator:
The guys that posted above talked me into it. The more I get out the more I seem to like it. 2 weekends ago out on the banks I was coming in without the radar on because visibility was pretty good. Well I looked down on the plotter quick and saw a big black triangle bearing down on me. I looked to Starboard and a big Coast Guard cutter was a mile or so away. Yeah it works pretty good.

Back