which elecric winch ?

So no one wants to talk about electric boat winches. I will then. I think the one you are refering to is rated at 4000lb, which is fine for most small boats. I put a used one on my trailer, it was rated at 6000lbs, and so far am very happy with it. Mind you the boat only weighs about 1500-2000 lbs. Most of the time I am able to pull the boat to within 5ft of the winch so I am using very little cable. The only time I was a little concerned was putting it on at Kitty Coleman at a very low tide, I effectively picked it up dry. It was very slow but dragged it up the bunks fine, much better then a hand crank. IMO the biggest limitation is the dependence on battery power, mine has provision to use a crank handle, I don't think I would go without that feature. My 12v comes from my vehicle battery, I don't run run the engine on short pulls (steep ramps) , but do on long pulls where I know my park brake will hold ( manual transmission). If I was younger I don't believe I would not use an electric winch, but at this point I do appreciate it.

I notice some cheap products like Masterlock and Trac which say they are rated for 2000lb.
however they only pull 4' per minute and they don't come with a 4 pin connector.
I'm leaning towards the Power winch as they are rated for 15' per min, and I agree an emergency
crank is necessary.
If anybody knows a good place to buy locally I'd be interested ?

Don't have enough experience of power winches to really help you, but... ttt to get somebody more experienced to comment.
You will have to run a separate wire system to your truck battery. You need 30 amp capacity.
Alternative is to have a separate battery for the winch.
Saw a reference to using one of the portable jump starter systems to power the winch. Saves having to run wires to truck battery.
Also listed winch capacities are reportedly for a 5% grade max. I doubt if we get much steeper, but ?
D

Ordered one on line , $169 us
Power winch PW2, 4000LB max, 15' per min

Attachments

• power winch.jpg
    power winch.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 163
Last edited by a moderator:
That looks like a good deal.. I've had mine for 20 years with very little trouble. Does it come with a handle as I've had to use mine a few times ? I run mine from the battery to the back of my truck.. It sure makes life a lot easier..

Sounds like you got a good deal. Couple of things that I needed to look out for, hopefully your setup is different. You may need to put a shackle on your bow eye, so that the hook attaches vertically, rather then horizontally. Doing it this way decreases the chances of the hook snaging the supports for the bow stops. You may have to build a platform for the winch to sit on as sometimes the manual winch sits closer then the electrical one. I don't know what you get for a wiring kit, I used 10ga wire direct to the battery with a circuit breaker instead of a fuse. I know that replacing my manual winch with an electric has made my retrieval a little less stressfull, hopefully you will find the same.

If it doesn't have a handle, I'll make one.:)
good point on the bow eye, not sure how that will work
but hope to fit it to my existing winch stand.
(it does come with a 30 amp harness kit to fit to the truck)

Good luck with the Trac-- I went through two of them before CV Marine in Courtenay got me a Strong Arm TW9000,. rated at 500 lbs less than the Trac, but what a difference! Its rated for 3000lbs, 20ft tape instead of cable (which frayed after the first two uses with the Trac)

Wired to the truck with a 70 amp inline breaker. A bit more expensive than the Trac (approx $220 vs $280) but well worth it.

http://www.iboats.com/Powerwinch-RC...50054902--session_id.668714744--view_id.49241

I installed an RC30 on my trailer back in 08 and swapped it onto my new trailer in 2012. Still works well even after a few smoke fests pulling up some steep ramps like Gold River. A couple of things I've learned. Keep the plug in connection clean as its been the only source of issues for me fiddling with it to get a power connection. Its corroded over time. Secondly, I didn't like the feel of the tension on the wire cable and swapped it out for synthetic wire which builds up no kenetic energy meaning if it snaps when my head is right at the bow eye its not going to snap back at me. It'll just drop to the ground. Amazing product and stonger than wire. Thirdly you gotta have a good fuse box to manage / match the amps and I used 10 guage wiring direct to engine battery. Never had to use manual winch but I do have a crank on it.

one thing I've learned about buying on line, you really need to do your homework.
the same winch I bought was up to $150 more at the competition.
some companies were charging 50% of the price of the goods for freight and import charges.

Back