Where to fish the first week in June?

Nexform

Heading up to Rathtrevor beach camp ground the first week in June and wanted to take a day to take my 2 teenage boys fishing. With the recent chinook closure in Georgia strait, I think my options are:

1. Coho salmon out of French creek marina, ling cod, prawns (are there cohos in early June?)
2. Sockeye at Alberni Inlet (a little early?)
3. Chinook in Barkley sound (leave from Port Alberni so will be a full day)

I would appreciate input on the above options. Are the options realistic to catch salmon? I understand it is fishing and not catching but would like to have a decent chance at some salmon.

Please advise. Thanks.

If it were me I would spend a day fishing Barkley Sound. Beautiful scenery and good fishing. It’s pretty hard to catch a few hatchery coho without killing a bunch of wild ones and the coho in SOG are small in June. First week of June is a little early for sockeye but if you were in Barkley sound fishing springs you could try for sockeye too

French Creek
Coho “Usually” opens June 1st, hatchery only.
Mid to late June early coho start to show up but you’ll need to catch 10 wild to keep 1 clipped.
Ling cod and Rock fish, more so towards Ballenas or Sangster but watch out for RCA.
Best bet for a new area is with a local guide as local knowledge trumps time wasted looking for fish.
Good luck....

I would also say Barkley Sound, Sockeye fishing ‘generally’ doesn’t show any consistent action until the 2nd week of June. Spring fishing in June can be fairly consistent at most of the outer Sound spots (e.g. Kirby, Beale, Mears, etc.) , plus lingcod can be bonus.

I would keep it simple and head out of French creek. Last few years the coho fishing has been good early in the season and you can still catch and release chinook.

Back