Where are all the crab?

poet1971

Hey everyone. Just wondering if anyone knows where the crab are around Victoria. I want to drop my traps next week and I'm looking for the best place to drop them. Tips?

Give it a whirl and let us know. poet1971 half the fun of crabbing is going out and trying it yourself. The search function on this site works awesome as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the spots closest to the sewage outfalls...they glow, making them easier to spot

Last edited by a moderator:
....the pot when you cook them

Sorry guys I needed to get 1000... this post should do it :cool:

Thanks boyz, rs you are a hard act to follow :)

I was out fishing a few weeks back and after letting the 2 crab traps soak all day we pulled up nothing.... not a female, no males, no sea lice..... nothing. Even the bait was untouched.... a sea food mix of anchovie's(old bait), Mackrel, Salmon head and a bunch of ripe salmon eggs. I thought that the male crabs showed up this time of year? and where do the females go? During the summer months we use to pull our traps and get 20+ females out of a trap and lucky if you get one or 2 males. I'm hoping to get out this weekend and was wondering if it is even worth putting the traps down? Or maybe its time to find a new spot to drop the traps, far side of bay out from Cheanuh use to be a good spot. Anybody got any ideas?

Crabbing is good right now sorry I won't share specific spots online but find where the crabs are and you'll catch some.

If your focus is crab and your not sure where to go pull your traps every 1-2 hours and move them if your not catching until you find a good spot. Once you trust your spot you can leave em and go fish for the day. My first few times crabbing around Vic I got skunked too.

Becher Bay, pretty much anywhere less then 40 feet, Pedder Bay, pretty much anywhere less then 50 feet, Victoria Waterfront green marker off the harbour, Cowichan Bay, darn near anywhere.

Beecher Bay sucks for crabbing, you will have more successtrolling for discarded commie traps :(

You would be better off heading to Renny to crab andafterwards you can fraternise with the guides over a large pot of crabs;)

Becher Bay, pretty much anywhere less then 40 feet, Pedder Bay, pretty much anywhere less then 50 feet, Victoria Waterfront green marker off the harbour, Cowichan Bay, darn near anywhere.
Thanks for the info.... I've been putting the traps in 50 ft of water, you wouldn't think that 10 ft would make that much difference but will give 40 ft a try.... thanks.... Steve.

If you can get any,try,as mentioned by Andrew P, prawn heads. They are by far the best bait I've ever used for crab
in Saanich Inlet. Without a word of a lie,I've had many traps come up after a full days soak with 20+ in them.

Back