Whats are your plans for winter upgrades?

Interior Flooring

My big project this winter is to replace the old ratty carpet inside the cabin of the boat with either wood, faux wood or some other type of non-carpet. Stinky fish goo, sand, crap and carpet just don't mix over the long run. Options seem to be so far:

NuTeak: Looks and feels like real Teak wood -- but pricey at $15/sqft

Pergo Laminate: From the local Home Depot -- about $3/sqft, but I am unsure about durability inside the boat.

MarineLam: similar to NuTeak -- it's a synthetic flooring material -- works out to about $7/sqft delivered: http://www.worldpanel.com/marinelam.htm

V
inyl Cherry "Boards": again, at the local Home Depot -- snap together like hardwood -- peel and stick: ~$1/sqft

Real hardwood: About $6/sqft -- but heavy and I'm concerned about durability

Still making up my mind. Anyone have an opinion on what I should use?

It's not sexy looking for a nice boat like yours, but I went with rubber. On my runabout I wanted some grip but easy cleanup. I stipped the old flooring viny crap and took some ribbed hallway/entrance runner from Castle building supply on Cook St and used a V grooved adhesve spreader to apply some waterproof urethane to the deck, then kind of squeegeed the rolled rubber down to elimate any captured bubbles. Easy hose down to the rear of the boat. Nice and warm when the sun hits the black rubber too. I did not realize it wasn't vulcanized though, so any fuel spills soften up the rubber unless immediately wiped up. There are some other industrial matting products made of rubber compounds that are solvent and chemical resistant and they look good, but are pricey and hard to locate on the Island.

Hey Ten
what about something like this, easy install, can be trimmed to fit perfectly and easily removed for cleaning
http://www.dri-dek.com/

Hey Ten
what about something like this, easy install, can be trimmed to fit perfectly and easily removed for cleaning
http://www.dri-dek.com/

They sell a similar product to Dri-Deck at Home Depot. I tried it on my last boat and ended up taking it out. It works ok in the cockpit where you are fishing, however, blood and fish scales etc... get caught in the holes in the tiles. The fiberglass floor under the tiles still gets dirty and you can see it through them -- so in the end, I found the floor always looked really bad. I think the solid products are better -- I've seen some good reviews of SeaDek: http://www.seadekstore.com/largesheet-39inx77in-5mm.aspx

One of the guys from the Striper Owner's Club posted his photos -- looks great: http://seastriper.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13715&highlight=flooring

For my application this time, I'm looking to replace the interior carpet. Under the carpet today is the plywood flooring so I do need something solid and permanent. Looks like I might be able to get a good deal on the MarineLam product as they have 2 4'x10' sheets that have some end damage on them they are willing to discount. It's a product meant for this type of application.

Last edited by a moderator:
gidyup, another problem with that stuff is whe you are leaning over the gunnels or back of the boat, it can slide out from under ya and you may be swimming, ive seen it happen, i would never use that stuff, i find it way to dangerous to tell ya the truth....holmes*
Good point there holmes, I think Tenmile has his mind pretty much made up anyway

Anyone have a Lewmar profish anchor windlass? How do you like it. I've been toying with the idea of installing one of these for halifishing.

I have had a Lewmar Profish for 4 years and, while I only use it a few times a year, it has been absolutely reliable and required no maintenance whatesoever.

My own winter upgrade is less desirable ... bottom paint. Last year's addition of an autopilot was a big improvement though for both trolling and running on calm days. I also need to figure out which is the best and most stable, rod holder mounted fish cleaning station as unfortunately my dock neighbor has taken to complaining about fish cleaning right on the dock. I have looked at Magma's line and they seem to be very well reviewed but I would be curious if anyone has any recommendations in this regard.

Good point there holmes, I think Tenmile has his mind pretty much made up anyway
I have that dri-deck stuff on my boat and it is actually quite good. Boat came with it when I bought it and at first I too was worried about the ability to slip out from under you. But in 4 years and many many many times leaning out over the gunwale, it has never slipped. The key is to make sure you cover the entire aft deck with it, -side to side and front to back. Then it has no where to slide to.

May be expensive, but anyone explore epoxy flooring? It will last a long time and can add grit if wanted (although this may be a pain in terms of trapping blood, scales, etc). I know of a few guys in Victoria that could install it if anyone is interested. It probably would be better suited for tinnies as I don't know what would happen in 15 years when you want to remove it from a glass boat. Probably would have to go over it.

true fin addict, deffinately there cannot be any play in it whatsoever, but i also think it depends on the boat as well, it just doesnt suit the layout of the deck on some boats, IMO.....holmes*

You Blackhawk guys have the BEST ideas!!

Well I just blew the coop today! Upgraded my LCX-111 rear cockpit unit for a new HDS 10. Replaced my LCX 16 ci unit up front for an HDS7 combined with the new 3G broadband radar dome. Side scan sonar is next week after I scratch up some more money. I want the hub that comes with the side scan system for linking the two head units together. I am keeping my Global Map 7200 up front for now as a stand alone GPS chartplotter (it's only 3 years old). I'll post up some pics after the install. Pretty stoked to finally have radar. Had a few days this year where I needed it badly.

Cheers,
Sculpin

Nicely done Sculpin -- you'll like the HDS -- I've got one with the BB Radar and Sidescan -- pretty slick setup. If you're in need of a new VHF, also take a look at the Standard Horizon 2150. It integrates completely with the HDS and displays AIS information for vessels 30+ miles away -- pretty cool.

It's like all the toys out there now a days. I did need to get radar with all the banks fishing I do with the fog etc. fishing amongst other boats. Thankfully I waited this long and got that 3G unit. Can't wait to try it out. It is supposed to be amazing. I don't know how much I will use the side scan sonar but I am looking forward to the hub that comes with that kit. I can hook up the new HDS7 up front working both radar and sonar with this new hub. I have multiple back up GPS units now as well with the build in antenna's on the two new units. I also carry a hand held Lowrance in the glove box that accepts the same chip as the head units. Wow four GPS's.

Now that I have a "network" system started I think I may add the music package as well. I will just buy a cheap recycled Ipod to store all my music on and plug it in and rock on!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Settled on a flooring product. Decided to use "Allure" vinyl planks from Home Depot. Roughly $50 per box of 20sqft. These are a click-lock flooring system with a rubber backing. Completely waterproof. No glue. They simply float over the sub-floor. I will end up using some 4200 for the stairs so they don't move. I chose a board that looks like cherry wood to match the cabinets, but they have them in industrial colours as well -- one that looks like stamped black steel.

Here's a pic for the colour matching -- removal of the stinky carpet starts today:

Saanich-20111019-00002.jpg

Finished about 80% this weekend.

Before:
View attachment 2303

After:

View attachment 2304

Looks great Ten, I hope it holds up good for you
I have used that exact product and the seams fit perfectly together and seem to be pretty water tight,
it is recomended for use in bathrooms so shouldn't be any water/dampness issues,
I picked up that GX2150 and got the MMSI back already, just got to put it in this week and give her a try
looks pretty decent and sounds like a good match for the HDS too
Tim

My plans are to:
- replace the seating and put in a new hydraulic captains seat to save my back when pounding off-shore,
- already I replaced my Lowrance LCX 37c with a new HDS 8 unit and love the speed, power and 3d mapping with my Navionics Platinum chip
- if I have the $ install some cabin drop curtains for those chilly days.
- sell my 1999 Yammy 9.9 kicker high thrust, and install a brand new one.

Back