Whats are your plans for winter upgrades?

1. Two new batteries
  2. Re-design fish cleaning table
  3. Add LED lighting to cabin and running lights
  4. Additional bracing to the hard top
  5. re-design brake flushing lines
  6. Annual PM on brakes
  7. Replace impellers in both motors
  8. re-paint bottom
  9. Maybe replace scupper thru-hulls with s.s.
  10. bunk carpet replacement - maybe use UHMW
  11. Normal annual maintenance - Fuel filters, wax hull
  12. Other great ideas as they come to me. :cool:,

Regarding bunk carpet replacement, I put these on this summer.

http://www.tiedown.com/abunks.html

They work great and super easy to install. For guys with aluminum boats, get rid of the bunk carpet. It can cause big corrosion problems. Google - poultice corrosion

I found the receipt $48US, shipped to the US.

Bought from Amazon.com. They're the cats butt. I needed to replace my carpeting anyways. Not super slippery, but they definitely make it easier to launch and load my boat by myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did lots last year but have this on my list

1. Fuel flow sensor tied into my Lowrance
2. Inverter system 1000 watts or so
3. Battery charger setup
4. Redo bunks/carpet
5. Trailer annual love & care
6.Try to balance off some weight to the port side / offset kicker and me
7. Cannonball holders
8. Get name on boat
9. Service both motors /impeller on kicker
10. Prawn puller
11. Swim grid ideas

Oh man, that's gonna be pricey.

You know why divorce is so expensive?

Because it's worth it. Ha,Ha

I built a nice shelter out of 2x6 steel studs with a HD tarp over it
works good for my 23'6" w/hardtop ---- saw your pics on a different thread of your electrical work ,,I am jealous ---- how do I go about finding what a setup like that consists of

Same owner actually. They're 17's registered as 16's ... Unsure about the hours as they hourmeters have never been changed but both boats were repowered in 2007 but I did talk to the mechanic who maintains these engines at boatland, and they have been in 4 times per year faithfully and never missed a beat. Compression is excellent on them, and not even a hiccup with mine. I plan on repowering soon anyways. I actually really enjoy this boat for now until I build a larger one for myself. They are originally from the QCI area, but have been located here north of CR for quite a few years. Unsure what he's asking for the other but I can submit that I'm pretty happy with it. Have been thinking rather than a cabin, throwing a full window canvass on it, that way on a nice day one can just roll it up. Going into the shop this week though to widen the roof, and add a bit more support to the roof as well. Bounces a bit too much for my comfort with crab traps on when a decent wake is hit at full clip. I rarely trust anyone's welds but my own, and would hate to come home from a fishing trip with a broken neck :)

Nice boat Fishbc.org. Daigle marine has one that looks exactly like it for sale right now. I was going to go take a look at it, but I didn't want a motor with 750 hours on it. Thiers is a 16' with a 75 hp Honda. Same t-top and everything. Probably came from the same lodge in Nootka.

I ended up with my Daigle mainly because the 2006 Merc 75 hp had 185 hours on it. Compression test came back at 180 psi across all 4 cylinders. So I'm a little hesitant to upgrade to a larger motor when the one I have is so fresh. But with a cruising speed of around 18 knots @ 4200rpm, I think I'm going to get frustrated with the small motor that's on it. But it's really good on fuel if I don't run at WOT.

I do love the hulls on these boats though. Not many are up for sale either. They tend to hold their value quite well. With a little cleaning, mine will look like new again. A little love and elbow grease goes a long way.

. Unsure what he's asking for the other but I can submit that I'm pretty happy with it. QUOTE]

$15,900. I had them call the owner and ask how many hours, as Daigle was unsure. They came back with 750 estimated. They said it was very well maintained though. But I just didn't want that many hours. Nice boat though. I love to fly fish for coho, so I thought the top might get in the way a bit. I ended up with an 18' for a little less than they wanted. But I had to buy a trailer.

Getting my electric Scotty 1106's this weekend. Hopefully I can get them on Friday or Saturday and get out and fish. I've been out cruising around a little bit and really want to start fishing. Told my wife I would just winter it and buy all the goodies over the winter. But I can't wait!! Gotta do it now. I'm glad she so understanding.

Whats wrong with 750 hours on a newer 4 stroke outboard? Isnt that less than a 1/4 of its expected lifespan??

My mechanic said to try and stay away from higher hour motors ( he feels 750 hours is high ) used exclusively in the salt. He's a good friend of mine, so I took his advice. I ran every boat and hours on the motor by him as I was looking. He said he's seen some horror stories of guys buying higher hour motors and then having to put a lot of money in to it. That's one guys opinion, and I'm sure there's others out there and many higher hour motors that are perfectly fine. For me personally, it made sense to buy a boat with a low hour motor, as I don't have much extra cash to fix any possible problems. I managed to find a boat that fit every criteria I had, except for coming with a trailer.

To be honest I would have felt the same as you with regards to the hours had I not spoken to the mechanic, and tested the motor for three days first, but yeah for a four stroke it's really not all that high, but for a two stroke, I'd be running the other way. I was quite pleased to see how much these engines were serviced and taken care of though.

That's the key, how it has been serviced. I never really got in to it with them. Once my mechanic said it was a little on the high side, I walked. Being from PoCo, it's an expensive trip for me to take my mechanic over there with me to do the inspection. So it wasn't worth it to me. If the boat was over here on the mainland, I most likely would have went and had a look at it.

Have mine out now getting
New tops, drop downs and windshield extension, (going Black this time)
Bottom painted, and leg antifouling
installing a shore power hook-up center2 bank battery charger,
new washdown pump,new cuddy upholstry, (wifes requirements)
new VHF,
oil change and all filters, and zincs
OH and I still have to get that cleaning trough built too,
hope to be back in the water next saturday to boot- not going to happen just got a call from top shop my top material is coming from the east-Damn!

Fishing gear
apparently I have too much now........ Hhhmm
may add some prawning equipment and give that a go for the first time
apparently I didnt have enough stuff picked up 4 traps, a bunch of leaded and floating line, bouy's ect... oh and the Ace puller coming next week,
bottom paint tomorrow
I think I'm good to go for now

Tim

Well everything in green is done so far, The top guys took alot longer then expected but well worth the wait so I'm a little pressed for time to get it back in and back fishing for a bit longer
so I'll probably wait untill I pull it again end of nov or dec some time.

Well here it is with the new tops I really like it, so much more quieter and really warm to boot

Before
IMGP2185.jpgIMGP2200.jpg

And Now
012.jpg013.jpg015.jpg

Looks much better now hey? amazing what a little color change can do

Anyone have a Lewmar profish anchor windlass? How do you like it. I've been toying with the idea of installing one of these for halifishing.

Anyone have a Lewmar profish anchor windlass? How do you like it. I've been toying with the idea of installing one of these for halifishing.

I don't have the ProFish -- but the Lewmar 700. It's the same unit as the ProFish but doesn't have the freefall option (can be added). It's a very nice unit -- extremely heavy and appears to be very well built. I've had it on the boat now for about 6 months. I found a NIB deal on Craigslist locally and got it for $500 (they generally go locally for $8-900).

Mine is the Horizonal unit -- in retrospect I'd go with the Vertical unit if I was to do it again (but the price made my decision for me). First, it takes up less room on the deck (however you have to have space in your anchor locker for the motor -- I did). Second and more importantly, I find that once the anchor hits bottom and the rode slackens that the rode will often slip off the Capstain and then starts to play out on it's own. That's a major pain as I then have to walk out to the bow and adjust it -- no big deal if anchoring in a protected bay -- but I wouldn't want to do it anchoring for halibut.

Honestly, if anchoring for halibut, I'd stick with the Scotchman/Anchor retrieval method. It's safer and allows you to quickly unhook your anchor if you need to get out of the way quickly (big boat or big water coming at you)...

Back