What to do with white spring

The thead said what to do with White and marbled springs,hope they are not hybirding the streams with whites ,are the iodine bathes or cemicale bathes they are subjected to at incubation stage related to pale color of meat?

Sometimes i put on my tinfoil hat and think the same things. Only i do it with spellcheck.

This white spring issue frustrated me to no end when guiding.

A guest would see the colour of the flesh and looked puzzled. Even after explaining that a white spring is a prized fish I still got the feeling it was bound to stay in a freezer until it got thrown out.

I personally love them, particularly for smoking.

I'll take them back home to Alberta with me if yah all don't want them.. They fit in my jars or smoker no problem..

Smoke them!

Attachments

• IMG_1982 (Small).jpg
    IMG_1982 (Small).jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_1974 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1974 (Small).JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 309
I'll take a whitey any day over a red. Love them on BBQ skin down. Prior to cooking place in pan skin down, then spread olive oil on the flesh, then sprinkle ginger powder, liberal amounts of fresh crushed garlic and fresh dill, sprinkle course salt and then top with liberal amount of dark brown sugar and place in fridge for an hour to 2 hours to cure. Then place on bbq, and key is not to over cook. As soon as meat starts to flake, pull it off the bbq and enjoy.

Salt, pepper, lemon zest, fresh sliced ginger all over the top, butter and bake...other than that, iam not a big fan of them on the bbq

Salt, pepper, lemon zest, fresh sliced ginger all over the top, butter and bake...other than that, iam not a big fan of them on the bbq

Same with us. Wife did not like White Springs and I ask her to do a blind test and she could not tell the difference.

I eat white springs all the time cooked many ways as mentioned in previous posts. One thing I do with 20+ fish is grind them up and make salmon burgers. The fatty big ones stay moist. The secret is do not over cook. Seasoning is up to your imagination. I also make salmon tartare or ceviche with the ground fish.

I eat white springs all the time cooked many ways as mentioned in previous posts. One thing I do with 20+ fish is grind them up and make salmon burgers. The fatty big ones stay moist. The secret is do not over cook. Seasoning is up to your imagination. I also make salmon tartare or ceviche with the ground fish.

Do you have a recipe you can share for salmon burgers?

I basically make them the same as beef burgers. Egg and bread crumbs for binder, dill weed, salt and pepper and any other spice you want to throw in. I also grate some lemon rind and ginger in it. I make a avocado and wasabi spread for a topping. If you like cilantro I chop some up and add to the mixture. I grill them the same you would do a regular burger paying close attention as they cook in 5 min each side.

Time to revive this old tread. Post your recipes and techniques for cooking/smoking white springs.

First salmon I caught was a white out of the lake else river terrace bc
Very yummy
I have tried this recipe and prefer it to all others for filets in the oven
Herb and garlic spice and cover with fresh grated Parmesan cheese not powder, flakes or fresh shedded, cover completely with min 1/4 inch or more it seals in flavour when it melts instead of tin foil wrap or pan with lid
I still like fried best with a spiced oil rub usually Montreal chicken in melted butter or the best olive oil available
I’ll tell you now believe me later this recipe will change how you oven cook salmon

Back