What to do when a Seller ghosts you?

Small claims court is definitely worth their (your parent’s) trouble. The process sounds arduous but it really isn’t. Technically you can even swear a Criminal information at the court house before a JP. Some court clerks will know that, others may not and you will have to deal with the Crown Counsel geek who may get his ginch in a knot. Good luck and keep us posted.

Small claims court or I'd suggest unfortunately take the loss as a lesson ( re not negotiating a price based on down-riggers not being available at pick up) ....and move on. For court you'd do best to have proof of the inclusion of the riggers with the boat sale ( promissory note/IOU receipt /e-mail). Otherwise the seller could just say that there must have been a misunderstanding as a verbal deal was reached that did not include the riggers (even if that was not fact as to what happened) . The seller however is looking rather bad right now as they appear to be ignoring several diff methods of contacting them ...... all while they apparently have been logging in to this forum. You could just link (or cut paste) the boat ad in another thread and title it "The Boat My Parents Bought" or just a photo of the boat and title "The Boat My Parent's Bought From Forum Member ____ ;-) lol .

But more seriously I am a little concerned that if this seller is in fact not providing the buyer with the goods promised but paid for, that they then could very easily do the same to other buyers on here if the site admin's policy is to not allow a member to be called out for a possible bad sale on the forum. Would it not be in the best interest of admin and the success of the site/ Buy&Sell forum to, at the very least, contact the member who is being accused and attempt to find out what happened? If for example the admin can not be satisfied that the member has behaved appropriately in the selling of an item, can they not just revoke their membership? As a member and buyer on this forum I can say if this isn't policy in these cases, I 'd think hard about using the site to buy anything. The one safety net I thought we had here is that it was harder for a member to rip off another ( less likely ) due to the membership sign up.

Good points.

How hard is it to set up a buyer/seller feedback system for each member on here, like on many other forums? Usually when that’s part of the forum profile, people go way out of their way to ensure smooth transactions.

Last edited:
So small update.... Parents have now stopped by the sellers place, spoken with his mother and wife. They both indicated that he has been away for work for a bit, but now back. He still hasn't responded. They have not logged into the forum in some time now.

So small update.... Parents have now stopped by the sellers place, spoken with his mother and wife. They both indicated that he has been away for work for a bit, but now back. He still hasn't responded. They have not logged into the forum in some time now.
Good info for a court affidavit should your parents decide to go that way. You likely know this, but try to ensure that you / your parents don’t extend a time line to him. Just keep hammering away that the items were owed to you(s) at the time of the sale/pickup. Good luck.

I have a question: I sold a boat/motor/trailer late this summer with a parts main motor as part of the bill of sale. The parts motor wouldn't fit in the truck of the buyer initially but he promised to come back and get it at a later date with a buddy's truck.
He's virtually vanished, now, and a couple of my texts have gone unanswered...
What should I do? The motor is part of the sale, but it still remains in my possession and it seems the buyer isn't interested/aware...?

Free advice is worth every penny you spend on it.

Send the buyer a couple of messages saying that if the motor is not picked up in thirty days, it will be deemed to be abandoned and you will deal with it as necessary with no recourse to the buyer.

I have a question: I sold a boat/motor/trailer late this summer with a parts main motor as part of the bill of sale. The parts motor wouldn't fit in the truck of the buyer initially but he promised to come back and get it at a later date with a buddy's truck.
He's virtually vanished, now, and a couple of my texts have gone unanswered...
What should I do? The motor is part of the sale, but it still remains in my possession and it seems the buyer isn't interested/aware...?
Notify him that , later date for you means abt. 1 month, that you cannot keep anymore and fix a time bar to take them, otherwise you will consider the buyer is not interested in taking them anymore.

Agree with Gong Show. Make ‘reasonable attempts’ to contact him. Post here as you did etc, print everything out and throw it into a file. Wait 30 days or 60 days and then move on. You just need to show reasonableness should he come out of the woodwork at some point.

Back