What size Hawaiian snaps?

Isn't it funny that everyone hates them yet they're what everyone is taught to use? Who's the as*hat that started this *****?

the gibbs stuff is nothing short of hot garbage. the thinner Gibbs wire is flimsy and rolls in your fingers; and they rust quickly. the thicker guage clips i find are easier to open because they aren’t springy. this is stainless commercial stuff i picked up at Redden in CR. i then add those black Mustad roller barrels. it’s a bomb proof combo that never fails.

Attachments

• 6319C458-6A3A-4E41-97F1-795FE5E2D86A.jpeg
    6319C458-6A3A-4E41-97F1-795FE5E2D86A.jpeg
    270.4 KB · Views: 110
Mcman snaps are easy to use. Used them for years......all others don't measure up to commercial abuse. Any event pincing them together is hard and doesn't work well. Slide the eye of the swivel into the groove between the 2 legs and work it in that way. When removing grab one leg with the swivel on the other side and pull apart whole sliding the swivel down and around the leg. Soooo easy even when cold. There is no other snap to use, make sure they are crome plated brass....PNT sells the real deal.

Last edited:
I’m a certified idiot that can’t do anything right. But I’ve never had a problem with Hawaiian snaps. Never thought twice about them. Sounds like we have a bunch of sissies on here

Mcman snaps are easy to use. Used them for years......all others don't measure up to commercial abuse. Any event pincing them together is hard and doesn't work well. Slide the eye of the swivel into the groove between the 2 legs and work it in that way. When removing grab one leg with the swivel on the other side and pull apart whole sliding the swivel down and around the leg. Soooo easy even when cold. There is no other snap to use, make sure they are crome plated brass....put sells the real deal.
Mike has got the technique right. The #4 and #5 will also come apart fairly easily by squeezing together first, but the #6 (halibut size) is way easier to disconnect by pulling the clip apart first before sliding the swivel down and around the leg.
...Rob

Last edited:
I’ve been doing my hootchies the way shown in the pic for quite a while. I use size 4 snap which is about an inch. Mostly out of belief they’re a little less likely to foul up? Maybe I’m wrong but it’s what works for me. Barbed hook shown in the pic but it’s not mine. I just used it to show how I set mine up.
No need for a snap or a swivel on a hootchie rig with heavy mono just tie a double loop knot and always leave the snap attached to the flasher if you cut a little bit bigger hole in the head of the hootchies you can change hootchies bye just sliding a new one on this way you don't need to many pretied leaders

Back