What Sage Fly Rod to Buy??

I have to agree with much of what was said here. Most of all that as a beginner it is a good idea to learn on a good rod with very good line like a Rio (owned by Sage) or Cortland, but it is not necessary to buy the most expensive rod available. There are many excellent manufacturers that make great products at a lower cost: Echo, Snowbee, TFO, Redington (who are owned by Sage), Allen, St.Croix, even G.Loomis and many others. Once you have a casting style preference you can make a better, more educated choice of high end rod. Believe me, once you start to enjoy Fly Fishing, you will feel compelled to accumulate many rods for as many types of fishing as you can. I don't really believe in the "One rod for all occasions" theory so getting value for your money on several different rods is a better strategy. Make a visit to a local Fly Shop, many of them will have tester rods available and you can try them out before you buy. Good luck.

Thanks for all the info guys. For mainly fishing fresh water (trout, etc) seems to be a consensus that a rod in the 7-8wt range is ideal...am I wrong for thinking that? Or would you go with something in the 5 range?

A 5 would be ideal for resident trout but you'll need the 8 for salmon and steel.

Sounds like you'll need two rods ;)

Get the 8... So many salmon opportunities on the north island, both salt and fresh...Steelhead as well

7 and 8 way to heavy for typical trout fishing. 5 wt would be my choice. If you find out fly fishing is indeed for you, you can save your $$ and buy a nice 7 wt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
And dont buy by brand......expensive doesn't necessarily make it better for a learner...

5 weight for trout. If you use a float tube or wade a lot, you might appreciate having a ten footer instead of a nine footer. You will find it easier to get a longer backcast.

Thanks for all the info guys. For mainly fishing fresh water (trout, etc) seems to be a consensus that a rod in the 7-8wt range is ideal...am I wrong for thinking that? Or would you go with something in the 5 range?
I use either a 4 or 5 weight for trout. Unless you are in Alaska where the rainbows are the size of cohos, either size would be fine. For steelhead or salmon, I'd go with a 7 or 8 weight. I like lighter rods because even a small fish would be lots of fun.......

Back