What kind of aluminum do you guys use for fabrication of helms and boxes and such.

Rain City

Crew Member
I want to get some material for making a box for my steering station but will probably buy a little extra. What's the industry standard for "stock" material? Sheet, plate, 1/4", 3/8", something I have no idea about?

I want to get some material for making a box for my steering station but will probably buy a little extra. What's the industry standard for "stock" material? Sheet, plate, 1/4", 3/8", something I have no idea about?
Need more specifics about your question. Are you asking what thickness of aluminum is best to make a box from for marine application? Are you asking what grade of aluminum for what exact application? Do you want an aluminum that will bend in a tight degree without cracking? Or will it all be cut and welded... Lot's of different types/alloys meant for more specific applications/purposes. Some will bend much easier than others without cracking, and also if you are going to be welding it to another alloy on your boat you need to know how well they go together and what wire to use when welding them together if mig'd or what type filler rod to use if tig'd..
The thinner you go the nicer tig welded will make the end product look if done nicely.

Need more specifics about your question. Are you asking what thickness of aluminum is best to make a box from for marine application? Are you asking what grade of aluminum for what exact application? Do you want an aluminum that will bend in a tight degree without cracking? Or will it all be cut and welded... Lot's of different types/alloys meant for more specific applications/purposes. Some will bend much easier than others without cracking, and also if you are going to be welding it to another alloy on your boat you need to know how well they go together and what wire to use when welding them together if mig'd or what type filler rod to use if tig'd..
The thinner you go the nicer tig welded will make the end product look if done nicely.
Ummmm yeah. All that. I don't have a break so assuming I'd just be cutting and welding. I'd be bolting onto glass or clamping onto stainless rails somehow. I also have a mig spool gun and have tested my beads on some 1/4" plate. Was pretty happy with the look.

5052 is what I would use. They carry it stock at Samuel in Van and Vic. For the cost of off cut just get a sheet of it. Way cheaper.

Ummmm yeah. All that. I don't have a break so assuming I'd just be cutting and welding. I'd be bolting onto glass or clamping onto stainless rails somehow. I also have a mig spool gun and have tested my beads on some 1/4" plate. Was pretty happy with the look.
1/4" is thick to make just a box out of but ya the thinner you go with mig then the better you need to be with your quality welds and settings. Tig takes more skill but is much better for thinner stuff. If you know the exact dimensions you are going to go with you can pay places like Metal Supermarket etc. to pre cut it all for you to save time unless you have a sheer yourself or plasma/grinders etc.. Cut torching aluminum=nope.

I paid $225.00 for the 1/4" 8 x 10 sheet for the 5052H32. You probably only need like 11 gauge or something like that might be cheaper... 1/4" is pain if you don't have good brake/right die set.

what sizes do you need ?

1/4" is thick to make just a box out of but ya the thinner you go with mig then the better you need to be with your quality welds and settings. Tig takes more skill but is much better for thinner stuff. If you know the exact dimensions you are going to go with you can pay places like Metal Supermarket etc. to pre cut it all for you to save time unless you have a sheer yourself or plasma/grinders etc.. Cut torching aluminum=nope.
I paid $225.00 for the 1/4" 8 x 10 sheet for the 5052H32. You probably only need like 11 gauge or something like that might be cheaper... 1/4" is pain if you don't have good brake/right die set.
I'd be working with a portaband or a jig/skil saw. Maybe not a bad idea to get it pre-cut.

I'd be working with a portaband or a jig/skil saw. Maybe not a bad idea to get it pre-cut.
Ya couple places in Langley that I use a fair bit Metal Supermarket and Metal Mart I think are their names.. they will pre cut it all for you. You can even call ahead and order it to be done. They also have scrap bins of cut offs you may be able to pick through to get stuff cheaper.

what sizes do you need ?
Don't know yet. Waiting for inlet to send me the specs on the throttle and wheel. Probably like a 15x15 square and a couple of triangle sides and a back plate. I'm assuming.

You can get a place like Aquashear in NVan to supply the plate AND water cut it for you. Then you'd just have to weld together. Aquashear 604-986-2513

I've had them quote on a job but I ended up doing something else entirely. They were great to work with in the quote phase

You can get a place like Aquashear in NVan to supply the plate AND water cut it for you. Then you'd just have to weld together. Aquashear 604-986-2513

I've had them quote on a job but I ended up doing something else entirely. They were great to work with in the quote phase
Nice thanks

Watch out fingers, 1/4" should be CNC cut.
Ive done half inch steel with a cordless skill saw. Its all speed/feed and managing heat.

Not every project needs cnc.

Wd40 or another cutting fluid will keep the aluminum from gumming up the blade.

Back