What kind of aluminum do you guys use for fabrication of helms and boxes and such.

I added a second Blue Seas switch on my boat and cut the hole with a jig saw after drilling the corners. I found out after I was done the entire helm was done in 1/4” and it cut fine with good blades.

At work I got metal mart to bend me up some 1/8 stainless steel countertops. Burned out 3 hole saw bits even the ones that said there were made for stainless.

At work I got metal mart to bend me up some 1/8 stainless steel countertops. Burned out 3 hole saw bits even the ones that said there were made for stainless.

Stainless will work harden really easily. Have to cut it slow with lots of pressure.

Again cutting fluid would help.

Helms, boxes and such above the water line use 5052 and weld with 5356 wire.

Assemblies and structure below the waterline use 5086 and weld with 5356 wire.

I would guess that 1/8 should be more than sufficient for you. Treat it like wood and you’ll be fine. Rather than WD40 as a cutting lube, use a wax of some sort on the blade itself just before you cut it. You can also use Fast Orange (hand cleaner) in a pinch.

I’ve cut one inch and better aluminum with skilsaws lots, so the 1/4” and up needing to be CNC cut is completely untrue.

Helms, boxes and such above the water line use 5052 and weld with 5356 wire.

Assemblies and structure below the waterline use 5086 and weld with 5356 wire.

I would guess that 1/8 should be more than sufficient for you. Treat it like wood and you’ll be fine. Rather than WD40 as a cutting lube, use a wax of some sort on the blade itself just before you cut it. You can also use Fast Orange (hand cleaner) in a pinch.

I’ve cut one inch and better aluminum with skilsaws lots, so the 1/4” and up needing to be CNC cut is completely untrue.
Thanks!

Aluminum can be cut much like wood. Chop saws, table saws, circular, jig etc. Doesn't sound like you need too much material. See if any local welding shops have some around to sell.
So true. My brother cut up Chevy S-10 wheels for his forge/ melting, using a 14" band saw. Blades don't last long tho.

I have a CNC plasma so no cutting with chopsaws.

Raincity sometimes you can find deals on Hypotherm manual handheld plasma torches. Very handy in any shop.

Raincity sometimes you can find deals on Hypotherm manual handheld plasma torches. Very handy in any shop.
Just used a $400 job on site as an excuse to buy a $1500 mag drill so it'd have to be a really good deal. At this rate I'll have all my metal fab tools paid off in about 20 years.

Ive got a dry cut, and a plasma. My most used is a portaband. I built a mitre attachment for it. Its quiet, cuts clean, and cuts square. I rarely use the plasma because of setup time, its a small shop. The dry cut I rarely use as well. Its loud and throws big angry chunks of steel.

Ive got a dry cut, and a plasma. My most used is a portaband. I built a mitre attachment for it. Its quiet, cuts clean, and cuts square. I rarely use the plasma because of setup time, its a small shop. The dry cut I rarely use as well. Its loud and throws big angry chunks of steel.
Got a portaband a while ago too. I leave it plugged in on the bench and it's used often. Haven't used the chop saw since I got it.

Back