What is the best credit card for collecting air miles?

Hey Big Bruce...I wish I could say I stand corrected.
Direct from the CRA
"Your employees do not have to include in their income the value of the rewards they received or enjoyed from the points, unless any of the following applies:

The points are converted to cash.
The plan or arrangement between you and the employee seems to be a form of additional remuneration.
The plan or arrangement is a form of tax avoidance.
If any of the conditions above are met, the employee has to declare the fair market value of any personal rewards he or she received on an income tax and benefit return.

That's true if the employee is using their personal card for business expenses with such expenses being reimbursed by the employer. CRA will not require the employee to report the use of the points accumulated through the business expenses as a taxable benefit.

But you had indicated that the card(s) you were using were controlled by the business, not the individual. The rules appear to be different in these cases:

"It should be noted that where an employer controls the
points (e.g., a company credit card), the employer will
continue to be required to report the fair market value of
any benefits received by the employee on the
employee’s T4 slip when the points are redeemed. "

I'm not a professional tax expert and would suggest you seek some advice from one to nail this issue down. It seems to me if you are using points accumulated on a credit card controlled by a business rather than your own individual card you may well be subject to tax on the use of the points accumulated on the business card.

per attached from alaska companion ticket is valid only on Alaska not partner airline

Discount Code Terms

Discount: Valid for one annual Companion Fare from $118 (USD) ($99 base fare plus taxes and fees from $19 depending on your Alaska Airlines flight itinerary) when traveling with another passenger on a paid airfare. Certificates issued after July 31, 2012 are valid for coach class only. Both passengers must be booked in the same itinerary, at the same fare, traveling together, and ticketed at the same time. Valid for round-trip or one-way travel. Multiple stopovers not allowed. Valid on published fares. Not applicable to Mileage Plan Award Reservations, Alaska Airlines Vacation packages, tour or contract fares.

Reservations & Ticketing: Valid for new ticket purchases through alaskaair.com or EasyBiz. The Companion Fare Discount Code is redeemed at time of ticketing and is void for future changes or purchases. Traveler and/or Purchaser name must match the name issued on the Discount Code. Credit card required for purchase.

Passengers: Valid for one Companion Fare when traveling with a second passenger on a paid fare, traveling together, and booked and ticketed at the same time in the same reservation.

Routes: Valid systemwide.

Advance Purchase: Per applicable fare rule.

Purchase By: Expiration date on Discount Code.

Blackout Dates: Per applicable fare rule.

Minimum & Maximum Stay: Per applicable fare rules.

Flights: Valid only on flights operated by Alaska Airlines and flights operated on behalf of Alaska Airlines by Sky West and Pen Air. Not valid on codeshare flights.

Taxes, Fees and Surcharges: Passenger is responsible for all applicable taxes, fees, and surcharges, including checked baggage fees.

Combinability: Not valid with any other discounts, including Discount Codes, My Account online discount, coupons, discount programs, or other arrangements.

Changes and Refunds: Changes and refunds are allowed per the applicable fare rule and may result in the forfeiture of the Discount Code.

Mileage Plan: Mileage Plan credit applies and upgrades are allowed.

Transferability: Discount Codes and tickets are not transferable. They may not be given to another individual, and may not be sold, bought, bartered, auctioned or collected in bulk. Any deemed by Alaska Airlines to have been distributed or acquired improperly will not be honored and traveler will be liable for payment of full fare.

Additional Terms: All rules of Alaska Airlines , alaskaair.com, and the applicable fare rules not mentioned within these terms and conditions apply.

Other: Lost or stolen Discount Codes or tickets cannot be replaced. Alaska Airlines has the final authority regarding redemption. Travel is subject to Alaska Airlines contract of carriage. Terms and conditions as written herein are final and cannot be changed by any statement or representation of any unauthorized person, including employees of Alaska Airlines or issuing organization. Other restrictions may apply and Alaska Airlines reserves the right to suspend or change this offer without notice.

Selecting the right airmile card (a) can it be used in conjunction with your present airline mileage program (b) when and where can you fly, upgrades...

I'd like to bring this thread back from the past as I am wondering if there are any 2014 opinions on this now. I was just forced to switch from my CIBC aerogold infinite Visa card to the TD Visa infinite and wasn't too happy - until I looked at the 2014 ratings for travel points cards:

http://www.rewardscanada.ca/topcc2014/

It appears this new "TD Aeroplan infinite Visa card" I have rates in first 1st place in the Airline Credit Card category. The Capitol One Aspire Mastercard rates 1st in the Travel Points Category.

2nd place in the Travel Points category is "BMO World Elite Mastercard"
2nd place in the Top Airline Credit Card is "WestJet RBC World Elite Mastercard"

Anyone have any great advice now in 2014
- what I don't like about the aeroplan miles I presently get is that they are Aircanada and some partners only ( not alot of airlines go where I need ) not transferable unless you pay $. Huge tax cost on airmile flights (that points can't cover) . If not booking flight way ahead, no direct flights available and long layovers.

Does anyone know anything about a card that provides BA miles ? Also what cards provide points for the most amount of choice ( multiple airlines)

I love Alaska's card, and fly mainly on Alaska. You can't beat Alaska if you fly between Victoria and Mexico!
Stosh

I've had the TD First Class Infinite card for many year -- something like 10. For us, it works out very well. The annual fee is high at $129 I believe, but we find we get more than that in value.

- Points are for ANY travel or vacation and includes flights, hotels, car rentals etc...
- travel insurance and car rental insurance is covered (travel medical, trip cancellation, lost baggage etc...)
- it also offers purchase security and extended warranty on items you buy (up to double the mfgr warranty) and if item is lost/stolen in 90ds they replace it

Generally we try to put ALL our household expenses and I put all my business on the card and rack up the points -- this year we have to take the family to Ontario for a wedding and the points paid pretty well 75% of the entire trip including the car and flights for 4. All the travel is booked online and is dead simple.

It's rated 4th in terms of travel points, but the insurance and protection is also a big bonus.

The BMO World Elite MasterCard offers 2% back for travel on all credit card purchase as well as a 30000 point welcome bonus - worth $300 in travel. HSBC gives their Premier Clients one for free; also the 30000 signing bonus too.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/

I have a client of mine who plays all of the travel cards. Every time he is sent a credit card offer, he enrolls, makes the minimum payments required and then cancels the card. He is now a Super-Elite Aeroplan member and only flies first class around the world. It's basically a hobby of his entire family to find the best deals and apply to all of the cards.

http://thepointsguy.com/beginners-guide/

Last edited by a moderator:
...yep we use our Gold Card as a backup...;)

I'd like to bring this thread back from the past as I am wondering if there are any 2014 opinions on this now. I was just forced to switch from my CIBC aerogold infinite Visa card to the TD Visa infinite and wasn't too happy - until I looked at the 2014 ratings for travel points cards:

http://www.rewardscanada.ca/topcc2014/

It appears this new "TD Aeroplan infinite Visa card" I have rates in first 1st place in the Airline Credit Card category. The Capitol One Aspire Mastercard rates 1st in the Travel Points Category.

2nd place in the Travel Points category is "BMO World Elite Mastercard"
2nd place in the Top Airline Credit Card is "WestJet RBC World Elite Mastercard"

Anyone have any great advice now in 2014
- what I don't like about the aeroplan miles I presently get is that they are Aircanada and some partners only ( not alot of airlines go where I need ) not transferable unless you pay $. Huge tax cost on airmile flights (that points can't cover) . If not booking flight way ahead, no direct flights available and long l

Does anyone know anything about a card that provides BA miles ? Also what cards provide points for the most amount of choice ( multiple airlines)

My CIBC card just got bumped over as well but it is just a secondary card.

My RBC Avion is my primary and twice a year we get notice that we can convert our Avion points to BA at 1.5 to 1. That is the main reason we still use Avion....and we use RBC largely just because we have both banked there for 25ish years.

Quick Edit.....apparently you can convert any time...the extra 1 AV to 1.5 BA must be just a semi annual occurrence. Usually in and about July or December if memory serves me correct.

https://www.rbcrewards.com/convert-points.html

Avion is being scammed by Air Canada, or it might the other way around. For international flights AC is allowed to break out the fuel surcharge from the base price. The result is a $2000 flight that *should* be fully covered by 100,000 points redeemed turns into an $1100 fare with a $900 surcharge. Avion fine print says rewards redemption only pays for base fare, so they want the original 100,000 points AND $900 cash to cover the fuel surch. Years of consumer complaints meant AC have been forced to do away with this outrageous arbitrary 80% fuel surch domestically but offshore they still get away with it. Because AC is the only carrier flying nonstop on this run and my time is super tight, I verrry reluctantly paid the $2K direct on AC and will save my points for north america only. I really didn't want to, because it just encourages this dirtbag policy, but there was little choice.

Just beware, read the fine print first if you're thinking of using a rewards card for international flight rewards, AC is not your friend.

Avion / BA conversion is a friend. We flew First to Europe 2 years ago and it was amazing....I chuckled at the people in Business. :p

Requested my dinner to be served over Iceland and it was.

I've always used the amex gold card. have close to 400,000 points now. (1 dollar spent equals one point) enough for 5 trips worldwide, or 16 trips anywhere in north america. or quite a few short haul trips... (15,000 points required) one thing i've noticed is they are always sending stuff (flyers with merchandise) to use your points with. if you notice that's a real scam.... you get much better value using the points for flights. otherwise your paying 2 to 3 times or maybe more for an item if comparing using the value of the points for flights. maybe i''ll have to look into some of these other cards but have always been pretty happy with amex. a few years ago I purchased $8,000 worth of solid surface countertops from a website and it was discovered it was a scam site. alot of people got taken but i was reinbursed since i used amex for the purchase. absolutely no questions asked and all it took was one phone call. was very impressed.... I know people that lost quite abit from that site only because they used a different means of payment.
years ago we had the aeroplan card and i had quite a few trips saved up seeing i used to travel alot with work. then aircanada went tits up and i lost everything pointswise (they discontinued the points program) before being bailed out. I was pissed (and still am) seeings i'm one that likes to save for a rainy day. swore i'd never fly air canada after that, but occassionally do. still do my best to try to get around them and use a different airline though if i can. that cut hard. not even a sorry... a bit nervous now with losing what i've accumulated but were going to start doing some overseas trips each winter now.... next trip hopefully new zealand or australia. I've (and my family) been to newzealand with work a couple times and love it there, but haven't been to australia yet.

Back