What is the best credit card for collecting air miles?

codfather

Crew Member
What is the best credit card for collecting air miles?

I'm thinking of changing from my PC Mastercard to a travel card of some sort. My card earns only points that I redeem a couple times a year for groceries. We will be going to Yuma a couple times a year now that I bought a place and would like to do it on air miles.

I'm looking for a card that earns maximum travel points per dollar and maybe some travel insurance benefits. I spent a bit of time on the internet but they all make it sound like they have the best plan but who knows.

If you could lend some clarity to this that would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Bank of America Alaska Airlines card. At sign up you receive enough miles for 1 free trip and every anniversery you get a $99 companion ticket which with tax is around $120 for a trip anywhere Alaska flies as long as you buy 1 ticket and it can be at the best price you can find.

CIBC's new Aventura. Check it out. Things are heating up in the cards business due to recent deal cut between TD and Aeroplan

Good to know about the BOA card!

I have always done RBC Avion and have been pretty happy. We generally use it for flying to Europe as twice a year usually they allow you to convert Avion Points to British Airways points at 1.5 or 2 to 1.

Also for when we have booked flying in North America I certainly do like the flexibility of airlines unlike Aeroplan.

The Alaska airlines card companion deal isn't for Mexico or Hawaii

We spent a few weeks on this recently and settled on the Scotiabank infinite momentum Visa....the key considerations, its all cash back meaning you aren't restricted to expedia, or air canada, or alaska, or whatever. Its yours to use however you want. It's visa, so you don't have the problem you have with the best rewards cards (ie american express) and being restricted where you can even use it. Then for us, wife does most shopping at superstore and we get 4% on EVERYTHING from there - it doesn't distinguish between groceries and clothing so its all full benefit (4% on all groceries is main perk). You also get 4% on gas, then 2% drugs and recurring (which mostly is just shaw as the other big utilities force you through a 3rd party system which offsets the benefit). Then 1% everything else. For 'us', it calced to around $650/year benefit (fees are $99/year then $30/year for companion).

Last edited by a moderator:
The only change I know of is they stopped letting you buy a 1st class ticket and then get a $99 companion in 1st class. Good for coach only now. I have used the companion for both Hiwaii and Mexico. Fee I believe is $85 per year or close to that.

yes the companion is legit for Hawaii - anywhere Alaska flies is good for your companion ticket - just did it about 6 months ago.

I just upgraded to the World Elite from Alaska Airlines which has some more benefits from the entry level Alaska cards - but overall, we have been very happy with the travel miles accumulated and other perks.

We live in Nanaimo so we often fly out of Victoria on Horizon/Alaska and through Seattle on our journeys.

I've been using Alaska for business travel for years, collecting points, using the credit card and companion fares is an Excellant way to go. Plus, Alaska has some great partner airlines like Delta, KLM, etc. that help you get your mileage points up quicker.
Stosh

x2 on Avion. Find a seat on any flight and book it. No black-outs. 1$=1 point. Not sure what the sign up bonus is but should be competitive.

x2 on Avion. Find a seat on any flight and book it. No black-outs. .

SO much easier with Avion than many. I still collect Aeroplan miles as I fly Air Canada for work most often, so it makes sense that they are going to add up regardless....just not through my credit card spending. Anyhow....trying to book a flight on Avion is a 10 times more pleasant experience than trying with Aeroplan....and less grey hairs when it's all said and done.

Pippen is right, booking airline tickets is seamless, any airline anytime as long as there is a seat on the plane. Another advantage is that if you have a business RBC Avion or multiple cards for employees then all points accumulated on all cards are directed onto your personal card, a nice non taxable perk.

Pippen is right, booking airline tickets is seamless, any airline anytime as long as there is a seat on the plane. Another advantage is that if you have a business RBC Avion or multiple cards for employees then all points accumulated on all cards are directed onto your personal card, a nice non taxable perk.

Benefits derived from points accumulated through employment ARE considered a taxable benefit. The value of flights obtained through the use of such points must be declared as taxable benefits.

Alaska, the only way to go for me. Have had this card for many years now. Love the companion fare, good anywhere Alaska flies plus their partner airlines. Just booked a trip to NYC with the wife. Use the companion ticket for this trip, not even flying on a Alaska plane. Flying AA there and Delta on the way home.

Hey Big Bruce...I wish I could say I stand corrected.
Direct from the CRA
"Your employees do not have to include in their income the value of the rewards they received or enjoyed from the points, unless any of the following applies:

The points are converted to cash.
The plan or arrangement between you and the employee seems to be a form of additional remuneration.
The plan or arrangement is a form of tax avoidance.
If any of the conditions above are met, the employee has to declare the fair market value of any personal rewards he or she received on an income tax and benefit return.

Back