What do you think of this boat design?

Degree of Freedom

I'm searching for a boat in the US. This is an Aquasport 21' walk-around. The boat is gorgeous...as I was scrolling through the pictures, I was getting a little turned on[:I]...then I got to this picture. I've seen a few other self-bailing designs like this (ChrisCraft has built a few)...but it looks a little scary to me.
Any educated opinions would be greatly appreciated.

1787037_7_thumb1.jpg

Grady and Robalo have a few models that have the same open back. My buddy with the robalo has a moulded plate that fits in and then he puts a 120 litre cooler in front of it with a cusion for added seating. The plate comes out when the motor tilts up for trailering etc. They are still floating, so they can't be too bad.[:p]

I know what you mean when I was looking for boats in the states. I almost bought one but I was scared to be out at the bank and have a big wave come crashing in even though it is self bailing if you get 15 gallons of water in the butt end that's 150 pounds at the very back and if it dosn't run out super fast enough you could get more in or by that time your big motor flooded so I decide not to for those reasons

not to mention you could get very wet and cold if you had a ton of water flowing in and out. Not so bad if its warm florida water I guess.

My Livingston is an American type design , has the same features of the self baler , after almost having the boat sink on me tied to the dock the self balers were plugged up and the hoses unclamped and now drain straight into the bilge , added an extra pump (2x1000 gph) with a float switch and no problems since.

AL

Hey Paul
I don't know the kind of conditions you guys fish in but if waves came in the boat that way, I think I wouldn't be out fishing in the first place:D
Never been on a boat of that design but I'm thinking it would be safer than most since water could rush out a lot faster than say a self bailing with scuppers or even a non self bailing. That is in the event of digging into some standing wave or sumtin'
vic
quote:Originally posted by Paul Burak

I know what you mean when I was looking for boats in the states. I almost bought one but I was scared to be out at the bank and have a big wave come crashing in even though it is self bailing if you get 15 gallons of water in the butt end that's 150 pounds at the very back and if it dosn't run out super fast enough you could get more in or by that time your big motor flooded so I decide not to for those reasons

I have a 21' Aquasport of that design and I love it! I have not had a problem with water splashing up onto the deck. Great boat for the West Coast I think. :D

Spring Action <((---(

Back