What do you know about the F100 hp Yamaha?

chris73

Hey guys, I have been offered a 100hp Yammi, 11 years old, ~400 hours, checked by a mechanic. I originally wanted a 90hp four stroke for my 17.5' Campion and not older than 5 years. Not that easy to find it seems - at least for the price range I am looking for (<$6k). This one fits the budget well but I have a few hesitations:

1) it's 11 years old and was put together from 2 busted motors
2) it's seemingly discontinued model - can you still get parts for a 100hp now?
3) it's not the fuel injected but the carburated version.

What do you know or think?

Chris,call deans marine in Duncan.He did my inspection on my F-150. Wen I was there a guy came in to talk to him. Deans has been servicing his F-100 and he said it has Thousands upon thousands of hours on it. I know sounds hard to believe but this came from the owner and chief mechanic of Deans Marine.(Dean him self I assume) Anyway give him a call he will know the motor I speak of. I can not remember how many hours it was but it was so many it should have been a commercial to advertise the Yamaha.

Let me know what he said if you call him.

Cheers Ray.

Chris, I had his # in my phone here it is.

Dean's Marine:250-748-0829

Yami F100

I had exactly that type of motor. Mine was a model year 2000. Ran flawlessly. Took it on my 18' Alum out to Switfsure Bank on the west coast many times. ( I did have a kicker too ) I sold it running very well with over 900 hours. Changed oil and plugs per manual and impeller once, zincs as required. Great motor, run smooth started very easily. No complaints here. I think the 115 is same block etc with fuel injection. Easy to service. My experience was good.

2 busted motors worth 6 grand!!!!!!!they "broke" for a reason enough said......im sure there is better deals then that around

I had pretty good success with the 2000 F100. I owned three of them and I still have one that is running great. The pair that finally packed it in had over 10,000 hours on them and the one that is still running is two seasons past that. I know a few others that have had similar results with the F115. All of these engines I bought as lease returns and I believe they came from the Charlottes way back when. I used them with Jets so they basically running 7-8 hours a day. I had the odd Base gasket go, a few head gaskets, etc but no majors until they both went within a month of each other. If you do end up with them I have 2 complete top ends that are broken on the inside but 100% beyond that.

Pretty simple motors to work on compared to the fuel injected ones.

If you can get the mechanic to do a leak down and a compression test and it looks good, i wouldn't hesitate to buy the F100 you are looking at.

warning bells go off when some one tells me an 11 year old motor has 400 hrs on it and it comes from 2 busted motors.(not saying there not out there but..)
1 what was broken/ replaced that required 2 busted motors and who did the work
2 most non efi motors don't have a cpu that records engine hours to prove the 400hrs
3 has the oil (gear and engine) just been changed better if it hasn't you can tell alot from old oils
4 mechanic checked it out what was the compression
5 don't be surprised if it needs repairs once you put it on you boat and try it at high speed (carbs, coils) somethings won't show in a test tank at low rpm

good luck. personally i wouldn't spend more than 4 on it and thats if everything checked out.

Thanks combover. Good advice. Something gave in the gearcase and they put in a lower unit from another (same) motor. It's has been done by a regarded mechanic. True, 400 hours is a guess without proof. I got to take my mechanic's word that the motor shows like 400 hours and not 4000. Will ask about the oil and hope to get a honest answer. Will get the compression checked. It will basically be rebuilt and checked by a good mechanic who I can trust. Your price range is the same as mine. Will come with a 60 day warranty and I will run it hard during that period to see if something acts up. Thanks!

If it works out you owe me finders fee of one icy cold pint next time I see you chris.
If it does not work out... not my fault! LOL

Tips

Nope, I have checked that route out spring time. Camp returns start at $6k plus, plus tax plus controls, plus prop, you are looking at min. $8k.
I put a deposit on a F100, tips I may owe you a beer! lol

Back