Mechanic to do a sea trial in cowichan bay

fish brain

Crew Member
Hi Guys,
I have an older merc (1996) that has been having some issues for a couple of years. I have had it to several different mechanics, and no one has fixed it yet. I think it's electrical. The last mechanic I had it to was Issac at Coastal Outboards in Duncan. The boat runs perfectly in the yard, but not under power. Issac said he would like to sea trial the boat, but does not have the time to do it. does anyone know of anyone who #1 has experience with a 23 year old two stroke motor and #2 is willing to do a sea trial

Hi Guys,
I have an older merc (1996) that has been having some issues for a couple of years. I have had it to several different mechanics, and no one has fixed it yet. I think it's electrical. The last mechanic I had it to was Issac at Coastal Outboards in Duncan. The boat runs perfectly in the yard, but not under power. Issac said he would like to sea trial the boat, but does not have the time to do it. does anyone know of anyone who #1 has experience with a 23 year old two stroke motor and #2 is willing to do a sea trial
I might know a guy. I’ll talk to him and pm his details if he’s interested.

What are the symptoms under load? Missing resulting in lack of power?

When I put the throttle down it boggs out. I have rebuilt the carbs, even changed them out completely for a different set. No difference. I did have one coil that was not up to snuff, but no change in the problem after changing it. If I am very careful I can, after a while feather the throttle and it will get past the bog down and take off and run perfectly until I drop off plane, then the problem starts again

Check your primer bulb? They can collapse and starve your fuel. Only shows up under heavy load. I've had new ones out of the box no good too.
Fuel filter?

Check your primer bulb? They can collapse and starve your fuel. Only shows up under heavy load. I've had new ones out of the box no good too.
Fuel filter?

How about trying an alternate fuel system? Is the engine plumbed into the fixed tank in the boat? It sounds more like fuel starvation than spark to me anyway. Can you confirm the fuel lines aren't collapsing under pressure?

fuel supply possibly, as mentioned , disconnect right at the intake, by pass everything you can, connect at fuel pump if possible. connect a reliable tank and hose. I had a Honda 225 that would mid starve because a 3" piece of fuel supply had gone soft. this after spending monies everywhere to figure it out. there was a tight bend between the main connect and secondary filter that would collapse.

Fuel filter?
I replaced it twice, it's not that
thanks for the suggestion though.

How about trying an alternate fuel system? Is the engine plumbed into the fixed tank in the boat? It sounds more like fuel starvation than spark to me anyway. Can you confirm the fuel lines aren't collapsing under pressure?
Yes I have run the boat on a portable tank, not that.

Have you changed the power pack yet? Also instead of a sea trial can you find a shop with a dyno?
I'm thinking it must be something like this or the stator. I have had it to several shops in the Cowichan Valley. Some mechanics don't want to work on it due to it's age and the others dont want to sea trial it. No one has mentioned a dyno. I have been watching for a cheap parts motor so I can just start swapping out parts, but I dont want to put too much money into it in case that is not the problem. I am fairly competent when it comes to basic mechanics, but taking the ohm meter to the electrical system seems daunting.

Hi Guys,

Jamie South. I would take it to him. If you go into mill bay auto parts they have his contact number.

Jamie was the first guy I had look at it. If I remember correctly he is one of the guys that said it was too old

I run a 1997 Yamaha and I had gremlins with loss of power sporadically. I have spare parts motors so started changing coils which worked but the problem kept coming back. Turned out it was corrosion in the spark plug caps (boots) between the wires and the caps. Also in the caps themselves where you can't see it. I was probably switching out good coils, not realizing it was the boots. If they have never been changed on your motor I would start there. They are over 20 years old and live around a salt water environment.

Have you run it in the dark with the cowl off to see if there are any cracks in the hot wires? I've had to do this with cars that have coil packs and it works when there have been weird spark issues. Also double down on every ground you can find.

does the bog change if you hit the choke while it is happening? once past the bog and on plane do you have full power

had the same issue with a johnson two stroke 115, replaced the reeds, power pack, coils, spark plugs and leeds Has good compression.

The best 4 different mechanics could come up with is it probably has a grounding issue/corrosion somewhere and that was after paying them for all the work listed above.

Basically gave up after spending way more money on it then i should have.

Putting on a new motor this fall.

Have you run it in the dark with the cowl off to see if there are any cracks in the hot wires? I've had to do this with cars that have coil packs and it works when there have been weird spark issues. Also double down on every ground you can find.
I have not done that, I will give it a try. Would a spark / ignition problem not show up as hard to get up on plane, not like the motor is flooding out?

does the bog change if you hit the choke while it is happening? once past the bog and on plane do you have full power
I have not hit the choke, as I understand that on my engine it does not affect airflow, but gives an extra squirt of fuel, and the problem seems to be like it's flooding. If I can get past it the motor has tons of power.

had the same issue with a johnson two stroke 115, replaced the reeds, power pack, coils, spark plugs and leeds Has good compression.

The best 4 different mechanics could come up with is it probably has a grounding issue/corrosion somewhere and that was after paying them for all the work listed above.

Basically gave up after spending way more money on it then i should have.

Putting on a new motor this fall.
I have been through exactly the same thing and spent more than a thousand dollars on mechanics. I have shopped for new motors as also. I just seems that the motor is strong, has good compression, new reeds, rebuilt carbs, a new coil. It seems a shame to chuck it out if there is really nothing wrong with it. Plus I am thrifty, so there is that too.

Back