what do you guys think?

nedarb2

i know i know, very original design. Came across a contact which has a metal cnc who can build this for me so its my second winter time project along with the boat. going to try and get my model tweaked out and a prototype body made up. once im happy with that ill source cork and springs and bearings and the rest of the internals and see if i can get a working reel together

34spj6q.jpg

I think it will only be cool if you build it out of Titanium.

Bling Bling!

thanks guys.

any suggestions on the handles to use? i personally like the rubber flat ones like the shimanos are using.
also, for the drab knob - metal or rubber?

The CNC machine you are likely using can cut whatever custom handles you want. The only thing limiting with a CNC machine is your imagination. Maybe knurled aluminum handles and a knurled aluminum drag knob.

I would love to try a similar project myself...The only problem is I have all manual equipment at the shop...still living in the 60's with some of the machines! If your guy is willing to make the program to build you this reel, supply him with an extra 30" of aluminum bar stock and have him turn out 4 reels :) shweeet project Nedarb. Jealous!

thanks for the advice high five, ill check into hanson.

Spent about 15 hours in the last 2 days in this design. been through 4 or 5 re-designs of the drag system and now i think ive got it set. Ordered 10 expensive SS bearings @ 150$ this evening for the reel, and have emailed about a dozen companies regarding friction washers. still need to look into the one way drag rachet system, and of course, one loud a$$ clicker (actually going to make it adjustable for user preference).

also spent a couple hours reading reviews on trophys, amundson, RST, and islanders moochers. Taken the good things into account (minus a free-spool feature due to complexity in a first design) and also done my version on fixing the negative points on the reviews (with some designs not shown in the screen shots for now :D). i work with a guy who does metal work machining out of his house as a side business so hes on board for helping me atleast get a prototype done - hes got cncs and lathes and all the goodies. Once an acceptable design is hammered out, ill work on making it prettier and getting rid of the sharp edges and all that.

anyone have ideas or suggestions on how to properly attach the center spindle to the frame?

Assembly.jpgoverview.jpg

Here is another thing I was screwing around with remember my post on fish cleaning station.....LOL May do this one since I have some time now... Basiucally the thing that always sucks about making stuff is that if it is a prototype you get screwed on cost...

Weirdest looking reel I have ever seen.....

Nedarb2 send me details of what your buddy can do. I am always looking for someone to do prototyping. I have many clients that ask for this from time to time. I only send it to Vancouver as it tough to find a good guys locally on the island.

ill let you know once i get into his shop. i know he makes telescope parts for space observatories and has done stuff for islander and other precision machine companies.

That outside ring will never touch anything its covered by the spool. Machining is no problem as long as you do it in the right steps.

I built one for my 4th year engineering project, did the prototype on all manual lathes and milling machines. There is a lot more to it than meets the eye. Cool project but super time intensive .

Back