What do you Guy's think 2000 2100 Striper

Captain PartyMarty

Crew Member
Hi guy's, I wanted to get your opinion on this this boat? Does anybody have one that can comment on performance. I did some research and from what I read the those Johnson's are terible on fuel. any truth to that? What do you think of the price?

http://victoria.en.craigslist.ca/boa/3482688682.html

I found a comparible boat in that was sold in bellingham for much less but with less equipment

http://www.bellinghamboatland.com/details.php?ID=283

If I wanted to upgrade the power say to an E-tec or yammi, what do you think the market value is for the Johnson?

Actually those motors are really good on fuel HOWEVER they are the original Ficht version of direct injection. These motors had a very bad reputation for failures. Johnson and Evinrude make great 2-stroke motors but you want one that is pre-1998 or 2003 and newer.

Of course these motors could be exceptions not all the Fichts failed and some are still running strong after all these years.

Didn't the ficht motors sink Johnson/evenrude?

That’s what I was just reading about. The warranty issues on these motors helped take them down. So I am going to say hands off as they apparently have serious issues with the lowers as well. I will keep my eye on the ad maybe after a few months the seller might be open to a low ball. I really like the lines and layout of the hull

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the rear deck space better on those year of hulls compared to mine.(2008) I have been told that the hull design pre 2002ish is a bit of a pounder? I do know a guy with a 1999 and he has the bow weighted heavily to help it out. He had that motor on it when he bought it used and had none stop troubles with it and quickly upgraded it. Not to say all of them are duds......just telling what I know. The weight in the front did improve the ride according to him as well? All in all its a great mid size boat that can do most things the average sporty wants to do......IMO. Another thing to consider as well is the type of top it has? I opted for a soft top and then installed an arch later.......so the 150Hp is fine. However if you get a hardtop style then you will want more than the 150.....it does make a difference. They will tell you that at any dealership if you were to buy new. :cool:

Thanks for the tips guy's

@ReelSlim, Thanks for the information about the ride, I found some threads on the Hull truth which mentioned stability issues while at cruise with a kicker. But most agree that they can be corrected with proper use of the trim tabs. Anyway Interesting stuff

I also found mention that there where models made in 1999 to 2001 with non ficht motors which are apparently decent but heavy on fuel. Anybody know how to tell the difference ficht/non-ficht? I also did some more research in terms prices in the states, due to the motors the prices on these boats are pretty depressed. Most are going for around 12K, I even saw one that was sold for 9600. Might be worth while asking if he would sell hull and motor separately

The non-ficht motors have carburetors. The cowling for ficht motors usually say "Ficht RAM" or RAM injection. The non ficht motors are really good motors. They are essentially the same design from 1996-2001.

Do some research...it may not be Ficht...there's a ton of info on the net on these engines.

The motor's 12 years old...if it was a problem Ficht it would have blown up long ago, so if it is a ficht its either a 'good' engine or had the necessary upgrades.
That being said...it's still a 12 year old 2 stroke and the the price should reflect it...that price looks too high.

PartyMarty, My buddy ending up buying that boat you posted from Bellinghamboatland. Put a new leg on it right away and just last weekend the motor is done. I really like the boat great looking and fun to fish out of. The only negative I found was he stored his prawn traps on his hard top and he went up to grab them and he needed a hand so I jumped up and helped our other buddy was putting the prawn puller on so we were all on the same side of the boat with 2 of us standing on the walkaround it felt like we were going over it was so close I almost jumped. We did drink a few beers that day so don't know how close it really was but it sure felt close to going over.

Oh yeah and before his latest motor issue I bet you he was into that boat for another 10k after he got it from bellinghamboatland it needed canvas, all new wiring (might have sunk at one point) kicker. So a boat all ready to go might be worth the extra funds.

The biggest differnce I see between the two boats is the hard top. That alone is worth almost as much as the rest of the features on the Victoria boat. Off all the features I like the most the hard top is the one that changes the character of the boat more than anything else. And it really is the platform to which most additional features are attached.

I own a 2000 - Striper 2300. This was the first of the "Euro-transom" hull designs with a higher freeboard on the smaller hulls (23' and 21'). Those 2100's are the original hull with a lower freeboard and is completely different to the 2101 which (co-incidentally) came out in 2001.

All of the stripers are known for pretty solid hulls, moderate components for finsh and bad wiring. All of this is true for my boat. I would consider it a mid-quality, mid-priced boat with alot of upside if you are prepared to do a few modifications and tailor rthe boat to your requirements. Clearly that is what has been done on the Victoria Striper 2100 you are looking at.

If it was my money and I had to choose between the two boats, I would chase the Bellingham boat, get the hard top and then use the savings to get the additional features that YOU want, and not ones already attached that you may never use. There is just NO substitute for having that hard top. After all we DO live on the WET coast ;-)

Having said that, with leftcoast's revelations, I would have had a mehcanical inspection that would hopefully identified the leg issue, seen that the wiring was shot, identified that it still needed $3000 for canvas, and probably stayed away from the Bellingham boat. :cool:

boat, gear, trailer= 22,500.00 tops. motor is worth nothing the 150 is underpowered IMO... boat needs 200HP and tabs

Do some research...it may not be Ficht...there's a ton of info on the net on these engines.

The motor's 12 years old...if it was a problem Ficht it would have blown up long ago, so if it is a ficht its either a 'good' engine or had the necessary upgrades.
That being said...it's still a 12 year old 2 stroke and the the price should reflect it...that price looks too high.

Both of those motors are definitely Ficht injection. There were no other direct injection motors from Johnson/Evinrude prior to 2003.

I run a 2000 Striper Center Consul, blew up the original 175 Evinrude twice in the first 2 years. Switched to a Honda 200hp, never been happier. Good all around hull, not the best but good value. I run 25 miles off shore a few times a year when the weather permits, without any problems. The 2000 models have more room in the squared off stern than newer models. One thing to note is the 200 was much heavier and lowered the stern enough to allow some water coming back in through the scuppers. I use plugs in the scuppers to keep the boat dry when not under way.
Stosh

The ficht would scare me away. Price the boat without power as others have said. Even if it is in top running condition its 12 years old. Just think how much marine fuel injection has improved from 12 years ago.

boat, gear, trailer= 22,500.00 tops. motor is worth nothing the 150 is underpowered IMO... boat needs 200HP and tabs

The boat does have tabs but if your talking about a 200Hp fourstroke then you will probably want to change to the flapper style scuppers to the pingpong style because the butt on the boat will ALWAYS be below the waterline. A good friend has an 05 with a 200 Yamaha and has had more than one issue with filling the boat up with water. But in all fairness he isn't really a boat upkeep sort of fisherman...at all! lol I test drove my 08 with the 225 and the 150 before buying mine. Far better hole shot with the 150 as the 225 bogged down a bit and only about 2.5 MPH different in top end. Add in the difference in fuel consumption and initial cost of the larger motor I wouldn't worry about the 150 unless it has a hardtop or most of your days are spent with a full boatload of buddies. I fully intended on getting the 225 until I test drove it at the dealer. Lots of good points to consider but once you know what you are going to use the boat for mostly then it will narrow down your choices. Good Luck!

Here is shot of my budddies boat......sorry Barrie! As you can see the rear scupper is about 3 inches under water.......

Attachments

• 101.jpg
    101.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 146
Back