What Do You Eat When You're Out Fishing?

6 pack of Lucky on board for all VI trips. I don't drink the swill, I just have it on board for good luck. Eventually my freeloading friends will consume it. I'll stick with a nice Stella or a Rickards Red.

You gotta try some of our good island brews......
Phillips Blue Buck and Slip Stream, Saltspring Island Ales, VI Brewery Seadog Ale, Bowen Island Honey Brown.

A case of salmon bellys goes good with fishing. Lucky is king on the island. I like microbrews but usually get those in bottles not so easy to pack for fishing.

I take peanut butter and JAM sandwichs, bag of chips, box of cookies and a bag of carrots, gatrorade. Mabey some fruit if Im feeling fancy ;)

(I'm limited to one or two being the skipper and usually don't have any until we hit port).

cause drinking and driving is way safer than drinking and boating

Big boat has a full galley and we use it. Last day our we had a casserole followed by a freshly baked apple crisp. On the flow I take sandwiches etc. Also like to pack a thermos of soup and a single burner on those cold winter days.

Left-over pizza! Fresh cut fruit. Cheese/crackers/meat, smoked salmon is a must, chocolate cake is yummy and it is an old seafarers trick to calm seasickness. Bevvys usually consist of H20, juice, or pop, not really a big fan of alcohol when operating motorized transportation, plus I personally don't feel comfortable being on the water while being tipsy, or having to rely on a tipsy fishing partner to make good decisions if the **** hits the fan out on the water. (Most guys are fairly responsible when it comes to this, I know, but you do see some that get right bent out there, just not for me.)

If one has a stove; take a skillet, a pot, butter, spices, and lots of garlic. Fresh bottom-fish fillets, Fresh crab, fresh bugs (prawns) Mmmmmmm-good.

FH

I have never eaten so well-Striper Sniper seems to be on some kind of no eat plan when he's at home but on the boat -well that food doesn't count-so we get Real Tortiere, Vacuum packed ribs, anything he can conjure up that he hasn't had in awhile and of course all surrounded with copious amounts of butter. A heart Surgeons dream. Rogeahs deal is breakfast so we always have pre-cooked bacon-several cheeses -muffins-eggs etc etc. Plus fresh fish fried in butter-of course. When I get home I'm stuffed and am embaressed to say I have put on weight and it isn't because of the beer!!! Gone are the days of sandwhiches and cold chicken which has to last for 3-4 days. Don't miss it at all, at all. LOL

You gotta try some of our good island brews......
Phillips Blue Buck and Slip Stream, Saltspring Island Ales, VI Brewery Seadog Ale, Bowen Island Honey Brown.
And I enjoy those Dave. Actually I don't really mind Lucky and have been known to tip them back as long as they're damn cold. But I prefer a brew that .... well..... that a little more care has been taken in quality control and brewing.

I have to wait until my day is done before I crack open a beer. Usually have one while I'm cleaning fish. (hopefully) I can honestly say I've never drank a "Lucky" ever. That just occurred to me as I was reading a few posts here. I usually buy Pipers or Stella and always bottles regardless of storage issues. I hate the taste of canned beers. Free canned beer is tolerable...LOL

Among having sandwiches, beef jerky and other snacks on board.......this has ALWAYS been the "good luck" snack while fishing and it's rare to not find a bag on the boat. And "any old" cheezies won't do....they must be Hawkins.

If things slow down we usually sacrifice a few to the fish gods. ;)

newbag1.jpg

That is how Lucky brew was named. You are lucky if the first beer tastes the same as the last.

Beacon, scrambled eggs, toast and coffee, cooked by my fishing partner on the boat, on the BBQ. Can't get any better then that! ............BB

at start of season i buy a few cans of weiners and beans small cans are best for those days when fishing is to good to go to a gourmey cafe

Boiled eggs and barley sandwiches.. Fresh sashimi.. Hali cheek or salmon belly. Keep they soya and wasabi on board!!

Jamon serrano, Shopshire and Parmigianino cheese, a French loaf, low sodium roasted almonds and a good full bodied Rioja. I'll also take a few Stella’s or Lucky's for hot days. Can you buy High Test still??

(I'm limited to one or two being the skipper and usually don't have any until we hit port).

cause drinking and driving is way safer than drinking and boating

Good point spring time and I should have been more specific. I don't have to drive anywhere after I'm back in port.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jamon serrano, Shopshire and Parmigianino cheese, a French loaf, low sodium roasted almonds and a good full bodied Rioja. ?

With a spread like that........is this what you wear while fishing? Sounds very "sophisticated" and "refined". ;) ;)

sweater.jpg

With a spread like that........is this what you wear while fishing? Sounds very "sophisticated" and "refined". ;) ;)

sweater.jpg

Wasn't that what you were wearing on your Yaw-ting trip the other day Pip?

Wasn't that what you were wearing on your Yaw-ting trip the other day Pip?

Hahahaha......NO.....what goes on Facebook STAYS on Facebook!!! :eek: "Yaw-Ting" is meant to be "civilized"!!!

It was also "refined" crabbing.....showing them a little bit of respect as well as the Commodore!!! ;)

IMG_1887.jpg

"Biff, Tad, Muffy.....Fabulous to see you all... What say we toddle on down to the club for a quick game of tenny....?"

Pips, fishing should be where man does battle with nature, but, has all the advantages of the finest of gastronomic/culinary delights and only the best of libations......It should also include......... the "Pièce de résistance" a beautiful woman. BTW, pink is one of my fav colors. Not sure about that aqua though....

Back