What do you drive???

I pull with a 2003 Ford Excursion with the big block diesel. Good fuel economy (chipped and a few other after market mods) and pulls like there is no tomorrow. I've got 122,000 on her and looking forward to the next 122,000. I have had zero problems (gotta find some wood to knock on) but it is a little hard on the brake rotors. They have to be turned about every 40,000 miles. It's a heavy rig.

I pull with a 2003 Ford Excursion with the big block diesel. Good fuel economy (chipped and a few other after market mods) and pulls like there is no tomorrow. I've got 122,000 on her and looking forward to the next 122,000. I have had zero problems (gotta find some wood to knock on) but it is a little hard on the brake rotors. They have to be turned about every 40,000 miles. It's a heavy rig.

Well yesterday, after going for a drive I pulled into my driveway, and noticed a bunch of white smoke out of my exhaust. Did some research and apparently I've just blown my oil cooler! Anyone know any mechanics in and around Nanaimo?

Take only what you need.

Bump..

Does anyone know anyone who can do an oil cooler and egr cooler? 6.0 L Diesel. Apparently I didn't touch wood when I said I have had no problems with my Ford!![xx(]

Take only what you need.

Just a thought FA the 6.0 is known for head gaskets and I have not heard about this trouble with the oil cooler.

IMG_1445.jpg

I thought of that first, then I found a forum on Ford trucks and found out this kind of info..

quote:Hey all, thought I would start a new thread so everyone could read it and give their opinion. My truck is in the shop for a flute noise coming out of the degas cap. They couldn't find anything wrong with the egr cooler so they pulled heads. They also found nothing wrong with the head surfaces, block deck or head gaskets, no failures! What is going on here? They will use the heads again cause the measured up fine.

quote:mine was loosing coolant, pressure in the degas bottle. They did egr cooler and headgaskets. AFTER 2 more Egr coolers, they changed the oil cooler. No more problems. Have the oil cooler changed. They said they are clogging up on the coolant side, restricting flow. The oil temp boils the coolant, creating steam and the steam then melts the solder in the egr cooler, wiping that out. 6 trips to dealer to figure it out.

These guys and me are having the same problems. I heard that the headgaskets hardly ever go unless you chip it, which I have never done.

Take only what you need.

Yes when steam gets involved it can create problems. In my line of work we have cracked pump casings that weigh 4 times what your truck weighs. This was steam caused by cavitation!
Hope you get your problem fixed by the manufacturer.:D

IMG_1445.jpg

quote:Hope you get your problem fixed by the manufacturer.

Many of these trucks and most that have had a chip in them have these problems under 100K, while it is still under warrenty. Mine has 150 K now and I never had these problems before because I baby my truck big time. I guess it is something that all 350 owners are going to have to go through, just don't baby your truck I guess? Drive it like you stole it... Then if it breaks it under warrenty you will get it fixed for free. But don't take it easy on your truck or you will be paying for major repairs out of your own pocket. Go figure!

Take only what you need.

As I said before, if it has tits or wheels your gonna have trouble sooner or later. Your best bet is a reputable dealer. You will be backed up during these trials.[8D]

IMG_1445.jpg

Definitely look to the mainland for a vehicle.My 2002 f-150 with the 4.6l works fine with my 19' Thundercraft.Cost me less than 5 G's.Have a look at www.autofleet.biz.They're just outside Richmond

Hooch

quote:Originally posted by Sitkaspruce

The wife and I are looking for a New/Newer truck to pull the boat with. The old Toyota (92) has just about died, she will be good for hunting and 4x4ing, but not for pulling the boat.

What do you drive and pass on any pro/cons about your truck, or maybe car[:0];).

Also any suggestions on where to buy, Island or lower mainland.

The boat is a 18" Hewescraft, ~ weight will be around 3800 lbs

Cheers

SS

Fishing08018-1.jpg

your tow weight is low - most if not all V8 1/2 tons can do that plus I'm sure the 6cyl should be fine - just research the tow ratings. Some say to go to 80-90% of the listed tow rating

personally I will be going to 100% of the rating

Anyways If it was me I would look at a mid sized truck/suv IF your main usage is commuting and yo utow sometimes and you are wanting better non towing fuel economy.

If you are not particulary concerned about fuel economy and like a V8 - then any of the 1/2 ton trucks or suvs should be just fine.

The thing is with the 6L V8s and larger - they get almost identical fuel economy towing or not.

We have an 02 Yukon XL with the 5.3 - gets better economy than the old 92 350 suburban we had we have a 18.5 bayliner with a 4.3 IO - 3000 lbs and a travel trailer (loaded about 5,500-6000 lbs)
the old suburban towed both like a champ but we have not towed with the 02 yukon yet

Anyways choose what you like based upon your towing req and other usage of the vehicle

I'd recomend a newer V6 toyota or nissan 4X4 in either the truck or suv style for your needs just check the towing capacity

Island Boy through and through

Thanks for all the input

We have settled on an 05-07 Chev/GMC 1500 Crew cab w/ a 5.3. We have narrowed it down to about 7 trucks between the Island and Mainland. We be starting the wheeling and dealing this weekend....Should be fun:D:)

We already have a Honda CRV for commuting, so this will be the fishing/tow boat....and maybe the odd hunting trip truck (already have a toyota for hunting)

again thanks for the input

Cheers

SS

Fishing08018-1.jpg

Just bought yesterday,04 F-350 XLT 4 door 4x4..... private buy all the paper work for everything.....nicer than than new one I looked at yesterday.......towing my 27 Seasport Seamaster....11000lbs.. my Big block Gas was killing me, and too small of a truck[8D]

quote:04' F350 Diesel.

CANCELL THAT!!!
IT'S BROKEN DOWN DUE TO OIL COOLER FAILURE AT 138K ($1400.00 repair.)
Someone obviously forgot to tell me to touch wood!! Now I know All about 6.0 L Power Stroke Diesel Headaches!!
Now driving Chev 3/4 Ton.

Anyone Want to buy a FORD???

Take only what you need.

FA do they have to take the cab off to fix the oil cooler? The price sounds steep.
GLG

No no cab off, its $508 for the oil cooler, another $478 for the EGR cooler which the oil cooler takes out, then the rest for labor.

Take only what you need.

Man U guys have me scared about my new to me truck.........It checked out great and have all the dealer records......maybe I should hang on to my 78 ford x ford... with a 429...Pulls like crazy from pump to pump[V]

I fixed the problem for now.. I got a chev

Take only what you need.

Thats a cheap reapair if thats the only thing that went wrong since it has 138k on it do you think every thing last forever??????
It doesnt matter if its chev,ford or dodge they ALL break down and ALL parts are expensive every truck has its flaws its part of general matenance.

Wolf

I will fix it... then sell it. I'm looking for a truck with a dump.

Take only what you need.

Back