What Did You Do To Your Boat This Week?

Installed a NMEA 2000 network to get my Suzuki DF250 information onto my Lowrance HDS Live display. Fairly easy install but had to get the proper Suzuki SMIS Interface cable software version and also needed the SDS to SMIS adapter. It’s pretty cool to have the digital rpm, fuel flow, temperature, hours etc on the screen to fine tune cruise speed and fuel burn. I just ordered a shorter NMEA cable to eliminate one of the big loops off the backbone
Nice. I had a quote of 1k for a single mercury gauge that although does adjust trolling rpm isn't as advanced as what you are getting. I didn't even bother to get a quote on the mercury interface.

What size Hds screen or screens are you running? I run a 7&9, and I can move the 7 to the stern when trolling. Be great to have all that info!

Nice. I had a quote of 1k for a single mercury gauge that although does adjust trolling rpm isn't as advanced as what you are getting. I didn't even bother to get a quote on the mercury interface.

What size Hds screen or screens are you running? I run a 7&9, and I can move the 7 to the stern when trolling. Be great to have all that info!
I have a single HDS 12 now and running old school analog gauges

OK you have me interested, tell me more about the troll feature? Thanks
On the smartcraft gauges, you can adjust RPM's by 10 rpm's per push of the button so you can fine tune your trolling speed better than you can using the controls. Or the tachometer adjusts the speed with the push of a button.

On the smartcraft gauges, you can adjust RPM's by 10 rpm's per push of the button so you can fine tune your trolling speed better than you can using the controls. Or the tachometer adjusts the speed with the push of a button.
It’s as much a game changer as auto pilot

Could always go the route of the vessel view for your phone/ipad. It’s on Amazon for $320 right now.

I feel kind of sad. 😞 not sure most boat owners put a year of their life into building it. Oh well at least I got 5 plus years with it. On to the next one… been creeping the used boats for the last couple weeks!
Just looking for something smaller?

There was a post on the forum a few weeks ago about a place in Vancovuer where they do machining of nylon parts.

I would like them to make me a spacer from a block of Nylon. Does any one know a place that can do that?

I have a Burwiin bait board mount but I need to have a spacer made to allow the bait board to be higher than the gunnel so it will sit level

I need about a 4 " spacer machined This was an idea that I had that dead reckoning and guesstimation didn't work out as planned

Last edited:
There was a post on the forum a few weeks ago about a place in Vancovuer where they do machining of nylon parts.

I would like them to make me a spacer from a block of Nylon. Does any one know a place that can do that?

I have a Burwiin bait board mount but I need to have a spacer made to allow the bait board to be higher than the gunnel so it will sit level

I need about a 4 " spacer machined This was an idea that I had that dead reckoning and guesstimation didn't work out as planned
Just an idea but I machined a spacer from HMWP. It works easily with common woodworking tools. I only needed 2" thick so I laminated 1" scrap ($20). I cut the outside circumference with a hole saw - go slow so it doesn't heat up. Then I re-drilled the inside to the correct diameter. A drill press helps. If you flame treat the plastic, polyurethane glue works quite well for laminating.

Just an idea but I machined a spacer from HMWP. It works easily with common woodworking tools. I only needed 2" thick so I laminated 1" scrap ($20). I cut the outside circumference with a hole saw - go slow so it doesn't heat up. Then I re-drilled the inside to the correct diameter. A drill press helps. If you flame treat the plastic, polyurethane glue works quite well for laminating.

Thanks for your response and for 99.9 % of the folks on here it was a great suggestion. But......

Now I am going to give you a hint why I am looking for a place that could do this for me.

When you mentioned HMWP I immediately wondered how High Molecular Weight Proteins could possibly become part of this project.

Then I thought you must mean something else. What is HMWP?

I don't really have any of the tools (drill press, common woodworking tools, a hole saw, etc. ) I can service my motorcycle change tires by hand , etc but anything that involves woodworking skills or the potentail loss of life or fingers I leave to the pros.

I read your suggestion to my wife as she walked by and she said, "these guys have no clue about how limited your skills are in doing that kind of stuff. Tell them you aren't allowed to ruin our boat."

https://www.mcmaster.com/products/p...easy-to-machine-delrin-acetal-af-resin-tubes/

As long as a precise length and square cut isn't required this might work.

Thanks for your response and for 99.9 % of the folks on here it was a great suggestion. But......

Now I am going to give you a hint why I am looking for a place that could do this for me.

When you mentioned HMWP I immediately wondered how High Molecular Weight Proteins could possibly become part of this project.

Then I thought you must mean something else. What is HMWP?

I don't really have any of the tools (drill press, common woodworking tools, a hole saw, etc. ) I can service my motorcycle change tires by hand , etc but anything that involves woodworking skills or the potentail loss of life or fingers I leave to the pros.

I read your suggestion to my wife as she walked by and she said, "these guys have no clue about how limited your skills are in doing that kind of stuff. Tell them you aren't allowed to ruin our boat."
It's not proteins - it's polyethylene. Maybe you have a family member or friend that will help. It's pretty easy to do. Scrap HMWP sourced from Industrial Plastics. Build your skillset.

The tools you need are cheap. No drillpress? Everyone has a cordless drill these days, anyway. Just screw the scrap piece down to a bigger piece of plywood, etc. The risk potential is now zero. At $160 per hour in a shop, you could make your own spacers in about 20 minutes, pay for the tools you need and still be money ahead. Be brave! You can't mess this up. And, you'll become a hero at home. ☺

Last edited:

if you want to come to abbotsford i / we can get this done for you. will cost you lunch

Back