What Did You Do To Your Boat This Week?

Millermatic 180 autoset. Sweet little machine, have had it for well over a decade and it owes me nothing
Nice, I have a Lincoln 135 and Powermate 225 MIGs but neither will run a spool gun. Love my Everlast 210ext for all my TIG needs though. AC is obnoxiously loud but DC is so quiet and peaceful.

Nice, I have a Lincoln 135 and Powermate 225 MIGs but neither will run a spool gun. Love my Everlast 210ext for all my TIG needs though. AC is obnoxiously loud but DC is so quiet and peaceful.
That Everlast looks like a nice machine. I got the Primeweld TIG225x last year and it’s definitely more capable than I am, although I can make some decent aluminum welds with it. Haven’t even tried it on steel yet - Have the Miller set up for
flux core right now and it’s just so easy and fast

Got this for a deal I couldn’t refuse. Will fill the gaps for jobs too awkward for the AC/DC tig welder. Not sure what those jobs are quite yet, but you’d better bet I’m ready for them.
Spool mate 100 or 150?

Nice. I have a 100 that I got with a miller 141 off this forum. It works good for small items but need to take a lot of breaks if you have lots of welding to do. I since got the spoolmate 150 with a miller 211 and it’s night and day difference.

Nice. I have a 100 that I got with a miller 141 off this forum. It works good for small items but need to take a lot of breaks if you have lots of welding to do. I since got the spoolmate 150 with a miller 211 and it’s night and day difference.
The Miller 180 I have has a better duty cycle than the 141, so I hope that will be an advantage, but good to know the 150 is a worthy upgrade. This thing has been used once and I picked it up for $250. I don’t have any huge projects planned, so for the price I’m willing to wait around a bit for it to cool off.

But now that I have a spool gun, I could use a 12’ welded skiff….

Found suitable moorage for the time being. That doesn't sound like much but with the moorage shortage here on the north shore, this was a hail Mary that worked out of sorts. Doubles my transit time to English Bay but at least it's floating! It will be interesting to see if mcm is rebuilt.

In the process of building aluminum rod holders for the downrigger rods. Not interested in loosing another expensive rod and reel due to the plastic rod holder manufactured by Scotty.
Plenty Scotty rod holders out there so at a minimum if you are happy with continued use, to prevent failure and lose of your expense gear thoroughly check all plastic parts for cracks. Good luck!

In the process of building aluminum rod holders for the downrigger rods. Not interested in loosing another expensive rod and reel due to the plastic rod holder manufactured by Scotty.
Plenty Scotty rod holders out there so at a minimum if you are happy with continued use, to prevent failure and lose of your expense gear thoroughly check all plastic parts for cracks. Good luck!
Interested in seeing your design. Are you adding any mechanism for adjustments, or just fixed angles on a base plate that mounts under the downriggers?

Had a couple holes on the edge of my gunnels. And because I sometimes like to drift a fly I passed on filling them In and bent up some 1/4“ aluminum to make a couple quick detach brackets for my fly rod holders. Can barely see them but they attach to the existing holes with wingnuts. IMG_7940.jpegIMG_7942.jpeg

Is that just behind the bulkhead? Less chance of running into them when they’re up there.
Yes they are. About 10” back from the bulkhead so I can see them through the door or windows depending where I’m standing. Whole thing comes off with the two wingnuts for when I’m not dragging fur/feathers.

Last edited:
Interested in seeing your design. Are you adding any mechanism for adjustments, or just fixed angles on a base plate that mounts under the downriggers?
Fixed angle on base plate mounted on gunnel.
1/4" aluminum plate and 2" od tube. Material 15 bucks for both.
4 x 4 base plate, 10" oah, 55 deg up and 30 deg rearward mounted slightly forward of DR's. Not Scotty plastic so will be confident to remove the leashes from my gear.
Buddy to notch and weld. Thinking I might have them cerakoted silver. No more fear of loosing expensive gear and I'm sure I will sleep a bit easier!

Had a couple holes on the edge of my gunnels. And because I sometimes like to drift a fly I passed on filling them In and bent up some 1/4“ aluminum to make a couple quick detach brackets for my fly rod holders. Can barely see them but they attach to the existing holes with wingnuts. View attachment 103651View attachment 103652
FYI! Keep a close eye on the plastic post. Cracks, breaks off and gear goes for a swim. Cost me 1500 bucks!! Good luck.

@Rain City has Volvo out drives, I have a Wallas stove.
So nice when it works, can't even make cup of noodles when it's not.
Opened it up to fiddle and found out the nasty bugger was trying to burn it's way into the fridge of Lucky!
That's beyond fiddling, off to the shop with it!PXL_20240225_230414998.jpg

I mounted some new rod holders on the front for hali fishing this year. I also mounted a cleat up by my windlass as there was nothing to tie off to when anchored. And I started the layout process for my hard top.

Back