What Did You Do To Your Boat This Week?

Thanks! programming the mmsi numbers into standard horizon radios needs to be done by dealers for a fee, nice to know garmin ais is different. That’s pretty reasonable for getting what really is world class tracking.
I have a Standard Horizon VHF. If it's never had MMSI programmed, do it yourself - I did. If that number changes, then it's a factory reset.

I have a Standard Horizon VHF. If it's never had MMSI programmed, do it yourself - I did. If that number changes, then it's a factory reset.
When I got my Grady 12 years ago........ the ICOM radio had been programmed with a South Carolina MMSI. All my research said it's a one time thing or a factory reset. Not so, I got my new MMSI a few weeks after buying the boat, went to the manual and followed the instructions and it took the new number. The exact details are foggy after 12 years but it definitely took the new MMSI.

When I got my Grady 12 years ago........ the ICOM radio had been programmed with a South Carolina MMSI. All my research said it's a one time thing or a factory reset. Not so, I got my new MMSI a few weeks after buying the boat, went to the manual and followed the instructions and it took the new number. The exact details are foggy after 12 years but it definitely took the new MMSI.
I know that with mine, the owner had removed his from the unit. I keep forgetting to add one back in, but it's currently not reading one.

Yeah, it's likely brand and age dependent. The manual on my 8 year old unit says factory reset. I confirmed that with the radio tech in C.R. I was concerned with making a mistake entering the number but the process is straightforward.

Finally was able to launch it and go fishing after discovering it had rot in the stringers and transom last March. New stringers keel transom deck(all wood replaced) fixed leak in pod, installed rear helm 2 new batteries washdown pump fuel filter etc.. This week I installed the EVA flooring and the seats and that pretty much finished it off. Sure was lame last summer grinding and applying fiberglass instead of fishing but it feels great to be back on the water.
Everything new worked great but my existing little diesel heater was smoking like crazy so a replacement has been ordered

Finally was able to launch it and go fishing after discovering it had rot in the stringers and transom last March. New stringers keel transom deck(all wood replaced) fixed leak in pod, installed rear helm 2 new batteries washdown pump fuel filter etc.. This week I installed the EVA flooring and the seats and that pretty much finished it off. Sure was lame last summer grinding and applying fiberglass instead of fishing but it feels great to be back on the water.
Everything new worked great but my existing little diesel heater was smoking like crazy so a replacement has been ordered
Pics or none of it happened

Yeah, it's likely brand and age dependent. The manual on my 8 year old unit says factory reset. I confirmed that with the radio tech in C.R. I was concerned with making a mistake entering the number but the process is straightforward.
Yeah, some standard horizon you can, others you can not and have to send to the dealer for a fee. Just research before buying used and often dealers have rebates on new radios.

WELL complete rewire for ol bulewolf 2.0 I had a bit of a gremlin last year where the odd time the radio would come on and off for no reason and voltage would drop big time.
So thankfully my buddy whos a marine tech/installer we dug into it took out about 120 feet of wire and shortened runs up and bumped up the guage big time .
SO what we found one of the main leads from way back (probally when first wired) looked great felt great till we opened it up it had a open end lug where in marine its suppsed to be all closed end. So we bumped it up to a way bigger size wire anyways BUT we had to see why it was not good over many many years the wire was black/green almost a foot in. found 3 other issues where wires that looked ok really werent as we put alot of new ends on the wires and repalced any that were scketchy.
Also made a home made flushing kit so I can flush kicker and main all in one shot with out stepping onto the swim grid. with shut off valves etc.

Plus my yearly clean up of it in general found way too many spoons and flashers I dont know what creature keeps putting gear in my boat but seems to grow every year LOL

WELL complete rewire for ol bulewolf 2.0 I had a bit of a gremlin last year where the odd time the radio would come on and off for no reason and voltage would drop big time.
So thankfully my buddy whos a marine tech/installer we dug into it took out about 120 feet of wire and shortened runs up and bumped up the guage big time .
SO what we found one of the main leads from way back (probally when first wired) looked great felt great till we opened it up it had a open end lug where in marine its suppsed to be all closed end. So we bumped it up to a way bigger size wire anyways BUT we had to see why it was not good over many many years the wire was black/green almost a foot in. found 3 other issues where wires that looked ok really werent as we put alot of new ends on the wires and repalced any that were scketchy.
Also made a home made flushing kit so I can flush kicker and main all in one shot with out stepping onto the swim grid. with shut off valves etc.

Plus my yearly clean up of it in general found way too many spoons and flashers I dont know what creature keeps putting gear in my boat but seems to grow every year LOL
I spray all connections with Fluid Film. It takes up the tiny spaces that would otherwise be occupied by salty moisture and corrosion.

Good to go for March, see ya soon 👍

I spray all connections with Fluid Film. It takes up the tiny spaces that would otherwise be occupied by salty moisture and corrosion.
use corrosion bock etc that one main one had a open eye and the corroisin over many year it just crept up main issue was with the breaker on one side under the nut as well couldnt see anythinghe showed me lots I never knew. word of advice clean and check all terminal ends for corrosion an wire brush or just replace and proper shrink tubing, then spray...

Glad you got her sorted out! Pretty ship shape with new power and electrical now. Your friend is so busy he won’t return my calls! I better text him my Tofino dates to see if his camping aligns with mine this summer, nothing like a fishing bribe, I need a call back!

Transom on the 18’2” hourston done. 5 units of 3/8” ply, 4 units 1oz matte, 2 units 2oz matte and 2 units 17oz biaxial all said and done. Finished up thickness about 2.15”. Should be good for a 200 of some sorts. Started demolishing floors and stringers, what a travesty lol.IMG_9103.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_9099.jpeg
    IMG_9099.jpeg
    251.9 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_9100.jpeg
    IMG_9100.jpeg
    253.7 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_9101.jpeg
    IMG_9101.jpeg
    248.2 KB · Views: 55
Back