What Did You Do To Your Boat This Week?

Not on the boat but could be used for launching? Anyone launch with their front hitch ever? I added it to put the bikes on the front when towing the boat and the camper. Fishing the bolts through the frame was a lot of fun. Got it off a mechanic in Nanaimo who made me chuckle for days, and got the bolts from Baker Auto Supply, really great to deal with.
IMG_0860.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0860.jpeg
    IMG_0860.jpeg
    320 KB · Views: 20
I have a front receiver on my truck that was installed when I bought it. Never used for launching but is great if you have to tuck your trailer into a tight spot, definitely used it a few times for that.

Not on the boat but could be used for launching? Anyone launch with their front hitch ever? I added it to put the bikes on the front when towing the boat and the camper. Fishing the bolts through the frame was a lot of fun. Got it off a mechanic in Nanaimo who made me chuckle for days, and got the bolts from Baker Auto Supply, really great to deal with.
View attachment 102445
Launching, maybe, but not sure about retrieving a loaded boat this way.

View attachment 102445
I have a front hitch and use it to push the boat into garage-much easier and can do it myself-no divorce worthy directional help needed/ Happy wife-happy life

Launching, maybe, but not sure about retrieving a loaded boat this way.
Definitely do not want to overload your diff's ring and pinion in reverse, especially if spinning the tires and then finding sudden traction. The coast side of the R&P is weaker than the drive side, and by the design of the gears, they pull apart in reverse. Probably fine for a runabout, but maybe not worth the risk for a 10k lb boat up a steep ramp

sorry in advance for the long post I know lots of guys aren’t a fan of the ez steer to be honest it’s not my first choice but I picked up a unit from a member had to buy a few other brackets and modify it a bit it’s on my 1802 trophy I have large offset with my fixed kicker bracket plus design of the boat I tried multiple times to fab up my own quick connect bar which worked great on my hourston for years but the angles were just to extreme for it to work well on this boat I have the bay star hydraulic steering which isn’t compatible with the sea star kicker cable tie bar that was recommended to me by a local shop (for anyone wondering) being an 18’ boat I really didn’t want to or have the room to add a rear helm without it being awkwardly in the way I looked the the wireless remote steering options again being an 18’ boat with 2 batteries,onboard charger ect in the stern my mounting options were very slim so I figured I would try the ez steer as a last resort I believe a lot of guys get to short or long of a bar after playing around with different mounting options I flipped the kicker mount to correct the angle the bar has lots of room for travel I can lift both motors independently with the bar attached as well as tilt the kicker with the main down and have full steering won’t know how well it works until seatrials but it seems to be working quite well.

Attachments

• AF0CF25D-13AA-47D7-B5A7-7EB7D974B305.jpeg
    AF0CF25D-13AA-47D7-B5A7-7EB7D974B305.jpeg
    187.5 KB · Views: 77
  • 39DB5806-784C-4829-8A8E-6B0A478A436B.jpeg
    39DB5806-784C-4829-8A8E-6B0A478A436B.jpeg
    214.2 KB · Views: 75
New maple outwales, upgraded the sliding seat, and installed a bilge pump.
20240207_134508.jpg

Finally got Class B AIS installed. For some reason it was a big PITA. I purchased a pre-owned Garmin unit (talk about being a risk-taker...ha ha)
It received data fine but initially it wouldn't transmit . I finally put the GPS puck on the wheelhouse roof and disconnected the splitter. Once I could see the target on marine traffic dot com I reattached the splitter and put the GPS puck on the front console which is where I want it and the signal kept refreshing so all appears to be good.

I think the real problem was my boat is in a storage yard in the middle of nowhere and the receiving tower is over on the mainland maybe 40 miles away so it took a loooong time for the tower to recognize my signal
I'm guess once I'm on the water I won't have that issue

Definitely worth having an AIS transponder---it's a safety issue on different levels---your family can track your whereabouts on a computer screen, if you have an emergency SARS knows where you are (depending on refresh rate) and last but not least, when you're going through Dodd Narrows or the Yucultas or any tight pass with limited visibility, oncoming traffic with AIS Rx knows your position and heading before they physically lay an eye on you.

And me being the sneaky guy I am, I wired it to a rocker switch so if I want to go into stealth mode, I can turn of AIS Tx but maintain AIS Rx via the NMEA2000 AIS enabled VHF radioIMG_1830.jpeg

Finally got Class B AIS installed. For some reason it was a big PITA. I purchased a pre-owned Garmin unit (talk about being a risk-taker...ha ha)
It received data fine but initially it wouldn't transmit . I finally put the GPS puck on the wheelhouse roof and disconnected the splitter. Once I could see the target on marine traffic dot com I reattached the splitter and put the GPS puck on the front console which is where I want it and the signal kept refreshing so all appears to be good.

I think the real problem was my boat is in a storage yard in the middle of nowhere and the receiving tower is over on the mainland maybe 40 miles away so it took a loooong time for the tower to recognize my signal
I'm guess once I'm on the water I won't have that issue

Definitely worth having an AIS transponder---it's a safety issue on different levels---your family can track your whereabouts on a computer screen, if you have an emergency SARS knows where you are (depending on refresh rate) and last but not least, when you're going through Dodd Narrows or the Yucultas or any tight pass with limited visibility, oncoming traffic with AIS Rx knows your position and heading before they physically lay an eye on you.

And me being the sneaky guy I am, I wired it to a rocker switch so if I want to go into stealth mode, I can turn of AIS Tx but maintain AIS Rx via the NMEA2000 AIS enabled VHF radioView attachment 102859
What did it cost you? Did you have to transfer/re-register it? Sure nice to have.

I installed a new Tie-Bar for my Yamaha 9.9HP Kicker today.

When I got the boat home after the first sea trial I noticed the Tie-bar got a bit bent.

I mocked up a couple of different brackets and I was mostly happy with it but the fuel line was rubbing on the quick release so I made a new one today that was a bit lower profile.

I also added a block of Aluminum and installed a spare quick release connector so I can lock the Kicker in the stored position while under way or towing on the trailer and it's not jumping around.

The bent Tie-bar

IMG_5366.JPG

The new Tie-bar and machined bracket, I bought the parts, 30" Stainless Rod and quick disconnects from Mcmaster Carr.
I also got some heat shrink tubing and installed that to protect the cables from the threaded rod.

IMG_5890.jpg

IMG_5892.jpg

The stowed position with my modified Panther Tie-bar
IMG_5888.jpg

Just need to pretty the brackets up a bit by taking all the sharp corners off so I don't skin a knuckle and maybe some paint to match the motors.

David.

I installed a new Tie-Bar for my Yamaha 9.9HP Kicker today.

When I got the boat home after the first sea trial I noticed the Tie-bar got a bit bent.

I mocked up a couple of different brackets and I was mostly happy with it but the fuel line was rubbing on the quick release so I made a new one today that was a bit lower profile.

I also added a block of Aluminum and installed a spare quick release connector so I can lock the Kicker in the stored position while under way or towing on the trailer and it's not jumping around.

The bent Tie-bar

IMG_5366.JPG

The new Tie-bar and machined bracket, I bought the parts, 30" Stainless Rod and quick disconnects from Mcmaster Carr.
I also got some heat shrink tubing and installed that to protect the cables from the threaded rod.

IMG_5890.jpg

IMG_5892.jpg

The stowed position with my modified Panther Tie-bar
IMG_5888.jpg

Just need to pretty the brackets up a bit by taking all the sharp corners off so I don't skin a knuckle and maybe some paint to match the motors.

David.
As a tradesman, I see evidence of pride in workmanship and ownership, that's a real professional job you've done on your unit, looks awesome!!

What did it cost you? Did you have to transfer/re-register it? Sure nice to have.

I got the Garmin 800 AIS (latest model) on eBay for $ 600 ..... saved a few hundred by buying used. The guy who sold it to me keyed in the new MMSI number (mine) but I know it's not a big deal to do yourself---just hook it up to a computer with a USB and fill in the MMSI and questionnaire about boat name etc....technically it's a requirement that a certified Garmin dealer who sells you the unit has to set up the MMSI but there are Youtube vids of guys doing it themselves

Although the Garmin 800 AIS has a built- in GPS I didn't want to take the chance of crappy AIS Rx/Tx from mounting deep inside my console so I bellied up to the bar for a Garmin GA-38 puck ($ 70 on eBay)

My line in the sand was I did not want to mount the GPS antenna on my wheelhouse roof as that's now covered with solar panels ---it seems to transmit/receive fine on the console just behind the wheelhouse glass....if I run into weak signals in that location this summer I'll tack it to the wheelhouse roof ( interior) but so far it seems like it does fine just up on the dashboard.

That orange warning light came on until I added the Garmin GPS puck so it didn't like using the internal antennaIMG_5613.jpegIMG_1790.jpeg GPS antenna

Last edited:
I got the Garmin 800 AIS (latest model) on eBay for $ 600 ..... saved a few hundred by buying used. The guy who sold it to me keyed in the new MMSI number (mine) but I know it's not a big deal to do yourself---just hook it up to a computer with a USB and fill in the MMSI and questionnaire about boat name etc....technically it's a requirement that a certified Garmin dealer who sells you the unit has to set up the MMSI but there are Youtube vids of guys doing it themselves

Although the Garmin 800 AIS has a built- in GPS I didn't want to take the chance of crappy AIS Rx/Tx from mounting deep inside my console so I bellied up to the bar for a Garmin GA-38 puck ($ 70 on eBay)

My line in the sand was I did not want to mount the GPS antenna on my wheelhouse roof as that's now covered with solar panels ---it seems to transmit/receive fine on the console just behind the wheelhouse glass....if I run into weak signals in that location this summer I'll tack it to the wheelhouse roof ( interior) but so far it seems like it does fine just up on the dashboard.

That orange warning light came on until I added the Garmin GPS puck so it didn't like using the internal antennaView attachment 102865View attachment 102866 GPS antenna
Thanks! programming the mmsi numbers into standard horizon radios needs to be done by dealers for a fee, nice to know garmin ais is different. That’s pretty reasonable for getting what really is world class tracking.

Back