What Did You Do To Your Boat This Week?

Not what I did but what I gotta to, took out the old wash down "FRIED" , New ones on it's way

Attachments

• 20210603_155141.jpg
    20210603_155141.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 75
Got lazy when I put my hydraulic steering in and left the old cable in, said to myself , just in case (hahaha), I just pro procrastinate because only way to get the cable out was gonna take some doing. Felt crappy about leaving it in so today I took it out ( it's for sale if anyone needs one) and it wasnt easy, going to make a trap door so I dont have to unscrew everything again. Hahaha

Attachments

• 20210604_151708.jpg
    20210604_151708.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 81
Well, turns out sending leg to a so called ‘professional’ certified Suzuki mechanic was a mistake. Wife dropped it off Tuesday, picked up an hr later said he couldn’t get the bearing carrier out, seized up he says. Put leg back in truck and strapped down for the wife didn’t say anything else. I get home from work to find this.
8B765501-E238-4525-BDE9-90EE422E27C2.jpegACF4BF44-4FB4-427F-8338-7F4A04938C9E.jpeg7F4C84C2-7D4C-465A-86C1-872FBC780456.jpegACF4BF44-4FB4-427F-8338-7F4A04938C9E.jpeg
Never said a word to the wife about the carrier being destroyed. Didn’t charge the hr labour, so I’m assuming he figured the blonde woman wouldn’t notice and maybe nobody would say anything? Well I had some questions for him, all I received were excuses and best he could do was a new replacement carrier at cost and his hr of labour on my dime. He refuses to work on the leg any further. So I went from an outer prop seal that needed changed to a completely useless lower unit. And I’m on the hook for it.
Hard to find good help in the okanagan, and the lack of transparency and accountability in today’s world is unfathomable.
Guess I better get to work on it myself, been soaking the lower unit in Diesel all week, head to town for a variety of pullers and some map gas to heat up the forward section of bearing carrier not just the rearward as mechanic had done.
Any other suggestions I’m all ears, or even a used 06’ish 30” rh rotation lower unit just in case...

Well, turns out sending leg to a so called ‘professional’ certified Suzuki mechanic was a mistake. Wife dropped it off Tuesday, picked up an hr later said he couldn’t get the bearing carrier out, seized up he says. Put leg back in truck and strapped down for the wife didn’t say anything else. I get home from work to find this.
View attachment 66645View attachment 66644View attachment 66646View attachment 66644
Never said a word to the wife about the carrier being destroyed. Didn’t charge the hr labour, so I’m assuming he figured the blonde woman wouldn’t notice and maybe nobody would say anything? Well I had some questions for him, all I received were excuses and best he could do was a new replacement carrier at cost and his hr of labour on my dime. He refuses to work on the leg any further. So I went from an outer prop seal that needed changed to a completely useless lower unit. And I’m on the hook for it.
Hard to find good help in the okanagan, and the lack of transparency and accountability in today’s world is unfathomable.
Guess I better get to work on it myself, been soaking the lower unit in Diesel all week, head to town for a variety of pullers and some map gas to heat up the forward section of bearing carrier not just the rearward as mechanic had done.
Any other suggestions I’m all ears, or even a used 06’ish 30” rh rotation lower unit just in case...
Supreme dick move for sure. Carma my friend he’ll get his not to worry.

Post his business name up so the word can be spread about this shyster.

After soaking get some heat onto the housing. Either with a torch or even boiling water works great. Boil it in a kettle and pour it best you can around the hub over the bearing while you have tension on it. If not well the housing is hooped anyways. You can get rough with it, maybe even cut it off if you have to doesn’t much matter at this point does it.

Supreme dick move for sure. Carma my friend he’ll get his not to worry.

Post his business name up so the word can be spread about this shyster.
I am giving him a chance to make the situation right today. Headed to Kelowna shortly. Perhaps talking in person will help, perhaps not. The busted bearing carrier does not bother me, although I would have rather stuffed two drywall screws in the outer prop shaft seal and popped it out with two pry bars. The proper way is to pull carrier, I’ve done it on a Zuke with twice as many hrs as this one. Still the chance is always there for heat to be needed and for something to break, it is aluminum. What I didn’t like is the lack of mention that the carrier was busted, and the refusal to continue work on it. Not to mention the long list of excuses and trying to throw the blame back on me, that’s not professional. I never mind paying good money for a jib that’s completed, in this case their was only more problems added. Had he removed carrier even all busted up and ordered another carrier I wouldn’t have thought anything of it, just chalk it up to another boat expense.
I’ve plenty of problems, I need solutions or at least options and ideas. He’s given me nothing besides problems. If he continues this path today I’ll be sure to forward info of who/where not to deal with.

very ******, he should have stopped his approach long before this. and give you options to repair or at least not wreck it completely unless it was you choice

Remembered why I was so bummed out when I mistakenly ran over my motive pressure bleeder after taking a brake fluid shower bleeding the actuator this morning at 6 am.

I hate trailers.

I am giving him a chance to make the situation right today. Headed to Kelowna shortly. Perhaps talking in person will help, perhaps not. The busted bearing carrier does not bother me, although I would have rather stuffed two drywall screws in the outer prop shaft seal and popped it out with two pry bars. The proper way is to pull carrier, I’ve done it on a Zuke with twice as many hrs as this one. Still the chance is always there for heat to be needed and for something to break, it is aluminum. What I didn’t like is the lack of mention that the carrier was busted, and the refusal to continue work on it. Not to mention the long list of excuses and trying to throw the blame back on me, that’s not professional. I never mind paying good money for a jib that’s completed, in this case their was only more problems added. Had he removed carrier even all busted up and ordered another carrier I wouldn’t have thought anything of it, just chalk it up to another boat expense.
I’ve plenty of problems, I need solutions or at least options and ideas. He’s given me nothing besides problems. If he continues this path today I’ll be sure to forward info of who/where not to deal with.
Well, got a new carrier $440 and he didn’t charge an hr for breaking the old one. Refused to work on the leg any further. Selka Boat Centre, west Kelowna. Still thinks he did nothing wrong, I’ve no idea what to say lol...

Selka did a full fluid change on my buddies boat. Kicker and main. Got it back and the leg was leaking oil like crazy. He mixed the drain plugs up which ended up cross threading one of them. I’ve heard some more interesting stories from others as well about them.
Ouch that’s a way easier job gone south! But he’s been doing it for 26 years and knows it all... too bad they don’t seem like bad people, and I get that those carrier’s can be cantankerous. But I’ve more respect for a mechanic that refuses to work on something than one that goes in over his/her head than plays the ‘it’s an old motor’ card. 1450 hrs is not old imo.

View attachment 66645View attachment 66644View attachment 66646View attachment 66644
E41D94E8-4375-4881-B264-09812C5B4EC2.jpeg
Two hrs of my time, 15 min on the slide hammer. Rest was digging up the abortion puller. I’m no 26yr marine mechanic but...

Ordered a new Sureflo Pro Blaster 2 wash down pump as mine is 15 years old and getting slow at priming itself, found the broken wire connection for my mast 360’ light and got that working only to discover that the stainless mast for it on my arch has a cracking weld…so will be taking the boat to Clarke Engineering for a reweld of that joint. 30 years of flexing in waves is its limit I guess. I had one of the 3 holes holding the kicker side mount controls strip out of the fibreglass, so filled the hole with 2 part epoxy, drilled it and now the screw bites in solid again. Tomorrow I will be pulling my power winch apart, do my annual clean and relube all the bearings and gears.

Back