What causes this? Warped reel.

Seagirt

So, I've had this happen once before when playing tug of war with a seal, but it happened again the other day for no apparent reason, not even fighting a fish, just setting lines. Not enough lubrication?ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439003517.000736.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1439003541.610071.jpg

Looks the line is completely jammed within the arbour of the reel. If the line is spooled on too tight, it will warp it.

Looks the line is completely jammed within the arbour of the reel. If the line is spooled on too tight, it will warp it.
Yeah putting on a 100 yard pad of Dacron can help prevent that the Dacron compresses and relieves some of the pressure-it's cheap too.

ouch, can you post a pict of the spool without the line? can see what failed in those picts

Mono, as you know, is very elastic. Numerous wraps with tension on the line generates enormous compression forces on the reel. Backing, as stated, will help. I use braid on all my reels and top it with 30 feet of mono. Give you better feel when fighting a fish and eliminates much of the compressive forces on the reel. Also pulls through the water better when on the downrigger.

Back