What are the best battery types for house and start?

Sir Reel

I just bought a Sea Sport with a Volvo Diesel. I need to change the batteries as they are over 5 years old.
Right now it has 3 deep cycle Interstate batteries. One as start on battery 1 and 2 as house on battery 2. Even with old batteries it starts great
This seems to have worked well for the previous owner. He probably starts and runs on both and then switches to 2 for at anchor or dock.
I talked to a Interstate rep and he says I should have a high MCA battery for start and then 2 deep cycles for house.
Thing is most time it will be on both and then you have 2 different battery types. Is that a problem?

I am thinking have 3 SRM-29 Deep Cycle/starting batteries.

What does everyone do out there for multiple battery systems?

Dave

Interesting question. I have a 5.0 L Volvo Penta I/O and have two Interstate deep cycle batteries (600 CCA) and this combo has been working just fine. My last boat had a 115 Merc 4 stroke and had an Interstate deep cycle as well as an Interstate Marine high CCA (ie non deep cycle) starting battery. This combo worked well also.

Personally I wouldnt change out batts that are working good, but thats just me.
Yep different batts for different jobs, you want high MCA for starting and deep cycle for house.
I'm not a fan of the duel purpose batteries, but never tried those ones just the ones from costco.

Been running Interstates for many years now.High MCA for starting,Deep cycle for the house. Get 5 years out of em
and buy a new one.Never a problem. I'm a firm believer in the old saying " if something works,stick with it!"

For house batteries, I have had great experience using a pair of Trojan T-105 6v golf cart batteries. These things are very very heavy, but have a ton of power and if treated well will last 10 years or longer. Mine were purchased new in 2007 and still have tons of life in them.

Can't go wrong with interstate deep cycle, Also Trojan batteries are excellent, put a new trojan in the motorhome for a house battery, wasn't cheap at 170 bucks but worth every penny, batteries in boats are like tires and brakes on a vehicle, you can buy lesser name brands but why would you. Battery wharehouse in Nanaimo has extremely friendly and knowledgeable staff.

im with 10 mile 2 6v for house batteries is better than 2 12v

Back