What Action Camera do you like?

I use 3 Waspcam Gideon's and like them a lot.They shoot 1080 at 60 frames a second so they're good for slow motion if needed.Also a time lapse mode for the runs out to the grounds and back.Comes with a wrist remote with a view screen to get your camera angles just right.For mounting systems I went with Ram mounts and am very happy with their versatility and quality.You can also buy double size battery packs that give you over 3 hrs. recording time which is helpful not having to change out batteries constantly.Got a ton of video from the boat and fishing the Cowichan River but have yet to learn how to edit video(computer illiterate lol).Maybe this year I'll get something done with it.

I use 3 Waspcam Gideon's and like them a lot.They shoot 1080 at 60 frames a second so they're good for slow motion if needed.Also a time lapse mode for the runs out to the grounds and back.Comes with a wrist remote with a view screen to get your camera angles just right.For mounting systems I went with Ram mounts and am very happy with their versatility and quality.You can also buy double size battery packs that give you over 3 hrs. recording time which is helpful not having to change out batteries constantly.Got a ton of video from the boat and fishing the Cowichan River but have yet to learn how to edit video(computer illiterate lol).Maybe this year I'll get something done with it.
Good stuff! I look forward to the results.

you can also get the little
cube go-pros without the display for about 250$ they work awesome but you just have to wait n edit footage on your laptop . they still use all the same gopro accessories except the housing , my fiance made a long rod with scotty ball mounts on it for underwater shots , for 500$ you could have one mounted on the deck and one ready to
dunk for the underwater shots..

you can also get the little
cube go-pros without the display for about 250$ they work awesome but you just have to wait n edit footage on your laptop . they still use all the same gopro accessories except the housing , my fiance made a long rod with scotty ball mounts on it for underwater shots , for 500$ you could have one mounted on the deck and one ready to
dunk for the underwater shots..
Cool, thanks! That’s the “session”model right?
I like the part about long rod and balls.

It really comes down to what you wish to accomplish. I use my mobile phone a lot, but I also have two GoPro hero 5 cameras, a JVC Adixxion, Samsung Galaxy camera, 5 pairs of video glasses, 5 Mini DV cameras, a Sony Sure Shot. I use them all for different stuff. I like GoPro because I can control them by remote wrist controls or sync them to my mobile and can be viewed and activated or shut down. I use my JVC Adixxion on an extendable stick for different angles. My Samsung Galaxy camera for zooming or quick streaming to the internet. Video glasses for a different perspective. I have lots so that anyone fishing with me can get shots too. The Sony Sure Shot is just a boat back up, just in case type of thing. Last but not least the Mini DV cameras are new to me and I am going to make a cheap underwater video camera for trolling. They all have a job. I use my phone the most though. :)
Hey Storm, I think you need to get into Drones, if you haven't . Your clients will love the action shots. Big hit on my boat.
The Mavic Pro has a follow me function and will stay above ya for 20-26 min. and follow you or who you point it on for great shots.

I've been using the GoPro Session cameras for 4 years now and have a simple routine that doesn't cost me more than 1-2 minutes of distraction all day while on the water. Everything is optimized for quick camera changes + recharging to maximize eyes-on-rods time.

I use the 1st-gen Hero Sessions (the cubes). They are $125 USD each, are waterproof (read: the audio is crystal clear -- no muffling due to a case), and can record 5.5 hours @ 1080P x 30 FPS on a 64GB microSD card. I could upgrade to the latest Session and get 4K recording, however battery life and length of recording will be shorter -- plus I think the HD video quality is more than adequate. The latest versions are well over $200 USD, too.

I have 4 cameras, but only need two over the course of a single day of fishing. Sometimes if I'm feeling adventurous, I'll use a third camera on a selfie-stick if I have a guest and want to send them home with some underwater footage of the fish or a separate camera angle. But mostly I use #3 and #4 as spares in case I forget to charge #1 and #2 or didn't download the video the last trip.

I have a single gooseneck mount directly above the bulkhead door on the cabin roof. The camera is pointed straight back and down a bit. The fisheye lens catches pretty much everything within ~160deg left-to-right and the entire cockpit and scenery (up and down). When bringing in a fish to the net, I try to net toward the stern if possible so as to capture as much of the action as possible.

Every 2.5 hours the camera battery will die and beep at you to replace it. I then unclip the camera from the mount and plug it into a portable USB charger I keep in the go pro case. I then hot-swap with the camera that was charging and clip it back into the mount. This swap-out takes all of ~20 seconds and you're back to fishing. Since the charging time is ~1 hour you can limit recording to just 2 cameras and minimize the number of cameras to download at home.

On the run back to the dock, I'll use the opportunity to wipe the cameras if there's no interesting footage and get them charged up for the next day. Back at home, I'll download only the 12 minute clips that are around the time of the footage I want to save. I'll save them in a folder with the date and location somewhere in the title. Then I'll wipe the cameras and charge everything up for the next day. After the seasons over, I'll sit down for a few hours and video-edit them down to single movies that capture the 20 seconds before the bite through the netting.

Besides keeping a log book of each fish I caught (tides, location, gear, etc), the use of cameras has significantly helped to catch more fish. Reviewing the footage of each strike has taught me that ~70% of my fish were caught because I did something different. i.e. turned the boat, changed speeds, came up/down 10ft on the riggers. You also get to review your mistakes, like horsing the fish in, dropping the rod tip, or not watching the rod when it's been bouncing for 10 seconds before you noticed. I keep video documentation of every legal sized fish I catch. To do this, the process of using cameras has to NOT be a chore -- and I think I have it dialed in pretty well. In total, I spend ~1-2 minutes on the water tending to the cameras and ~20 minutes at home saving video and clearing memory for the next day.

I've attached a couple pics of my cameras. The Go-pro case is not cheap ($50 USD) but is well worth the money, as it keeps everything tidy while on the boat and easy to grab in the morning.

Hope this helps.

-Barry

Attachments

• IMG_8032.jpg
    IMG_8032.jpg
    335.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_8033.jpg
    IMG_8033.jpg
    367.7 KB · Views: 18
I've been using the GoPro Session cameras for 4 years now and have a simple routine that doesn't cost me more than 1-2 minutes of distraction all day while on the water. Everything is optimized for quick camera changes + recharging to maximize eyes-on-rods time.

I use the 1st-gen Hero Sessions (the cubes). They are $125 USD each, are waterproof (read: the audio is crystal clear -- no muffling due to a case), and can record 5.5 hours @ 1080P x 30 FPS on a 64GB microSD card. I could upgrade to the latest Session and get 4K recording, however battery life and length of recording will be shorter -- plus I think the HD video quality is more than adequate. The latest versions are well over $200 USD, too.

I have 4 cameras, but only need two over the course of a single day of fishing. Sometimes if I'm feeling adventurous, I'll use a third camera on a selfie-stick if I have a guest and want to send them home with some underwater footage of the fish or a separate camera angle. But mostly I use #3 and #4 as spares in case I forget to charge #1 and #2 or didn't download the video the last trip.

I have a single gooseneck mount directly above the bulkhead door on the cabin roof. The camera is pointed straight back and down a bit. The fisheye lens catches pretty much everything within ~160deg left-to-right and the entire cockpit and scenery (up and down). When bringing in a fish to the net, I try to net toward the stern if possible so as to capture as much of the action as possible.

Every 2.5 hours the camera battery will die and beep at you to replace it. I then unclip the camera from the mount and plug it into a portable USB charger I keep in the go pro case. I then hot-swap with the camera that was charging and clip it back into the mount. This swap-out takes all of ~20 seconds and you're back to fishing. Since the charging time is ~1 hour you can limit recording to just 2 cameras and minimize the number of cameras to download at home.

On the run back to the dock, I'll use the opportunity to wipe the cameras if there's no interesting footage and get them charged up for the next day. Back at home, I'll download only the 12 minute clips that are around the time of the footage I want to save. I'll save them in a folder with the date and location somewhere in the title. Then I'll wipe the cameras and charge everything up for the next day. After the seasons over, I'll sit down for a few hours and video-edit them down to single movies that capture the 20 seconds before the bite through the netting.

Besides keeping a log book of each fish I caught (tides, location, gear, etc), the use of cameras has significantly helped to catch more fish. Reviewing the footage of each strike has taught me that ~70% of my fish were caught because I did something different. i.e. turned the boat, changed speeds, came up/down 10ft on the riggers. You also get to review your mistakes, like horsing the fish in, dropping the rod tip, or not watching the rod when it's been bouncing for 10 seconds before you noticed. I keep video documentation of every legal sized fish I catch. To do this, the process of using cameras has to NOT be a chore -- and I think I have it dialed in pretty well. In total, I spend ~1-2 minutes on the water tending to the cameras and ~20 minutes at home saving video and clearing memory for the next day.

I've attached a couple pics of my cameras. The Go-pro case is not cheap ($50 USD) but is well worth the money, as it keeps everything tidy and easy to grab in the morning.

Hope this helps.

-Barry

Thanks Crew Member BarryA! Awesome response!!

It would appear that you have done fishing videography right. If you’re okay with it I would like to see some video, both on the deck and underwater of the action you’ve captured. Seriously man, that’s a wicked cool setup and I appreciate the time you have spent showing us.

I made a purchase today on an action camera after doing a lot of research and reviews, I decided on a firefly 8SE. From the site bestgear.com. I have to say it’s the best action cam for the price and for where I’m at, I’m going to start with a beginner camera. It shoots 4K vid but I’ll be using 1080p because of image stabilization and higher images per second.
It got great reviews on daytime video and I’ve seen the examples. Also good reviews about the sound from the internal mic.
It was around $150cdn. If I do some filming and decide I want more cameras/ higher quality I might upgrade to GoPro stuff, but realistically I think this will be all that I need.
If all goes well I’ll be posting slo-mo video of a 30+ going in the net this summer :)

Happy new year y’all

I'm running Garmin virb x. Video and audio is just as good as a hero 6. But I can live stream and control 4 cameras at a time from my chartplotter

Impressive!
I always forgot to hit record on the gopros. Now I run my rear cameras on a quarter screen on my rear helm chartplotter with my map and sounder. When the rods bends I just hit record before I grab it.

Thanks Crew Member BarryA! Awesome response!!

It would appear that you have done fishing videography right. If you’re okay with it I would like to see some video, both on the deck and underwater of the action you’ve captured. Seriously man, that’s a wicked cool setup and I appreciate the time you have spent showing us.

Happy new year y’all

Here are a few I've uploaded that were taken from the GoPro. If the OneDrive vids are low-res then you're on a slow connection.

https://www.sportfishingbc.com/foru...-haida-gwaii-reports.65071/page-2#post-834623
https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=!AOzAig3ToutiGwA&cid=C1654C5743B62AB3&id=C1654C5743B62AB3!13261&parId=C1654C5743B62AB3!13257&o=OneUp
https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=C1654C5743B62AB3&id=C1654C5743B62AB3!4152&parId=C1654C5743B62AB3!4151&o=OneUp
https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=C165...B3!13263&parId=C1654C5743B62AB3!13257&o=OneUp (seal encounter)

Last edited:
I always forgot to hit record on the gopros. Now I run my rear cameras on a quarter screen on my rear helm chartplotter with my map and sounder. When the rods bends I just hit record before I grab it.

It may just be me, but the most interesting part of the video are the moments leading up to and through the bite. Hauling the fish in and netting it is not as interesting IMO. The **** is the pop. :)

It may just be me, but the most interesting part of the video are the moments leading up to and through the bite. Hauling the fish in and netting it is not as interesting IMO. The **** is the pop. :)
I agree. I might use some of your tips this year. Time to order some batteries.

It's always this time of year that I find myself back on Youtube digging around for downrigger hits. I'll try film some of my own this season and post them here. Thanks for the tips Barry and others.

I decided to cancel the order on the “imitation GoPro”
Ended up getting a GoPro 6 black for a bit more.
No point buying cheap crap and replacing it sooner than later.
I’m happy with my purchase!

Don’t have any info for stizzla but anyone know where I can get my phantom 4 professional fixed in Victoria camera isn’t getting picked up

Back